The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sportsnet's Dane Fox: Jets GM has been fielding calls for Evander Kane

Southpop45

well Eklund said philly could be close to getting big buff from wpg. usually Eklund means nothing but he is ontop of things with philly so could be true.... lets say this happens. To Philly: Big Buff to Win: Brayden Schenn, 1st round pick, tye Mcginn that trade get win a 2nd line center, good 1st round pick and a solid prospect. This also opens up a spot for a deal that could work with us. To Win: Edler, Gaunce or Jensen, 1st round pick for Evander Kane. For Win this becomes Kane + Buff for Brayden Schenn, Alex Edler, 2 first round picks+ 2 solid prospects. For a team like win this could be a little re tool that could be what the doctor ordered. 3 draft picks.. they could easily trade 2 of them + a prospect to get another fairly good forward. That being said there are a lot of ifs here but I feel that van could potentially involve edler and kane in a deal together.

generally teams should never trade a potential franchise player like kane. But you have to get the feeling that the organization is getting tired of dealing with all these rumors of him being unhappy. if im the jets these are two deals i would offer the canucks:

Evander kane - Ryan Kesler, 1st round pick

Evander Kane - Alex Edler, Zack Kassian or Alex Burrows, and 1st or jensen, or gaunce, or corrado

of course the price will come down after negotiations, but when your dealing a player like kane, you gotta shoot for the moon; but to be honest i dont think these deals are that far off from what the jets will realistically want back

generally teams should never trade a potential franchise player like kane. But you have to get the feeling that the organization is getting tired of dealing with all these rumors of him being unhappy. if im the jets these are two deals i would offer the canucks:

Evander kane - Ryan Kesler, 1st round pick

Evander Kane - Alex Edler, Zack Kassian or Alex Burrows, and 1st or jensen, or gaunce, or corrado

of course the price will come down after negotiations, but when your dealing a player like kane, you gotta shoot for the moon; but to be honest i dont think these deals are that far off from what the jets will realistically want back

If I'm the Canucks I'm not offering Edler, Kassian and a first.

Nor am I offering Kesler, whom will not be replaced by Horvat or any other prospect properly for 2 or 3 years.

Roster player (not as good as the signature player in the deal), a good prospect and a 1st round pick is a common formula. Check Philly deals selling Richards and Carter, selling and receiving Forsburg and acquiring Pronger. I might add that all these guys vastly more established and carried no baggage as Kane does.

This should look more like Hansen, Gaunce and a first. IF MG has given up on Kassian, raise the ante with him instead of Hansen to close the deal. But I stop there. I dont even think I include Kass as I have not given up yet. Booth gets added to balance the salary, but has no value on the deal.

Kane is a good young player, not an all star yet, or a generational player.

It was stuck at the bottom of a page with no one commenting in it.

Way to be an asshole, troll.

:lol: Is that how this works now? If someone doesn't comment on our posts, we post it again until someone comments on it? Weird, but I'm on board.

Roster player (not as good as the signature player in the deal), a good prospect and a 1st round pick is a common formula. Check Philly deals selling Richards and Carter, selling and receiving Forsburg and acquiring Pronger. I might add that all these guys vastly more established and carried no baggage as Kane does.

While I'm not on board with overpaying for Kane, I'm not sure he has that much more baggage than the Philly examples you mention. Richards and Carter were labelled as partiers, Forsberg with all the issues with his feet, and Pronger being excellent but aging and having already forced a trade after a reported affair with an Edmonton weather girl.

:lol: Is that how this works now? If someone doesn't comment on our posts, we post it again until someone comments on it? Weird, but I'm on board.

Is it wrong that I wanted to have a conversation in regards to Kane really wanting to play for the Canucks. I read repeated lame proposal but yet god forbid I try and strike up a conversation with someone. Sorry, I didn't know CDC was being policed.

While I'm not on board with overpaying for Kane, I'm not sure he has that much more baggage than the Philly examples you mention. Richards and Carter were labelled as partiers, Forsberg with all the issues with his feet, and Pronger being excellent but aging and having already forced a trade after a reported affair with an Edmonton weather girl.

Fair, but Kane also is not as established any of those guys were when they were traded. Carter was busting out for 46 goals at 22/23, Richards for 80 points. And they were winners providing the hard edged game not just talent; driving Philly to the finals, Canada to Gold medals... Pronger was Pronger. Once he matured, he carried teams on back to contention. Forsburg... Kane is also not in their league as players, certainly not yet anyway!

The Oilers surely would have kept Pronger if they had a choice (as would have the weather girl...). Its a different baggage to no sync with the team.

Monty ain't no troll buds. He is one of few who can have an actual hockey conversation on these boards.

@Sting: Very unorthodox way of highlighting a 3-way trade. I figured out your trade movement, but I don't follow your cap numbers at all.

Well maybe he can add some constructive criticism instead of just rudely shooting down every proposal involving Kane.

Well maybe he can add some constructive criticism instead of just rudely shooting down every proposal involving Kane.

Oh I have (see top of the page). It's just ludicrous when people keep suggesting the Jets would want Edler, who is playing like garbage and they don't need, in a straight up trade.

