The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Liles to be bought out

Gillis knows he can get something back for Luongo regardless. Aquilini wasn't set on paying Luongo for over 10 years close to 33 million when he's not even going to be on the team.

If we bought out Luongo, 29 other teams would go hard after Luongo and Gillis and Aquilini know it

If they were going to buyout Liles they should have used a compliance one on him.

This shows the extra stupidity of buying out Grabovski since they could have moved him for another player with a $3.0 mil or thereabouts cap hit. This is effectively the space they are looking for here.

Total mismanagement and, regardless of the media hype, I think TO will take step back this year. They might recover the following season but Leafs fans are going to be in for some disappointment this year. I don't think it's vey likely they will be one of the four teams to come out of their division as Det, Ott and Bos are locks.

If they were going to buyout Liles they should have used a compliance one on him.

This shows the extra stupidity of buying out Grabovski since they could have moved him for another player with a $3.0 mil or thereabouts cap hit. This is effectively the space they are looking for here.

Total mismanagement and, regardless of the media hype, I think TO will take step back this year. They might recover the following season but Leafs fans are going to be in for some disappointment this year. I don't think it's vey likely they will be one of the four teams to come out of their division as Det, Ott and Bos are locks.

This doesn't make any sense though. If Nonis was going to buy out Liles he would have used his compliance buyout on Liles and regular buyout with Komisarek because the cap hit would have been less with shorter term. Unless Nonis is a complete idiot and totally screwed up this rumor doesn't make sense.

With the changing landscape of the CBA, perhaps he couldn't get moved due to his contract. He was overpaid a bit so that would have factored in, and if they couldn't have taken back a similar (but perhaps lesser) contract or afforded to retain cap/salary in the deal then that probably kept anything from happening.

Toronto certainly hasn't learned from that, and they might have been able to do much better by not putting themselves in the situation they're in, but I'm not sure he would have been an easy trade where they could dump a reasonable amount of cap hit.

This doesn't make any sense though. If Nonis was going to buy out Liles he would have used his compliance buyout on Liles and regular buyout with Komisarek because the cap hit would have been less with shorter term. Unless Nonis is a complete idiot and totally screwed up this rumor doesn't make sense.

Adding to my previous post I don't understand the Clarkson signing considering they had MacArthur who is now playing for Ottawa. He has great possession stats, would have been an excellent third liner which is what Clarkson really is. Well maybe a second liner but he only has a couple of years left of producing points. Yet a player like Damian Brunner is still available, would fit there system and give them more offense for longer. Would love a behind the scene's look at the off season. Would make an excellent TV series.

Forget Grabovski they used a compliance on Komisarek who was bought out when he only had 1 year remaining on his contract. His non compliance would of been 1.16 M for 2 years saving 3.4 million aprox compared to Liles who they will have to pay 875K over 6 years saving 3M.

Hope the leafs enjoyed their playoffs last season because that team is going to struggle again with continued mismanagement.

Apparently they tried to trade him, even taking some of his cap hit, and got no takers. I just don't know why they traded him. He's more of a second liner than Clarkson. Saying this, I never really watched him play so I could be totally wrong.

Archived