The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian not what we think he is?

Merely

He needs time to get consistent and he's shown he works great with the line he was with at the end of last year and last night. Let them play together and build on it. There's something about that line that gets kass skating harder stick with it.

Why are you in such a hurry to get him in a top six spot? He's clearly shown he's not ready mentally for the roll, but yes he has the skill.

he's not ready mentally? his advanced stats, his regular stats say otherwise. Did you read what I wrote? show me in his regular and advanced stats where it shows he's a defensive liability?

show me how he's not more effective offensively than higgins/burrows at this stage of their careers?

its really easy for fans and the media to make the proclomations about him not being good defensively, about not being ready but when you look at his stats they say otherwise....

so you tell me...go look at his advanced stats, his shooting %, his plus minus and then come back to me ok?

he's not ready mentally? his advanced stats, his regular stats say otherwise. Did you read what I wrote? show me in his regular and advanced stats where it shows he's a defensive liability?

show me how he's not more effective offensively than higgins/burrows at this stage of their careers?

its really easy for fans and the media to make the proclomations about him not being good defensively, about not being ready but when you look at his stats they say otherwise....

so you tell me...go look at his advanced stats, his shooting %, his plus minus and then come back to me ok?

Zack was brought into the NHL sooner then he should have and could have bennifited from another year in the AHL greatly. This was because MG needed him to be a roster player or face the rath of the trade.

He still is inconsistent and has areas of his game that need work and in my opinion he's not ready for the second line. You can take your advanced stats and shove it some place because almost everyone who watches him play including the coaches have pointed out that he needs to improve his effort.

It's almost like you don't want him to succeed, he's in a prefect position playing with line mates that he works well with (if they keep them together) and can go out earn his icetime and play his game. Move him to the second now and there is a great chance he will get dropped back down and take another blow to his confidence.

He needs time in a roll he can succeed in and not take a chance hurting his development any more then we already have.

I'll give Kassian credit where due, the first period he was a no show, but when the score was 5-1 early in the 2nd period he did pick up his game, he played good no argument there. His hard work rewarded him with a tip in goal later in the 2nd period, but I don't know why it took him until it was 5-1 to start playing?

Was he mad at the score? If so he needs to play mad more often, to play like this consistently. Did he feel the team was down and no one was really in it anymore, and he felt this was his time to shine and show himself, when the team was down? Or did he just want to try his hardest to bring the team back into the game? If so then why doesn't he play his hardest all the time? Lots of questions to why his game instantly changed early in the 2nd period, but it's flashes like this that make people have so much high hope for him, but he just doesn't bring it game after game, let's hope he does.

Do I agree the 2nd line needs a mix up 100%, do I believe Kassian should be there? No and yes, the reason no is simple he's not consistent game after game, and he needs to be playing the full 60 mins not 40 mins then he will be rewarded. The reason Yes because the way he played in the last 2 periods of last game, that's how you play to be on the 2nd line, but my point is being consistent. If he plays like he did in the last 2 periods last game then in our next game, I think he could be on the 2nd line depending on the score, but if he once again decides not to play his game hard, I don't see it happening.

I'll give Kassian credit where due, the first period he was a no show, but when the score was 5-1 early in the 2nd period he did pick up his game, he played good no argument there. His hard work rewarded him with a tip in goal later in the 2nd period, but I don't know why it took him until it was 5-1 to start playing?

Was he mad at the score? If so he needs to play mad more often, to play like this consistently. Did he feel the team was down and no one was really in it anymore, and he felt this was his time to shine and show himself, when the team was down? Or did he just want to try his hardest to bring the team back into the game? If so then why doesn't he play his hardest all the time? Lots of questions to why his game instantly changed early in the 2nd period, but it's flashes like this that make people have so much high hope for him, but he just doesn't bring it game after game, let's hope he does.

Do I agree the 2nd line needs a mix up 100%, do I believe Kassian should be there? No and yes, the reason no is simple he's not consistent game after game, and he needs to be playing the full 60 mins not 40 mins then he will be rewarded. The reason Yes because the way he played in the last 2 periods of last game, that's how you play to be on the 2nd line, but my point is being consistent. If he plays like he did in the last 2 periods last game then in our next game, I think he could be on the 2nd line depending on the score, but if he once again decides not to play his game hard, I don't see it happening.

The reason Kassian was a no show in the first period is because it was dominated by special teams and Kassian is yet to get a sniff on our PP unit. He received a total of 3 shifts in the 1st period, a 45 sec one at the start, a 1:14 one in the middle, and a 33 second one at the 18 min mark.

