The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How about some happy news for once :)

RainbowTimScott.jpg

Just as Vancouver’s Pride Week kicks off, on July 29, Coun. Tim Stevenson unveiled Vancouver’s four rainbow crosswalks at Davie and Bute streets—Canada’s first permanent ones—in the heart of the Davie Village. (The plan to create these crosswalks was originallyannounced on July 3.)

Stevenson said it helped to reflect the area's signficance as the “gay village”.

“This really does mark the strongest support the city has ever shown towards the GLBTQ community,” he said at a press conference at the West End intersection. “Obviously the mayor is very, very supportive and the council is very supportive and we have an inclusive city, and a multicultural city, and everyone is welcome in our city, and all of the traditions are celebrated and that’s the same with our gay community.”

Stevenson, who is an out-gay councilor, also provided some historical perspectives.

“Obviously, we have come a long, long way in a very short time. When I came out 35 years ago, the situation was not as it is today and I, along with many, many other people, have worked for and dreamed for the day that we would have an inclusive city that was recognized by all levels of government…and that’s what’s happened.”

City of Vancouver Streets Activities Engineer Scott Edwards said that city crews installed it in the middle of the night, due to lower traffic volumes. The crosswalks were made with thermal plastic, which is used for other road markings but was tinted with different colours for the rainbow crosswalks. The colourful intersection is a few steps away from the Bute Street entrance of Qmunity, B.C.'s queer resource centre.

The south side of Bute Street has been cordoned off and filled with picnic tables. Each picnic table will be painted a different colour. Stevenson helped to paint one table green as media looked on.

The approximate total cost of crosswalk and plaza—which includes landscaping and picnic tables, was a recommendation of the Transportation 2040 plan, and is part of the West End community plan—was $25,000.

In 2012, a trial run of the rainbow crosswalks was held at Denman and Davie Streets.

Mayor Gregor Robertson will make an official Pride Week proclamation today at City Hall.

The Vancouver Pride parade will be held on Sunday (August 4).

This is all ridiculous... if white people wanted a white person parade, there would be wars, same if black people wanted it. If someone wanted a Christian parade there would be an uproar again, same as atheist. They should ban parades!

Jason Colin's (NBA) "I'm gay"

Media reaction "he is a hero" gets call from Obama

Tebow "I'm Christian"

Media reaction "keep it to yourself"

At this point in time it is more honorable to be gay than Christian.

I don't disagree, or have a problem with it

I just don't see the point and I don't see what they are trying to accomplish.

Jason Colin's (NBA) "I'm gay"

Media reaction "he is a hero" gets call from Obama

Tebow "I'm Christian"

Media reaction "keep it to yourself"

At this point in time it is more honorable to be gay than Christian.

I don't disagree, or have a problem with it

I just don't see the point and I don't see what they are trying to accomplish.

I have no problem with gays and I'm not thumping my bible. I watched a parade in Victoria a while back it was freakin hilarious ( in a good way)

I'm just confused as to why it's that big of a deal.

So you like the same sex, big deal.

Why do gay people want to be defined by sexuality?

I have the outmost respect for any person and I find homophobia disgraceful, I just think stuff like this actually segregates gay people from the general public rather than uniting them.

You don't need to dress in drag waving a rainbow flag to support human rights. Just be nice to people, and stand up for them and help them when they need you.

I have no problem with gays and I'm not thumping my bible. I watched a parade in Victoria a while back it was freakin hilarious ( in a good way)

I have the outmost respect for any person and I find homophobia disgraceful, I just think stuff like this actually segregates gay people from the general public rather than uniting them.

You don't need to dress in drag waving a rainbow flag to support human rights. Just be nice to people, and stand up for them and help them when they need you.

Well it likely has to do with the fact that gays and lesbians have been targets of bullying and harassment so it's a showing of unity and support. It's about empowerment and celebration that sends a message that it's ok to walk through the streets and be happy.

Strength in numbers, and it's a chance for the community to rally around people in raising awareness about tolerance and acceptance. And yes, that happens with other groups as well.

Archived