The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sportsnet's Dane Fox: Jets GM has been fielding calls for Evander Kane

Southpop45

^^^WiDeN

A few notes:

1. "Unlikely, as others have said, but I would start with Edler, Kassian, and a 1st. They would likely want a better piece than Kassian which is why I put the 1st in there."

- Edler is the wrong piece in that proposal, not Kassian. Later on, you go on to say that "Tanev has made Edler expendable..." If that's the case, where does Edler fit into the Jets top 4? He doesn't. I'm a huge Vancouver fan, and Edler still has worth, but not like he did 2 seasons ago. He is now a liablility due to his injuries, and has been unable to keep his production up. He will get a good return, but not Kane. The Jets want offense back, not more defense.

2. "Another thought is that Winnipeg might want one of our goaltending prospects."

- Unlikely. Although Pavelec is a question mark at the best of times, he carries an incredibly friendly cap hit and Montoya gives the Jets a chance to win. As far as prospects go, the Jets snapped up Eric Comrie in the second round this past draft. They also have a few other 'tenders in the pipeline, so they aren't too worried about the future in net right now.

3. "There is no way I would put either of Horvat or Shinkaruk in there."

- Then you aren't getting Kane if you don't offer Horvat or Shinkaruk. Expecting to get the Jets youngest star player without giving up significant pieces in return is just foolish. Kane is only 4 years older than Horvat and Shink, but has proven what he can do on a team that is rebuilding. Horvat and Shink have proven nothing in the NHL. It would be more then fair for the Jets to expect Horvat back in a return package.

^^^WiDeN

A few notes:

1. "Unlikely, as others have said, but I would start with Edler, Kassian, and a 1st. They would likely want a better piece than Kassian which is why I put the 1st in there."

- Edler is the wrong piece in that proposal, not Kassian. Later on, you go on to say that "Tanev has made Edler expendable..." If that's the case, where does Edler fit into the Jets top 4? He doesn't. I'm a huge Vancouver fan, and Edler still has worth, but not like he did 2 seasons ago. He is now a liablility due to his injuries, and has been unable to keep his production up. He will get a good return, but not Kane. The Jets want offense back, not more defense.

2. "Another thought is that Winnipeg might want one of our goaltending prospects."

- Unlikely. Although Pavelec is a question mark at the best of times, he carries an incredibly friendly cap hit and Montoya gives the Jets a chance to win. As far as prospects go, the Jets snapped up Eric Comrie in the second round this past draft. They also have a few other 'tenders in the pipeline, so they aren't too worried about the future in net right now.

- Then you aren't getting Kane if you don't offer Horvat or Shinkaruk. Expecting to get the Jets youngest star player without giving up significant pieces in return is just foolish. Kane is only 4 years older than Horvat and Shink, but has proven what he can do on a team that is rebuilding. Horvat and Shink have proven nothing in the NHL. It would be more then fair for the Jets to expect Horvat back in a return package.

I absolutely agree with this, but would you be willing to trade Horvat or Shink as part of the package? It all depends on Kane's mindset, is he a cancer in the locker room or will his attitude change as he matures? That is the big question for me.

I would prob do the trade because it gives us a better chance to win now as apposed to when Horvat and Shink are ready to make a difference for this team.

If the Canucks have inquired about Kane, it definitely puts them in an interesting spot. This is a team that is trying to win the cup now. Future pieces like Horvat are incredibly important, but do not help the "now."

As for the Jets, I really can't see them wanting any other prospect but Horvat. This is a team that is not trying to win now, and has done a good job drafting defensemen, but needs to start getting some prospects at centre. Scheifele is good, but beyond that they have nothing. As for Little, he is working out now, but still fits in better on the wing.

Tough one. To be honest, I just don't think it would be in the Canucks best interest to part with Horvat, and he is the piece the Jets would insist must be apart of a package for their youngest superstar.

I just can't see Kane being moved anytime soon either. There have been no reports that he has requested a trade out of Winnipeg, so there is no rush there. As for Claude Noel, much more likely he would be replaced then trading Kane. He hasn't done much to improve the team on the ice, so his time is likely up at the end of the season anyway.

If the Canucks have inquired about Kane, it definitely puts them in an interesting spot. This is a team that is trying to win the cup now. Future pieces like Horvat are incredibly important, but do not help the "now."