You say you noticed him more in the second and third. Well thats because he received 5 total shifts in the second and 5 more in the 3rd. He just got more ice time. hence why you noticed him more. The kid needs to play more than 10 minutes a game, simple as that. How is a player supposed to be mentally involved if he plays less then 3 minutes in the 1st period. He's putting up the same even strength numbers that the twins were doing when they receive the same ice time.

Give the kid some PP time. Kassian last season averaged less than 13 minutes per game and got next to nothing on PP time. If were expecting more out of him we are going to have to give him more opportunity. As mentinoned he’s averaged the same even strength output as the twins in their first 4 years in the league. Add what could be added if we started giving him a fulltime role on the 2nd unit PP.

This wouldn’t be that big of a discussion “if” our second line was producing. It hasn’t and at times it’s looked awful. By not changing it up we can only expect the same results, it’s time to change it. If we move Kassian on to the second line and he isn’t producing we are no worse for wear, but if it does click, then we got a lot to gain.

Why move Kassian to the second line and not Richardson, because it doesn’t take a hockey genius to understand that Kassian is ahead of all our bottom 6 players when it comes to offensive potential. Richardson and Hansen work hard but it’s easy to see that don’t have the hockey IQ or the hands offensively to control the play. They are crashers and bangers that get rewarded by garbage goals and that works for them. But in the top 6 week need players who can slow down or speed up the play with their puck position. Something Kassian has the skillset to do.

That is due to the fact that he was given very little ice time in the first period.

I'm very surprised that there are Kassian detractors. Very low cap hit, unteachable intangibles playing limited minutes.. I'd look for his ice time to go up in STL by at least 4min. It's the type of game that he should be making an impact in for sure.

Overall in STL look for balanced minutes and a defensive game. I'll be shocked if Kass isn't one of our best tomorrow.

KassianBeastMode you nailed it, I've been trying to say the same things.

Look at last night I mean it makes 0 sense to me.

Second line was what? All a -3? I know +/- shouldn't be the end all be all and can be a misleading stat, but on the other hand Kassian had a goal and was an even rating...but played 4th line minutes....explan pls.

100% agree, Kass should be on a line with Bonino and who's the other guy that goes on the 2nd, I'd like to see horvat play wing on that line..

I'm okay with Kassian being with Richardson.

Richardson is an experienced center who can help with Kassian's development, mainly on the defensive side of his game. Hopefully Kassian can also pick up some good habits from Richardson which will improve his game. Offensive production will come.

I expect that Kassian will get more time in the top-6 as the season progresses.

regards,

G.

Is it just me, or does anyone else like the Matthias-Richardson-Kassian line? They play an interchangeable style (though Kass' skill is clearly a step above)

I think which line is not the problem, so much as the distribution of ice time/identity of each line. Bottom 9 TOI distribution should be even. I like Burrows but I don't consider him a second liner. Our bottom 9 are essentially 3rdline quality....

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Hansen <2way, shutdown line

Matthias Richardson Kassian <physical, hard nosed line

Burrows Vey Bonino <skill line, protected starts. could do damage against weaker matchups.

Is it just me, or does anyone else like the Matthias-Richardson-Kassian line? They play an interchangeable style (though Kass' skill is clearly a step above)

I think which line is not the problem, so much as the distribution of ice time/identity of each line. Bottom 9 TOI distribution should be even. I like Burrows but I don't consider him a second liner. Our bottom 9 are essentially 3rdline quality....

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Vey Bonino <skill line, protected starts. could do damage against weaker matchups.

All sorts of no.. Why would you drop Bonino down, he's a legitimate 2nd line centre

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Hansen on the second line is a joke. Matthias-Richardson-Kass has worked so I don't mind, but I think if we roll out Matthias-HORVAT-Kass that would be more effective.

Hansen should be on the 4th line and penalty killing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sedins/Vrbata - Scorers

Matthias/Horvat/Kassian - lots of scoring potential on this line

Vey/Bonino/Higgins - a 3rd line that can score

Burrows/Richardson/Hasnsen or Dorsett - pesty line, sound defensively

I feel we're wasting Matthias by not putting him in spots to score. He has proven he can put the puck in the net and we were mostly impressed with him last year. Our second line can't get any worse, so I say give him a chance. Also, with Horvat being a centre our faceoffs SHOULD improve. Bonino being the only true weak spot.

100% agree, Kass should be on a line with Bonino and who's the other guy that goes on the 2nd, I'd like to see horvat play wing on that line..

I wouldn't mind seeing Horvat there but he would probably play centre, rather have a young player play in his most comfortable position, and he's a better centre than Bonino.

Archived