The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian not what we think he is?

Merely

I still don't get where this power forward thing is coming from?

It was first put put there by Gillis but he is long gone.

He is a playmaker if anything, and a lazy one at that.

But let's let this power Forward, Front of the net guy fantasy go, he's never played like that. It's not what he does.

He's actually a skilled floater, haven't seen his kind for a while, floaters don't really make it anymore.

I'm not really sure where he goes from here because in my opinion he doesn't really care that much.

But if he ever decides he wants it, look out!

Would BUFF take him back for Grigorenko?

Prior to this year I would have offered him to the Habs for Galchenyuk, but that ship has sailed.

He has the talent but, I just don't get the feeling he cares.

But Grigorenko makes sense, disappointment for disappointment (On BUFF's part I consider it more mismanagement)

We get the potential top 6 center we need.

Depends how much BUFF thinks of Kass and if they consider getting him and Cody to be a decisive win.

Also depends on how much the relationship with Grigor has been damaged (Sound familiar?)

Bertuzzi proved he's legit. Kassian has yet to prove anything. Nice logic there.

Yeah, the Betruzzi comparisons no longer fly,

They are completely different players,

Kassian shows no signs of becoming a power forward, so Bert is no longer the template,

I though after what we saw at end of last year Kass would have worked his a$$ off all summer and focused on this being the year he established himself as a top six passer.

But...when you don't really care you can only be so good, this would have been the year for kass to start caring.

I don't get the feeling he does, and would be very interested in what other teams think he's worth.

Would BUFF take him back for Grigorenko?

Prior to this year I would have offered him to the Habs for Galchenyuk, but that ship has sailed.

He has the talent but, I just don't get the feeling he cares.

But Grigorenko makes sense, disappointment for disappointment (On BUFF's part I consider it more mismanagement)

We get the potential top 6 center we need.

Depends how much BUFF thinks of Kass and if they consider getting him and Cody to be a decisive win.

Also depends on how much the relationship with Grigor has been damaged (Sound familiar?)

All of us in Buffalo wonder the same thing, "How peeved off is Grigorenko at the Sabres because of the previous regime of Regier/Ruff playing him in the NHL when he wasn't ready." He is an RFA after this season is over and some team is bound to bid aggressively for his services.

I am cracking up laughing at all these comments. Kassian is doing exactly what is expected of him with the exception of keeping his head in the game shift after shift.

His skill is obvious . He is 23 years old and there is no way we are trading the guy.

Seems to me that the remnents of the Hodgson fans are still holding a vigil to prove the trade was unfair for us.

Cody is a year older, has nowhere hear the same all around skill set , and in the one area he does have the advantage -offense- he is sucking wind badly in spite of juicy first unit power play time.

Get over it. Hodgson is a burden for 4.5 million a year. We have a great gem in the rough with Kassian and there is no way we are giving up on him before he is 25 unless some team offers a riidulous overpayment.

I am cracking up laughing at all these comments. Kassian is doing exactly what is expected of him with the exception of keeping his head in the game shift after shift.

His skill is obvious . He is 23 years old and there is no way we are trading the guy.

Seems to me that the remnents of the Hodgson fans are still holding a vigil to prove the trade was unfair for us.

Cody is a year older, has nowhere hear the same all around skill set , and in the one area he does have the advantage -offense- he is sucking wind badly in spite of juicy first unit power play time.

Get over it. Hodgson is a burden for 4.5 million a year. We have a great gem in the rough with Kassian and there is no way we are giving up on him before he is 25 unless some team offers a riidulous overpayment.

Exactly

For some reason people forget that Kassian only has a 1.75 cap hit and hold him to the same standards of the twins.

Who's even talking about Cody anymore? Isn't this about zack? Cody is long gone get over it and move on.

Zack has a great skill set he just needs a brain transplant and we are all set. Flip side of that is keeping his roll limited and achievable till he's ready for more, it's more of a challenge for him mentally then most thought.

Exactly

For some reason people forget that Kassian only has a 1.75 cap hit and hold him to the same standards of the twins.

The reason there is so many topics and posts about zack is there are a number of us that think he's in the right roll now and he has lots to learn now in a lower roll and a lot that think he should be playing with the twins on the first line.

If everyone agreed that he's a project and it will take time and as you said is getting paid what he should there would be no debate. It's the kass hommers that fuel the fire by crying that he's just been wronged by the coaches and actually the best player on the team.

What the hell? You think we're a contender?

What I was implying is that JB is attempting to make us a contender. He and TL have said they intend to build and go forward not blow the team up. He wants to bring the youngsters into a contending successful team and if that is the case JB will not put up with anyone who he thinks will not enable that success.

