The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fighters may receive two-minute penalties for taking helmets off prior to fight.

I think it should be mandatory for both players to take off their helmets if only one guy is using a visor.. and if the stupid nhl takes out fighting , youll just see worse stick infractions ... are they turning this game into soccer ??????

Day was going great till I stopped by this thread. I have been watching/playing hockey for far too long to see fights eliminated. NHL is getting worse every year. The powers that be have literally taken the responsibility of players own actions our of their hands. No need to keep your head up anymore; please go ahead run that teams star player.

I am against staged fights for sure, but heat of the moment fights? Those are awesome.

Day was going great till I stopped by this thread. I have been watching/playing hockey for far too long to see fights eliminated. NHL is getting worse every year. The powers that be have literally taken the responsibility of players own actions our of their hands. No need to keep your head up anymore; please go ahead run that teams star player.

I am against staged fights for sure, but heat of the moment fights? Those are awesome.

Couldnt agree more.

I sold some Texan friends of mine on Hockey, a few Houston Aeros games in fact is what it took to witness how volatile Hockey can be. They loved the speed and skill...but that was all compounded by the fights. They were sold. And those were heat of the moment fights. I loved hinting to them as to why they fought in the first place.

Im precious about Hockey, and fighting is a part of this game. To know it is a $$$ making pro league that sanctions fighting is fully entertaining.

The retards in the small markets could absolutely be appealed to with that facet of the game.

That being said...it is a stupid rule. If that goes into place, then you should have to fight with gloves on.

Fair frigging game.

Concussions are the trend of worry right now. Rightfully so. Fighting in my estimation probably falls into a lower % of connection to concussions.

Concussions are the trend of worry right now. Rightfully so. Fighting in my estimation probably falls into a lower % of connection to concussions.

One of the worst parts was when they had ex-fighters companging to stop fighting. The same ex-fighters who's money was made purely for fighting. The same ex-fighters who CHOSE to fight on a daily basis. For them to turn around 4,5 or 10 years later to say it should be banned because of concussions are immensely hypocritical. I'm sorry but when two "adults" consent to dropping their gloves in order to prove a point I welcome it with excitement. There is no way you can tell me that the first or any thought that came into their heads ran along the lines of " if only there was rule that would make this illegal so I don't have to use what little common sense I entered the game with to figure out if I will get injured in some way"

No this never happens because they know the risks, they knew exactly what they were doing. I am getting alarmingly more disgusted with the direction the NHL is taking this every year. This needs to get to a point where someone stops this and says " you know guys I think it's time we step out of this for a bit while you guys learn the respect for each other we have helped you forget all these years.

I'm not holding my breath however.

When's the last time someone died in a hockey fight taking his helmet off?

For argument's sake, that senior league guy a few years ago who took off his helmet for a fight, struck his head on the ice, and later died.

Regardless, this is a clear attempt at phasing out fighting. Load of crap.

When's the last time someone died in a hockey fight taking his helmet off?

For argument's sake, that senior league guy a few years ago who took off his helmet for a fight, struck his head on the ice, and later died.

Regardless, this is a clear attempt at phasing out fighting. Load of crap.

One of the worst parts was when they had ex-fighters companging to stop fighting. The same ex-fighters who's money was made purely for fighting. The same ex-fighters who CHOSE to fight on a daily basis. For them to turn around 4,5 or 10 years later to say it should be banned because of concussions are immensely hypocritical. I'm sorry but when two "adults" consent to dropping their gloves in order to prove a point I welcome it with excitement. There is no way you can tell me that the first or any thought that came into their heads ran along the lines of " if only there was rule that would make this illegal so I don't have to use what little common sense I entered the game with to figure out if I will get injured in some way"

No this never happens because they know the risks, they knew exactly what they were doing. I am getting alarmingly more disgusted with the direction the NHL is taking this every year. This needs to get to a point where someone stops this and says " you know guys I think it's time we step out of this for a bit while you guys learn the respect for each other we have helped you forget all these years.

I'm not holding my breath however.

Good points, but you have to acknowledge that while you dislike staged fights, you bring up those retired players that disavow fighting, when in fact many of those players participated in staged fights.

Now, its not lost on me that those dudes also come from a different era where the context still lended itself to the old school, and guys that CAN fight and are presently known for doing so are a breed of player being phased out. Then again, there are also those bottom-6 forwards that will drop the gloves, and generally they are heat of the moment altercations.

But i do also agree that the code has been slowly eroded by the NHL. Its stupid, and much of what is actually wrong with player respect has been blurred.

The genesis of it all is the instigator rule. Bar none.

The "code" should have evolved amongst the pros. No matter what your roster role is...you take your helmet off, drop the gloves and do your thang.

Slipping to the ice and cracking you head is part of the danger. I do not think any player that fights wants that to happen. But physics happen.

concussions have dropped since fighting started to rise. funny stat. and i agree fighting is the lower percent for cause of concussion.

Remove fights completely, and enforce the rulebook to the T so that no enforcer is needed on the teams.

i played one game in church league and they gave two minutes for swearing maybe the nhl could add that too. 5 minor major for tripping , 10 minute game misconduct for slashing . 4 game suspension for hitting . players then could put little flags on their jerseys and players could just touch those to get the puck. disney could then sponsor the nhl. love it.

This is meant to reduce concussions, both from punches and from falling and hitting your head on the ice. Understandable rule. The risk of hurting ones hand is not as bad as the risk of being concussed. I see plenty of fights already where the helmets stay on. I remember Bieksa was talking about it in an interview and was saying how he liked that it softened the blows.

Weird

there is a reason for ice packs in the penalty box , fist on hemelt is the major reason for that. and by softing the blow it mean you feel it less when you are being striked , not the other way around. check out pictures and read other interviews on the damge a helmet can do to someones hand . it gets pretty nasty.

there is a reason for ice packs in the penalty box , fist on hemelt is the major reason for that. and by softing the blow it mean you feel it less when you are being striked , not the other way around. check out pictures and read other interviews on the damge a helmet can do to someones hand . it gets pretty nasty.

How many times have you seen a guy with a helmut on lead with his helmut. He knows the guy throwing'em will likely hit the helmut. Used to be if you got it a fight you didn't want you either hugged the opponent or turtled. Comes to a fight it should be an extra 2 minutes if you keep the helmut on.

I'd like to see stats on how many players concussions from fighting vs. freak accidents.

At any rate, I hate the sound of this rule. Players will just end up breaking their hands more often now.

i know john scott gave shawn thornton 1. zack gave 1 to a already concussion prone ben eager. and frazer mclaren gave 1 to drzinsky. off the top of my head. i can only think of 3 as a result of fighting this last year.

Archived