The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] NYI Matt Moulson + Picks for BUF Thomas Vanek

Strombone1

its interesting you brought up how many points Seguin has in this young season while disregarding that Kessel is 2nd in the NHL behind Sid

still waiting on how any player from that trade (not from the Stars) could have nearly as big an impact on this offensively challenged team

If the Leafs are anything, they are a possession challenged team - and Kessel is part and parcel of that.

I get a kick out of this often repeated theory that poor Kessel is held back by his lack of supporting cast. Kessel is the guy propped up by his linemates and team-mates. Without decent two way linemates, Kessel is even more of a glaring liability. Put three Kessels on a line together and you have the most useless one dimensional line in the NHL, that gets owned all over the ice.

You can have Kessel. I'd launch him and his contract in a heartbeat for the package the Bruins stole from Toronto.

But I'm debating here with someone who framed that deal as Seguin and "someone else", so clearly your concept of who the players we are talking about is challenged, as is also evidenced by the fact you think Peverley is the type of player a team "dumps". I think you need to do your homework.

Classic, nothing to answer with so you bring up something completely irrelevant to the Leafs and the argument

theres a reason Brian Burke is a GM and you're not

You obvioulsy missed the concessions that Burke made admitting that Boston won the Kessel trade.

And what you call irrelevant is ironic considering you made the claim that Peverley was a "dump". That's hockey ignorance at it's richest.

Anyhow, your point in bringing up the Kessel deal as if teaches us to wait and see before judging a trade is a fail - your judging that deal a Leafs win is ironic - there is hardly evidence to suggest that when one of the principal parts in that deal is 21 (already with three successful seasons in the NHL), another, whoever he might be, is 20 (with an NHL season already under his belt). These aren't players cracking the Flames lineup - one was a rookie on a Stanley Cup champion, the other a rookie on a team that lost in the SC Final.

big Moulson fan but this a great point

we have no idea what goes on in negotiations, Moulson could very well hate NY and Vanek is an amazing player

I recall not too long ago the majority of people saying Kessel for two 1sts (Seguin and some other guy) was a bad trade by the leafs...let time pass before passing judgement, these GMs know more than we do

Seguin and Hamilton, who turned into Loui Eriksson and Dougie Hamilton.

still a bad trade they just made the playoffs in Kessel's 4 years of being in Toronto and that was in a shortened season still time for them to collapse like they always do in a full 82 game season this year

now imagine if Burke was actually patient for once and kept those picks and built through the draft i still take Seguin and Hamilton over Kessel everyday of the week especially for a team that was nowhere close to making the playoffs Burke misjudged his team

I'd still take Phil Kessel. Kessel is a game breaker. He's an elite goal scorer. You're not going to find those type of players in your backyard. Let's say they had saved those picks and picked Seguin and Hamilton. It wouldn't even benefit Toronto at all because they're already loaded in those two positions. They already had Kadri and they have Gardiner so essentially those would be wasted picks whereas you can land a goal scorer now and worry/wait for your prospects to develop into the same type of players you could've drafted later. IMO, Toronto won this trade.

I'd still take Phil Kessel. Kessel is a game breaker. He's an elite goal scorer. You're not going to find those type of players in your backyard. Let's say they had saved those picks and picked Seguin and Hamilton. It wouldn't even benefit Toronto at all because they're already loaded in those two positions. They already had Kadri and they have Gardiner so essentially those would be wasted picks whereas you can land a goal scorer now and worry/wait for your prospects to develop into the same type of players you could've drafted later. IMO, Toronto won this trade.

exactly

wow ... As Im reading this , its obvious we lost our way in this conversation ..... haha ... better start a new thread ..

lmao, my apologies my friend

Alot of people are assuming Moulson would be moved again later on but will Vanek be moved also? Maybe Islanders are looking to move Vanek and package for a real big fish.. Maybe throw in a Vanek and Strome for Justin Williams, 1st, 2nd and Tanner Pearson?

Edit: LA doesn't have a NTC on any of their players and NYI has only 2 NTCs for their players..

Glad Buffalo is out east. Buffalo gm is a trading god. The Hodgson trade, and now this?

The price is steep, but NYI gets much better, instantly. They are making a splash to become a playoff team. They are hoping to make the jump now, which is a move that Chicago made and Pittsburgh made. One that Edmonton never made.

Good trade for both teams, but Buffalo wings it. NY could have gotten a lower-end

prospect alongside Vanek.

The most frightening thing is that Buffalo is going to have a legit shot at McDavid.

Ehrhoff is even more likely on the block

• 1 month later...

Seguin is quickly becoming better than Kessel by himself let alone Hamilton too.

Seguin is 4 years younger as well. I think the Bruins system was actually suppressing the guy. Probably the same with Kessel.

If Buffalo plays their cards right, they can position themselves for a deep playoff run by running a lineup with ELC's and free agents in about 4 years. They are lucky to have an owner with deep pockets.

Please explain..... cause as far as I know, all non playoff teams are lottery picks now.

I think the condition is that if NYI doesn't make the playoffs, NYI can push the pick till next year, which will deny Buffalo a better pick.

Archived