Kassian at present is just becoming a spare part.

That is what I meant.

Dream on.

Take the blinkers off and watch what most of the rest of us are watching.

The only point I agree on is he is only 23 (24 in Jan) but if he was better at 23 than he was at 21 I might think ok but he just doesn't take anything in.

He is instinctual and that has got him this far but unless he is capable of learning and taking on coaching he will never fulfil even half of his potential.

He will not be here next season at this time if he doesn't improve consistency and concentration. JB is pro active and he will not put up with players taking the piss.

Dream on.

Take the blinkers off and watch what most of the rest of us are watching.

The only point I agree on is he is only 23 (24 in Jan) but if he was better at 23 than he was at 21 I might think ok but he just doesn't take anything in.

He is instinctual and that has got him this far but unless he is capable of learning and taking on coaching he will never fulfil even half of his potential.

He will not be here next season at this time if he doesn't improve consistency and concentration. JB is pro active and he will not put up with players taking the piss.

I have to agree with you, if he doesn't start to "get it" this year it may be time to move on. He doesn't have to become a great player this year or even score many goals, he just needs to show he's capable of following the system and working with the team in the roll that's in front of him. Not a lot to ask is it? I kinda think he he will be able to achieve it but if can't good riddance.

I'm also tired of hearing how power forwards take longer, as others have pointed out he's not a natural power forward it's not the game he plays or looks intrested in playing. Could we train him to be? Kinda don't think so but one step at a time.

If Kassian continues to play like he is doing he will be traded. His patchy play (brilliant and bad in the same game) week in, week out, is no good to a contender and JB will analyse his play and cut his losses.

I like Kass but he just seems to make the same mistakes over and over. Even the penalties he takes are dumb, he's like a big kid who doesn't get it.

If all he is going to be for us is a 3rd liner and he continues to play as he is doing he will be too costly for JB and too uncoachable for Willie to put up with.

I don't know if it is between the ears or fitness but he just disappears most of the time. That is not the player we thought we had and it's not the player Gillis promised either.

The secret of a good 3rd OR a 4th liner is that they make the most of the time they are on the ice, it is not a line you put a player on because he makes mistakes and disappears half the time, at least not on a contending team. If you think differently you don't understand the game.

Have they ever given Kassian a center and winger with hands for an extended period?

Perhaps they need to try that?

hmm

I love how everyone is beating him up again 7 games in when he has 2 goals from the 3rd line and no pp time...and averaging 10 mins a night

How many goals does Burr have?

What about Daniel?

What about Higgins?

how much ice do they get?

how much pp time?

ah...maybe CDC as usual expects him to score like Stamkos and when he doesn't he a bust...

use your brains...oh....sorry this is CDC

I find Kass looks very awkward out there. Half the time he looks like hes in lala land. Always a step(s) to slow. Its very disappointing because Im always defending him but its tough when majority of the time hes not contributing much.

Pretty simply reason....he's 'thinking too much' on the ice, trying to do everything that's been over coached into him vs playing the game.

he's so worried about not making an error, his real talent seldom comes out...you can't develop a player or any professional for that matter in an environment where they are fearful of errors...young players, young professionals in any profession make errors its part of development.....but for some reason when this kid makes an error his minutes get cut, he's dropped 2 lines...but Jensen, remember last year? Torts saying ah we just have to live with his errors? a bit of a double standard no?

guy is now like an abused child...they are overcoaching him trying to turn him into robo player because he has so many tools vs letting him play his game.

Have they ever given Kassian a center and winger with hands for an extended period?

Perhaps they need to try that?

hmm

I love how everyone is beating him up again 7 games in when he has 2 goals from the 3rd line and no pp time...and averaging 10 mins a night

How many goals does Burr have?

What about Daniel?

What about Higgins?

how much ice do they get?

how much pp time?

ah...maybe CDC as usual expects him to score like Stamkos and when he doesn't he a bust...

use your brains...oh....sorry this is CDC

The problem with Kassian is that his play dips from time to time. He hasn't been that consistent. Its his inconsistency that is troubling, not his skill.

Also, don't use Burrows or Daniels as an example. They are proven players. Higgins is a proven player as well.

We get it, you like Kassian but don't get dragged into these bickering. Right now, you're acting like its personal. I don't know for sure, but judging by your response. Avoid those people and run, run and run.

I find Kass looks very awkward out there. Half the time he looks like hes in lala land. Always a step(s) to slow. Its very disappointing because Im always defending him but its tough when majority of the time hes not contributing much.

I wonder if they should teach him simple things. Drive to the net. Maybe it suits him better.

Archived