The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian - Reputation of being dangerous/dirty player?

hockeyville88

The guy should have it figured out by now...he's 22 years-old for god's sake!

He's had lots of opportunities. I mean, he's played 102 NHL games already. That's more than a whole season!

You'd think he'd be at least on pace for 20 goals by now...

I would say yes, he is going to be that type of player, targetted - but isn't that exactly what we wanted?

somebody that can dance the wall of suspension - and play in the top 6 to protect/not bring down the players on his line?

Say what you will, but people sure as hell arent pushing around Daniel and Henrik anymore.

Yeah, we'll look back on this period in about 15 years time when Kassian retires as a Canuck, and we'll all have a big laugh at how uncertain we were about his future. And then we'll all have cake.

Does Kassian have a rep as a dangerous/dirty player? I would say the answer is, no. I think there's a lot to distinguish him from (for example) Matt Cooke, who was involved in a similar injury to Karlsson just last season. Does Kassian have a rep as a careless player? Perhaps.

The stick injury to Gagne was careless, and Kassian earned his suspension. The play was (IMO) a typical kind of interaction behind the play, where we see a couple of players give each other a small shot, or do something in an attempt to intimidate the other guy, and perhaps put him off of his game as the play goes back up the ice. These hits, more often than not, don't do any significant damage and the refs rarely seem to call them. They're almost a routine part of the game.

Kassian wasn't the first player to ever be so careless, and he won't be the last. Hopefully his suspension will make him a bit more cautious and alert with his stick.

I see that stick swinging incident in which Phil Kessel was involved as being much more significant. He was deliberately slashing at an opposing player, and while it may be claimed that he might not have been doing so with an "intent to cause serious injury", he was certainly looking to do harm. And while there may have been a low probability of actually causing significant harm, what if Kessel gets "lucky" on one of those swings and causes an injury which puts a player out for a game or two?

regards,

G.

Kassian is no different than most 22 year old boys from small town/city Canada. He's learning the game and learning how to be professional. In his interviews you get the impression that he is a very nice young man. Yeah hockey players get to live the life but imagine being 22 and not being allowed to rip it up a bit and enjoy life. Seguin was basically shipped out because Boston didn't want him acting the age he was.

As for his game - he's not going to be a star but it is obvious that in a few years if he keeps developing he will be a very good player.

IMO He's just extremely reckless and feels like he NEEDS to impose himself in games due to expectations as opposed to playing the game that he feels comfortable playing.

Does he need to hit? Yes

Does he need to look to demolish everyone on a big hit? No, and I think that's the problem. Look at his suspensions thus far (and that hit from behind) he's looking to make a big hit when the opportunity/situation aren't right.

Not dirty, just a bit reckless. But, the result might be the same. Not sure the Vrbata hit is suspendable, but it's close.

I agree, even though he's young he still has to tighten up his game or he is going to develop a reputation for being careless. If he can tighten up his gameplay then he should be fine, if not then Shana-ban is going to be on his tail and the coaches won't be happy either. Tortorella is a good coach and I would be surprised if he didn't find a way to eliminate these kind of mistakes from Kass' game.

Unbelievable.

Everyone is raving about this guy for injuring Bolland and then scoring a goal one night.

The next night he's a "waste of space", "reckless", and "dumb".

People on this site have the memory of a goldfish.

To be honest he is careless, but read my above post on that subject.

It was definitely boarding. He should have gotten low and rode Vrbata's hip into the boards (Higgins style). It would have gained him the puck to instead of just a hit.

He's young. He doesn't have much of a rep yet but even if he gets one, there's plenty of time to change. Look at Cooke...

I was just happy with his effort level tonight... for the most part at least... he still lazed on his way back to the bench once and missed an opportunity to be in the passing lane. He realized it late and at least made an effort with his stick, but his feet need to be moving. He was skating a lot more throughout the game though.

And there were only a few (classless) people "happy" Bolland sustained a serious injury.

It's sad when people celebrate things like that. I don't care how much I dislike another player or team, any type of injury that has the potential of causing someone long term problems is not something that anybody should be happy about. Accidents and poor plays happen, it's part of the game, but everything should be done to minimize these type of incidents.

And there were only a few (classless) people "happy" Bolland sustained a serious injury.

I saw more than a few. Maybe they didn't say it directly, but lets just say there were alot of pleased people.

Kassian is a bit reckless but to say he's a dirty player is just wrong. People have this idea that he's out there to hurt people now and he's not. Now he's going to start getting grouped with the Kaleta's and Torres' of the league, and it's not fair to him.

His play against Gagner was just a fluke. Yes he has to have more control of his stick, but if his stick goes a few inches either way he hits the glass and we're not even talking about this. It was an accident.

His play against Bolland again was just another fluke. Did Canucks fans whine and complain both times it happened to Bieksa that it was an intent to injure? No. It was only until Ottawa's GM started on his rant about Cooke that anyone had the thought that something like that could be intentional.

Now because of two fluke plays, Kassian doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and is labelled a dirty player. If that was anyone else making the hit tonight, you would just say well that guy turned before the hit and left himself vulnerable. But becuase it's Kassian somehow it's a dirty play and should be reviewed.

Unbelievable.

Everyone is raving about this guy for injuring Bolland and then scoring a goal one night.

The next night he's a "waste of space", "reckless", and "dumb".

People on this site have the memory of a goldfish.

It may come as a shock to you but people have varying opinions for endless reasons.

Try to roll with it.

It may come as a shock to you but people have varying opinions for endless reasons.

Try to roll with it.

There was only one opinion Saturday night, and that was that Kassian is awesome.

Fast forward to a game that he is less than spectacular and it's back to b!thcing about him.

I've never seen a young player go from being loved to being criticized so much on a night to night basis.

I saw more than a few. Maybe they didn't say it directly, but lets just say there were alot of pleased people.

Kassian is a bit reckless but to say he's a dirty player is just wrong. People have this idea that he's out there to hurt people now and he's not. Now he's going to start getting grouped with the Kaleta's and Torres' of the league, and it's not fair to him.

His play against Gagner was just a fluke. Yes he has to have more control of his stick, but if his stick goes a few inches either way he hits the glass and we're not even talking about this. It was an accident.

His play against Bolland again was just another fluke. Did Canucks fans whine and complain both times it happened to Bieksa that it was an intent to injure? No. It was only until Ottawa's GM started on his rant about Cooke that anyone had the thought that something like that could be intentional.

Now because of two fluke plays, Kassian doesn't get the benefit of the doubt and is labelled a dirty player. If that was anyone else making the hit tonight, you would just say well that guy turned before the hit and left himself vulnerable. But becuase it's Kassian somehow it's a dirty play and should be reviewed.

Thanks Mrs.Kassian

Archived