The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Horvat and Shinkaruk to start season with Canucks

hockeyville88

off on a rant here... but i have to say that it is obvious that bo is here just because gillis needs him to provide a good reason why the canucks only got him for shneider.... i think gaunce looked pretty good as well and i am happy hunter made it but what the heck why not corrado..... i thought corrado played pretty good.

These are organizational decisions.

Torts barely has a grasp on whom plays on this team.

Just last week he was stating he heard Burrows had some success with the twins in the past.

The .org has to moneyball Schroeder as he is the next asset to turn or play.

Horvat gets nine games until Schroeder gets healthier.

Shinkaruk has a legitimate shot but will also be sent back down,IMO.

It makes no sense to risk their careers to potential injuries.

They will both be given a limited taste of real NHL play and life to inspire them.

Exactly, the sixth D spot is open and yes Corrado can work on his game but he is better than both Alberts and the new dude from mtl. Alberts can play spot games where they need the size.

He definitely outplayed his 'competition' more than Horvat and that is the telling sign. I do think that yes Corrado will benefit from playing 20 mins a game vs 9 though, and part of this is likely how Torts plays his guys, he leans on his top 6 and top 4 dmen pretty hard (ie why he's so focused on fitness - they need to be to handle how much ice he gives them)....

Result, he's not like AV who spreads the ice a little more evenly.

But, long story short, Horvat looked 'ok' but certainly didn't stand out and I'd argue had Cassels been given the full camp he may have looked better..

Pure optics by MG the spin master.

Here are our centers without Horvat to start the season:

Sedin, Kesler, Santorelli, Richardson.

If one of these guys gets injured before Schroeder comes back, we're screwed, unless you're comfortable with Lain as our 4th line center. We already have Burrows centering the 2nd PP unit.

Corrado can be easily recalled if we have injuries. Horvat can't.

To be fair chum, I'm not that sure that Tortorella would have been any more "rookie friendly" with the likes of Grabner (who was not ready to be in the NHL when he was drafted), White, Hodgson (like Grabner was also not ready for the NHL at 18 yrs old), Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce.

Might Tortorella have handled Grabner and/or Hodgson differently? (Readers should feel free to read this as meaning "better" if that suits you.) Absolutely. This being said, I can't say that things would have turned out any differently.

I believe Grabner would still have been a lazy defensive player which wouldn't have won him any plaudits from Tortorella, and would have earned him little time in the NHL. Hodgson would still be playing behind Sedin and Kesler, in the 3C spot, which was not a position which best suited his style of play, and it was certainly not a position where he wanted to be.

And if anyone wants to try and make a case for Gaunce, where is he starting the season under Tortorella? Last I heard he was going to Uttica. And while Jensen is injured, I'm thinking that he will also be spending most (if not all) of this season in Uttica. And this is when they are both a year older and with more experience than they had under AV.

Of Horvat and Shinkaruk, I'm thinking they get ice time until guys like Kassian and Schroeder come back. Hopefully they will make good use of their time while they are up here. :)

regards,

G.

Archived