The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If garrison was a right handed shot would our PP still be this bad?

billabong

Is it as simple as Sedins need that right handed bomb from the point to tee up or is it something else? Confidence? Chemistry? Stale startegys?

If I'm torts, last night was the last straw. I would start mixing things up

Sedin-Sedin-kesler

Weber-garrison

Higgins-santo-burrows

Edler-bieksa

Give weber a chance, they have nothing to lose right now

I just don't get the point of Hammer on the point, he's not exactly known for his booming shot, rather have Tanev out there than Hammer.

But our PP is just... weird. At times we look dominant, at other times just abysmal (on both of our units) but for some reason cannot finish. I say if we want Finnish we bring Salo back :bigblush:

If we were going to add a right hand shot on left point, I'd rather use Kesler than Weber with Burrows screening in front. With a healthy line up, Weber is in the press box, imo.

But the PP has been dominant recently as far as possession goes and may just need a little tweaking with the set up. I would not adjust the personnel just yet.

Our powerplay sucks BECAUSE we make the point the focus. Garrison's shot may be a bomb, but he doesn't know how to pick spots like Salo or Ehrhoff. The Sedin's need to start focusing on setting up down low. If they feel there's even a little traffic in front they resort to a point shot. I'd rather have a scrum in the crease with Kesler and the Sedin's than rely on a point shot finding its way through a maze of bodies.

I just don't get the point of Hammer on the point, he's not exactly known for his booming shot, rather have Tanev out there than Hammer.

But our PP is just... weird. At times we look dominant, at other times just abysmal (on both of our units) but for some reason cannot finish. I say if we want Finnish we bring Salo back :bigblush:

Tanev has a light shot though, not an upgrade.

I wouldn't think Garrison being right handed would change too much. He has been able to get his shots through for the most part, the unit out there just hasn't cashed in much with rebounds or clear shots going in.

I would try this out

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Kesler-Garrison

Kesler used to score a ton of goals with his one timer and Kassian is a bigger body who can stand in front. Most of his goals have come from there anyways.

The point-men can also set eachother up for one timers a lot easier with a right and left handed shot.

Then the 2nd unit I would go

Higgins-Santorelli-Burrows

Weber-Edler

I don't get why we're not using Weber on the power play since that's where he's most effective.

IMO the reason our PP has been bad is our defencemen. Garrison just doesn't work. Our PP was a success in 011 because we had Erhoff and Salo, who not only had great shots but accurate ones to. Garrison just shoots the puck without any idea where its' going.

I don't think our powerplay is as bad as the stats would indicate. As has been said the unit looks absolutely domintate at some times but we just haven' had bounces go our way. As long as we continue to win i wouldn't do anything radically different to change up one aspect of the game.

Is it as simple as Sedins need that right handed bomb from the point to tee up or is it something else? Confidence? Chemistry? Stale startegys?

If I'm torts, last night was the last straw. I would start mixing things up

Sedin-Sedin-kesler

Weber-garrison

Higgins-santo-burrows

Edler-bieksa

Give weber a chance, they have nothing to lose right now

Apart from games you mean? We're winning those right now if you haven't noticed.

From a statistical standpoint, why not put Stanton out there.

Couldn't hurt.

Which statistical standpoint is that? And he's not a right handed shot so what does it have to do with the OP's argument?

5 on 4

Sedin Burrows Sedin

Hamhuis Kesler

5 on 3

Sedin Kassian Sedin

Garrison Kesler

Edler just gets blocked all the time because he doesn't move laterally well. Not to mention his turnovers. Hamhuis is a better rover and opens up the ice. Kesler is good at the net but his shot combined with mobility makes the one timer a threat.

Its real simple....we had the top pp in the league...what changed??? Ehrhoff..mobile rover with a canon and Salo the finnish MacInnis gone.

Archived