The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian - Reputation of being dangerous/dirty player?

hockeyville88

There was only one opinion Saturday night, and that was that Kassian is awesome.

Fast forward to a game that he is less than spectacular and it's back to b!thcing about him.

I've never seen a young player go from being loved to being criticized so much on a night to night basis.

where have you been for the last 10 years in vancouver? In a city where people would almost chase a goalie like Luongo out of town, what can really surprise you?

Kassian is reckless. His stick swinging incident wasnt the first time he had gone into the boards like that. It was the first time he hit someone. It wasnt intentional but at some point the coaching staff needs to spend time in the video room teaching him how to make hits.

He shouldn't have hit Vermette last night or if he was going to he needed to come in from the side. Some stick work would have been more effective.

I have to say I think people are correct in questioning whats between his ears. While I think he is listening to coaches I don't think its sinking in. Some people can learn and adjust their games like Cooke and some guys keep making the same mistakes like Kaleta.

Matt Cooke had an NHL history though and I don't know that it would be fair for the NHL to lump in pre-NHL incidents to Zack's "history" with them. Young guys will make mistakes but, hopefully they/he learn and outgrow them.

I'm also thinking it's more reckless play we've seen here at times ... his errant stick did not seem intentional to me, just unfortunate. Bolland as well - there's no way he did that on purpose, just crazy bad luck. (I didn't believe Cooke's was intentional either).

He's also got that wild man look that, unfairly, probably doesn't help his case.

I'd say he's doing a fine job getting himself that bad reputation.

Some very careless plays by him lately.

With that being said, I think the hit on Bolland was clean, and not criticizing him for that. The one in Phoenix instantly got me thinking; "whoa, why did he hit him so hard there?"

But he's hopefully going to get there, and get his complete game going.

I think he is getting into dangerous territory. The hit on Bolland was just an accident and Bolland's fault as much as Kassian's for trying to squirt out of the hit at a weird angle.

However, he's getting a lengthy record of stupid indidents piling up and the hit on Vrbata was dumb. No reason and the total definition of boarding.

I'm 99% sure Kassian will be nothing more than a 3rd/4th line grinder. Grill me to hell for 'jumping the gun' but this kid's only potential is that he can 'potential'ly get suspended whenever he plays at his best. Even with more hockey sense, Kassian will never put up more than 15 goals or so a year. Nothing close to some people's expectations of a 'premier power forward'.

But that's okay, every team needs sandpaper. Just don't set unreachable expectations on this kind of player.

Completly misses the topic and total garbage post as well.

Nicely done.

It won't be long before this turns into a COHO VS Kassian, Gillis thread. In my opinion he plays on the edge doesn't take any crap is tough.... you know like the players on the teams that always beat us in the playoffs? There is no way he purposely took out Bolland in that fashion. We got a Young tough guy that can play and seems to be developing quite nicely. So far I like it

I was thinking about the whole "Kassian isn't a PWF" argument the other day. I can't think of one good power forward playing today who doesn't throw borderline hits. I think the borderline hits come with playing that style of game.

Apparently Chris Neil is the best at walking that line for years without suspension and playing with constant edge to his game.

I saw more than a few. Maybe they didn't say it directly, but lets just say there were alot of pleased people.

Kassian is a bit reckless but to say he's a dirty player is just wrong. People have this idea that he's out there to hurt people now and he's not. Now he's going to start getting grouped with the Kaleta's and Torres' of the league, and it's not fair to him.

His play against Gagner was just a fluke. Yes he has to have more control of his stick, but if his stick goes a few inches either way he hits the glass and we're not even talking about this. It was an accident.

His play against Bolland again was just another fluke. Did Canucks fans whine and complain both times it happened to Bieksa that it was an intent to injure? No. It was only until Ottawa's GM started on his rant about Cooke that anyone had the thought that something like that could be intentional.

Now because of two fluke plays, Kassian doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and is labelled a dirty player. If that was anyone else making the hit tonight, you would just say well that guy turned before the hit and left himself vulnerable. But becuase it's Kassian somehow it's a dirty play and should be reviewed.

I saw more than a few. Maybe they didn't say it directly, but lets just say there were alot of pleased people.

Kassian is a bit reckless but to say he's a dirty player is just wrong. People have this idea that he's out there to hurt people now and he's not. Now he's going to start getting grouped with the Kaleta's and Torres' of the league, and it's not fair to him.

His play against Gagner was just a fluke. Yes he has to have more control of his stick, but if his stick goes a few inches either way he hits the glass and we're not even talking about this. It was an accident.

His play against Bolland again was just another fluke. Did Canucks fans whine and complain both times it happened to Bieksa that it was an intent to injure? No. It was only until Ottawa's GM started on his rant about Cooke that anyone had the thought that something like that could be intentional.

Now because of two fluke plays, Kassian doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and is labelled a dirty player. If that was anyone else making the hit tonight, you would just say well that guy turned before the hit and left himself vulnerable. But becuase it's Kassian somehow it's a dirty play and should be reviewed.

what peeves me the most is the people crying about his "recklessness and dirty play" are the same people crowing about him not playing physical. You can't want a player to play on the edge and then bellyache when he sometimes crosses the line. Obviously taking penalties isn't a good thing and suspensions are even worse, but with a player like kass, that's something you just have to swallow.

Personally, I'll take a few instances of crossing the line from Kass because he's an effective, skilled player and the added element of playing on the edge means that players are cautious when he's out there and will adjust their game accordingly. His "recklessness" actually gives he and his linemates a little more room to play a skilled game when they are out there. I'm really liking his game right now and I think if JT handles him (and his crossing the line) in the right way, he'll become the player I want him to be.

I've said it from day 1.

Zack has all the tools, but missing the most important one. The one between his ears.

I don't think it's a lack of hockey sense, but rather just carelessness and stupidity on his part.

I believe my signature expresses the point of your post. There is really no cure for stupid. You hit the nail on the head.

what peeves me the most is the people crying about his "recklessness and dirty play" are the same people crowing about him not playing physical. You can't want a player to play on the edge and then bellyache when he sometimes crosses the line. Obviously taking penalties isn't a good thing and suspensions are even worse, but with a player like kass, that's something you just have to swallow.

Personally, I'll take a few instances of crossing the line from Kass because he's an effective, skilled player and the added element of playing on the edge means that players are cautious when he's out there and will adjust their game accordingly. His "recklessness" actually gives he and his linemates a little more room to play a skilled game when they are out there. I'm really liking his game right now and I think if JT handles him (and his crossing the line) in the right way, he'll become the player I want him to be.

The balance between physical and reckless is just something he needs to learn as he matures. Hopefully he doesn't make too many boneheaded mistakes and get himself a label. IMO he's a ways away from that just yet - the stick was reckless and the Bolland thing was just a freak accident. I agree with a previous post in that you can't really bring forward stuff from juniors (where I think most players do some stupid stuff as kids at least at some point).

Yes he is a dirty player.

How many cup champs can u name that didn't have a dirty player? Not many. You need dirty players and kassian is a beauty.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "dirty". Intimidating? Physical? Or someone who intentionally tries to hurt players? I think of dirty as the latter and there are fewer and fewer of those type of players all the time.

Archived