The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian - Reputation of being dangerous/dirty player?

hockeyville88

I hate to agree with you , but I reluctantly do .. the canucks better hope he matures , if he doesn't ,we are in for a lot of frustration with this guy ..

If you can't conform and reforrm you just don't weather the storm and that is the juncture Zack is getting too close to for his own good. I hope all the best for him but he is the one that needs to, as I said "reform".

These big power forward types alway take extra time to mature. How many big strong power forwards are there that have issues with consistency? Its a common thing. I'd say it has something to do with them having a noticeable physical advantage in juniors, and so they get by without giving it 100% all the time. It creates bad habits.

Like players hungry for that new contract next year. Beast mode takes over. They sign the nice contract and somehow ......... it's like the world changes over night.

Even the immortal Cam Neely laid tons of dirty hits. He boarded guys, slammed 'em in the numbers, toppled them head-first in the the boards, etc. all the time.

This kinda play has no place in the game?

Wrong.

I don't get it. I thought the complaint about Kassian was that he wasn't hitting enough. Now that he's laying guys out, we're still complaining?

Certainly don't remember Torres getting this much flack here.

Bring on the goals. Bring on the hits. Try and stay out of the box and out of Shanny's crosshairs. Pretty simple.

Even the immortal Cam Neely laid tons of dirty hits. He boarded guys, slammed 'em in the numbers, toppled them head-first in the the boards, etc. all the time.

Wrong.

I don't get it. I thought the complaint about Kassian was that he wasn't hitting enough. Now that he's laying guys out, we're still complaining?

Bring on the goals. Bring on the hits. Try and stay out of the box and out of Shanny's crosshairs. Pretty simple.

Different era (for Neely anyway).

I feel like what we had in Torres is what we are trying to form Kassian into, just that Kass has a potential higher ceiling. I don't need, or even want Kassian to be the next Lucic, but if he could bring the tenacity of Torres, with a better set of hands and a little more of scoring touch, I like what we have in him. Also, like a few guys have said above, it's not that he's necessarily a dirty player, just that he sometimes plays with reckless abandon since he's expected to be that player who walks the fine line without crossing it, obviously he's still gotta figure out where that line is. Once he matures I'm sure he'll be at least 85% of what we are hoping out of him, if not 100%

Hitting transcends eras though.

Hockey hits do, yes. Some of the brutal stuff doesn't though (bench clearning brawls, climbing into the stands and fighting with fans, two-handed slashes etc. were all treated pretty lightly not that long ago).

Wrong.

I am surprised a veteran like you would even try to condone dirty hits. I believe you are better than that and I know you know there is a difference between rough hockey and running a guy through the boards into the parking lot. I look back at boychuck's hit on Mason Raymond. Notice I spelled his name in lower case, that is how small he is for even attempting that dirty filthy foul on Raymond. How would Vancouver have felt if it had ended his career. There is nothing wrong with a clean solid check but when players start sniping other players from the rear or blind side, they should be severely punished.

Sad to say but he'd learn a lot from watching dustin byfuglian's playoff games against us. He injured a few of our guys on clean but huge hits. Kassian is slightly a dirty player I won't lie but after watching what the bruines (im actually a fan 2nd to the nucks) and other teams get away with that type of thing in the playoffs, and so they should, it's the playoffs, i'm glad we have kassian. Post season hockey is hard nosed rock em sock em hockey and we need a player who isn't afraid to push the boundaries when our stars are targeted.

"A disturbing play by a disturbing player," Maybe Eakins was on to something!

...but probably not. Kassian is being pushed to be more physical, etc to reach his full potential. He throws his body around, but he also backs it up with his fists - which gets him instant respect around the league compared to guys who fly around and go hide. We don't need a big soft floater who scores 15-20 goals a la Taylor Pyatt.. Canucks need to keep pushing Zack in this direction in my opinion.

I consider the Gagner and Bolland plays to be flukes... but I guess if something happens again it might haunt him, intentional or no.

yup. nothin to add to this, really.

Zack Kassian's history of discipline throughout his career:

• 2009- Kingston Frontenacs - Suspended one game for breaking curfew
  • March 30, 2010 - Arrested after a bar fight. Assault charges were dropped. Sentenced to community service

Hardly considered "Dangerous / Dirty"

I also don't know how you can consider the Bolland injury anything but an accident.

I feel like Zack Kassian is now a marked man. Remember when Erik Karlsson had his Achilles sliced by Matt Cooke? Had it been any other player, no one would have questioned the intent behind the play. It would have been called an "unfortunate accident" and everyone would have moved on. But simply because it was Matt Cooke who was responsible, we all couldn't help but ask ourselves: "did he do it on purpose?"

Well, in a similar play to that one, Dave Bolland suffered a similar injury on a hit by Zack Kassian. He'll be out for months.

I think you need to watch the video again.

It was very clearly skate to skate contact - these incidents are nowhere near as similar as you or a few other commentators have suggested.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-dave-bolland-leaves-game-against-vancouver-canucks/

Don't care much for the perspective expressed in the OP tbh.

Archived