The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Horvat and Shinkaruk to start season with Canucks

hockeyville88

Nobody is any further ahead by getting injured blocking a shot in pre-season.

I like Schroeder as he is intelligent and has the potential to initiate changes to his skill set to make the NHL.

Enduring pain is one thing,blocking shots at the NHL level and getting injured is another.

The kid could lose use chance to make it if he gets seriously hurt blocking a shot that means absolutely nothing.

I'd disagree with the statement that Torts isn't as rookie friendly (or you insinuate it)...I think he is MORE rookie friendly, but he has higher expectations of what / how a player needs to contribute (regardless of age) on his teams.

AV had a view, you're young you need to play D. If you dont make errors defensively I'll play you. Even if you are an offensive superstar I don't care, defense first and figure out how to score later but that was it.

Torts is more about who brings ALL the aspects of a player on whichever line I play him on regardless of age. If you're young but you are playing like a 2nd line NHL'er you will play. If you're young and a 4th liner and you are playing like he expects a 4th liner needs to play you will play.

In the end, Guance (back to Bellville btw, not Utica not old enough yet) was not ready. He is too slow right now, so he needs to work on his footspeed and his stride, he needs to get "man strong" , he needs to learn to be physical and use his size, he needs to get better in the face off circle. There are LOTS of areas he needs to improve on, he is/was not ready.

As others have alluded, there are many reasons why Bo and Hunter are still here. Bo arguably as an insurance at center and also because MG needs to save face.

Bo is also not "ready" and you can tell by where he was played in camp, how Torts speaks of him etc. He also needs to improve in pretty much all the same areas as Gaunce (although he was quite good in the circle).

Hunter appears the most 'ready' out of all em and thats why Torts is giving him a shot AND its because Kassian is suspended. My guess, if Kass is not out, both of those guys are back to junior.

Personally, I think they are getting a 'taste' in order to motivate them to improve, dominate in junior and also for them to see what Torts expects from his NHL'ers.

Given those 2 (Bo and Hunter) will likely be best positioned to push for a FT role next year, it will be good for them both to go through 9 games with the big club and really see what he is going to expect from them and how hard they will need to work in junior and the offseason. I would think Gaunce will see a year in Utica before he's brought up to push for a role.

Always a method to the madness...but I dont think Torts is less open than AV. I just think Torts expects alot more out of ALL of his players than AV did and you can see it..this was a 'soft team' mentally..and Torts is pushing it out of em, and it starts as he says frequently by playing 'stiffer' by being a tough team to play against.

Being a tough team to play against is a mindset. Doesn't matter if you're young or old you have to bring that...with him, which is tougher for young kids who are just developing confidence, bc you need a swagger, some cockiness. Interesting that the one kid who really has that, seems to have impressed the most hey? coincidence, i think not

Gaunce scored some gritty goals, Horvat made a couple of nice passes, but to be honest they were both brutal defensively compared to our real NHL centers. Even if Horvat makes the team he should be on the wing to start as they have far less responsibilities defensively, but I just don't think either are truly NHL ready. Schroeder is the only one I would trust over an extended period of time as he has shown consistency at the NHL level. Rookies always score in bunches but show lots of inconsistencies at the NHL level over an entire season.

Yes..... Because I love watching a 5'9 sprite develop these past 4 years.... And so far he has done.....what? Oh ya.... And add to the fact that this sprite just had shoulder surgury.... Why was that? From getting crushed..... I promise you.... If this guy bags atleast 40 points this year, I will sponsor you tix for you and a date

Archived