As for the Jets, I really can't see them wanting any other prospect but Horvat. This is a team that is not trying to win now, and has done a good job drafting defensemen, but needs to start getting some prospects at centre. Scheifele is good, but beyond that they have nothing. As for Little, he is working out now, but still fits in better on the wing.

Tough one. To be honest, I just don't think it would be in the Canucks best interest to part with Horvat, and he is the piece the Jets would insist must be apart of a package for their youngest superstar.

I just can't see Kane being moved anytime soon either. There have been no reports that he has requested a trade out of Winnipeg, so there is no rush there. As for Claude Noel, much more likely he would be replaced then trading Kane. He hasn't done much to improve the team on the ice, so his time is likely up at the end of the season anyway.

How does Edler, Hansen, Shinkaruk, and a 1st sound from a Winnipeg view point sound? I wouldn't be too keen on giving up on Shink so early but if he would get us Kane I'd strongly consider it.

How does Edler, Hansen, Shinkaruk, and a 1st sound from a Winnipeg view point sound? I wouldn't be too keen on giving up on Shink so early but if he would get us Kane I'd strongly consider it.

Honestly? I think this is a deal that the Jets would take in a heartbeat. On the Canucks side, though, they are giving up too much. But what do I know, I'm just a fan. I have no idea how to run a hockey franchise. Maybe this is precisely what the Jets would take. They are trading within conference and are giving up what many people call a young Jarome Iginla. An overpayment is what it would take to pry Kane out of Winnipeg to begin with.

I'd do that trade for Kane. Kane is a rare stud. IMO Horvat is going to be a better player than Hunter.

Though, Nash didn't get that much.

Edler > Dubinsky

Hansen = Anisimov

Hunter > Erixon

1st = 1st

And Rangers got a 3rd

I like Kane, but he's not Nash. Kane has a better contract right now but Nash is still in his 20's and his contract won't be bad in the coming year as the cap rises.

I'd do that trade for Kane. Kane is a rare stud. IMO Horvat is going to be a better player than Hunter.

Though, Nash didn't get that much.

Edler > Dubinsky

Hansen = Anisimov

Hunter > Erixon

1st = 1st

And Rangers got a 3rd

I like Kane, but he's not Nash. Kane has a better contract right now but Nash is still in his 20's and his contract won't be bad in the coming year as the cap rises.

Nash is 29. Kane is 22. Big fan of Nash but he'll start next year as a 30 yr old with injury problems and a HUGE contract.

In a couple seasons Kane > Nash. I make that deal.

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

KANE KESLER BOOTH

HIGGINS SANTORELLI KASSIAN

ARCHIBALD RICHARDSON WEISE.

Chicago, LA and SJ verrrrrrrryyyyyy nerrrrvvvoouuussss.

If you wanna compare Bo to those guys, than Kane is comparable to Iginla, who is >>>>>>>>> all of them. Kane can help us now and next year, vital seasons and playoffs in the twin era. Kane will likely improve just as much as any of our prospects, same age as Kassian. Bo is still a gamble, though looking to be a pretty one sided die this season.

Really?? Iginla is >>>>>>>> Bergeron, Backes, Richards, and Toews?.... so 0 cups >>>>>>>>>>> 4 cups with more to come?... thanx for the sound logic there tips.

Might I also add: top 6 centers >>>>> top 6 wingers. Its a proven fact that the extreme majority of Cup winning teams have stregnth down the middle. Centers are what drive your hockey team. They are more important at both ends of the ice than any other player, and they also have the most opportunity to be creative positionally, whereas the wingers have specific systematic spots that they need to be at all times. And by all accounts, Horvat is polished in all aspects of the game.

To furthur my point, if you have a look at re-building teams, theres a big reason that Colorado leap frogged Edmonton in development. Edmonton drafted one center (RNH), and and 3 wingers (Hall, Eberle, Yaks). Colorado drafted 3 centers (Duchene, OReilly, and MacKinnon), and one winger (Landeskog). Whos driving the bus on those teams, and whos having better success? How bout other solid teams? Pitts, Chi, LA, SJ, StL, Ana, TB, Bos... Which position drives the bus on those teams? What about teams like Washington, Philly, and Toronto? Plenty of talent on those squads. Are their bus drivers center ice men? Maybe its just a coincidence, but history suggests otherwise. It's also why Horvat was a better pick than Nichushkin. VN might be contributing right now, and may also score more goals and points than Horvat over the coarse of their carreers, but Id easily wadger that Bo will be the better player, and will likely be the more successfull over the entire coarse of his carreer.

IM not against picking up a winger in Kane, but a 2 way center prospect like Bo Horvat is not someone you move at this stage in his development.

Nash is 29. Kane is 22. Big fan of Nash but he'll start next year as a 30 yr old with injury problems and a HUGE contract.

In a couple seasons Kane > Nash. I make that deal.

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

KANE KESLER BOOTH

HIGGINS SANTORELLI KASSIAN

ARCHIBALD RICHARDSON WEISE.

Chicago, LA and SJ verrrrrrrryyyyyy nerrrrvvvoouuussss.

Nash was traded at 28 and he already had eight 30+ goal seasons, Kane has 1 and doubtfully this year. I know what you are saying about age but Kane is hoping to be able to score like Nash.

My point is this is what Nash's value was at his prime, Kane can't be too far off.

It's more likely Noel is fired before Evander is traded.

Edit: it looks like some people here agree! I didn't bother browsing

That makes some sense. Noel has certainly had some negative comments about the team in general (i.e. he doesn't have enough depth to replace the whole team) and if there's any animosity on Kane's side it could well stem from Noel more than the overall organization or the city itself. If so, it's an easier decision to move a coach on an underperforming team than move a budding superstar as far as which will improve the team more.

Really?? Iginla is >>>>>>>> Bergeron, Backes, Richards, and Toews?.... so 0 cups >>>>>>>>>>> 4 cups with more to come?... thanx for the sound logic there tips.

Dafuq? Iggy is certainly the best of the bunch there, like by far...so I dunno wut you're arguing.

Im talking bout a 22 year old 30g+ NHL player, and a prospect. Comparing either of them to potential ceilings, in no way means they will achieve the same team success....

So by saying that you'd take any player with a Cup over any without a Cup? Not bad logic from your end either.

^^^WiDeN

A few notes:

Thanks for the reply.

As I said, I would start with that package, and expect them to workshop it, but I don't think Edler is the wrong piece in the deal. He would make a hell of a pairing with Bufuglien both at full strength and on the PP, and would significantly improve their back end. If there is no way to do the deal without giving up Horvat or Shinkaruk, then I wouldn't do the deal personally. However, that type of thinking is what has kept us from getting over the hump, so who knows.

Edler, Hansen, Cassels, and a 1st would likely still not get it done, hence why it's all unlikely. If Kane moves, then I'd bet it is to another non-playoff team looking to switch up some major pieces (Edmonton?).

Why does WPG want edler?

Enstrom, Bygulien, Bogosian, Truba,

Do they really need another $5 million defence for their third pairing? no. They are far worse off adding edler to their line up at the cost of Kane. They are already struggling offensively. Only way Kane gets moved, is for a young 1/2C with tones of potential. If vancouver wants Kane it will involve Horvat or Kesler going the other way. Vancouver doesn't have to pieces to land Kane.

WPG isn't moving Kane anyway

Why does WPG want edler?

Enstrom, Bygulien, Bogosian, Truba,

Do they really need another $5 million defence for their third pairing? no. They are far worse off adding edler to their line up at the cost of Kane. They are already struggling offensively. Only way Kane gets moved, is for a young 1/2C with tones of potential. If vancouver wants Kane it will involve Horvat or Kesler going the other way. Vancouver doesn't have to pieces to land Kane.

WPG isn't moving Kane anyway

Defence wins championships.

Edler - Bogosian

Enstrom - Byfuglien

Stuart - Trouba

You can't tell me Winnipeg doesn't foam at the mouth at the thought of having that defence. They could even move Byfuglien back up to forward if they wanted to.

^^^Pears

You're absolutely right, defense does win championships. So if that's the case, then Vancouver should keep Edler then.

Look, the Jets are having a difficult enough time trying to make the playoffs, let alone "win championships." Trading Kane for Edler does not make them better, it makes them worse and older.

^^^Pears

You're absolutely right, defense does win championships. So if that's the case, then Vancouver should keep Edler then.

Look, the Jets are having a difficult enough time trying to make the playoffs, let alone "win championships." Trading Kane for Edler does not make them better, it makes them worse and older.

The Jets could turn around and trade a Dman, maybe Buff, to perhaps Philly, for a young stud forward. The trades would have more components but it's more than possible.

Archived