I have said numerous times that the Jets' problems aren't defense, but offense. Kane doesn't have a NTC, so he would have no say on where he goes. Therefore, It would be in Winnipeg's best interest to first look outside the Western Conference. There are a number of teams in the East that could use Kane and have young assets, that are forwards, to part with in return (ie: Carolina, Islanders, Buffalo, Philly).

It's not like the Jets have limited options in trading Kane. He is the type of player that teams drool over, especially in the playoffs. Winnipeg's best trading partners for Kane's services are in the East, not the West. And IF they can't find someone in the East (assuming Kane gets traded and they are in a rush to unload him, which they aren't), there are other teams in the West that would be willing to part with young players easier than the Canucks would (ie: Phoenix).

At the end of the day, the Canucks don't have the right assets to give to the Jets in a trade for Kane. Gillis won't part with Horvat and Shinkaruk so soon after drafting them, and any forward the Jets would want in return (Kesler) has a NTC and is needed by the Canucks as a 2nd line centre option.

Long story short, the Jets have better options than the Canucks on this trade. Trust me, I'm a Canucks fan first and then a Jets fan, so I want the Canucks to succeed; but the cards are not in their favour on this one.

Hey Monty - do you think the Jets would consider a package of Kassian + Guance (+ one other mid-range player/pick/prospect).

Not that I think Gillis does that, but it is the only trade I can think of that 1) addresses the Jets organizational needs, 2) doesn't require an NTC to be waived, 3) doesn't involve the two new flavours of the year (Shink & Boho), and 4) isn't just another "our spare parts" proposal.

Personally, I think the Jets would consider, but rather turn to someone who is ready to make an immediate impact. I think this is the last year the fans don't start complaining about missing the playoffs.

If I'm the Canucks I'm not offering Edler, Kassian and a first.

Nor am I offering Kesler, whom will not be replaced by Horvat or any other prospect properly for 2 or 3 years.

This should look more like Hansen, Gaunce and a first. IF MG has given up on Kassian, raise the ante with him instead of Hansen to close the deal. But I stop there. I dont even think I include Kass as I have not given up yet. Booth gets added to balance the salary, but has no value on the deal.

Kane is a good young player, not an all star yet, or a generational player.

^^^ This. On a par with Bobby Ryan at best for return. Why is it people all of a sudden start offering half of our team and prospects AND picks for a guy who hasn't done a fraction of what one of the players they offer has?

Come on guys....

Kane ='s Kesler OR Edler. Not both AND picks AND prospects etc.... hell Gillis could ask for a pick or a prospect as well.\

As I write this Kesler has scored yet another goal, no Sedins involved. What has Kane done again?

Hey Monty - do you think the Jets would consider a package of Kassian + Guance (+ one other mid-range player/pick/prospect).

Not that I think Gillis does that, but it is the only trade I can think of that 1) addresses the Jets organizational needs, 2) doesn't require an NTC to be waived, 3) doesn't involve the two new flavours of the year (Shink & Boho), and 4) isn't just another "our spare parts" proposal.

Personally, I think the Jets would consider, but rather turn to someone who is ready to make an immediate impact. I think this is the last year the fans don't start complaining about missing the playoffs.

Not bad. The major issue with the Canucks on this trade is the salary cap. The one piece that bothers me in that trade is Gaunce, as I've never been sold on him.

As I write this Kesler has scored yet another goal, no Sedins involved. What has Kane done again?

More then Kesler did at his age.

Not bad. The major issue with the Canucks on this trade is the salary cap. The one piece that bothers me in that trade is Gaunce, as I've never been sold on him.

The closer we get to the deadline, the more feasible a move like that could be. Perhaps the other piece could be a roster player with some cap hit - like Hansen - who could be replaced with a cheaper guy. Or the Canucks could try waiving Booth for a while, getting 900K of cap relief, and bringing him up for the playoffs.

Guance isn't a surefire stud, but his skill-set fits a need (2nd/3rd line big center, good on faceoffs, character guy). And Kassian would replace some of the size and grit lost with Kane.

Again, it's not perfect - but that's the only package I could come up with that could potentially land Kane...without a major NTC waive or Horvat/Shinkaruk going the other way.

The closer we get to the deadline, the more feasible a move like that could be. Perhaps the other piece could be a roster player with some cap hit - like Hansen - who could be replaced with a cheaper guy. Or the Canucks could try waiving Booth for a while, getting 900K of cap relief, and bringing him up for the playoffs.

Guance isn't a surefire stud, but his skill-set fits a need (2nd/3rd line big center, good on faceoffs, character guy). And Kassian would replace some of the size and grit lost with Kane.

Again, it's not perfect - but that's the only package I could come up with that could potentially land Kane...without a major NTC waive or Horvat/Shinkaruk going the other way.

Throw in your Tom Waits avatar, and the Jets take it.

^^^ This. On a par with Bobby Ryan at best for return. Why is it people all of a sudden start offering half of our team and prospects AND picks for a guy who hasn't done a fraction of what one of the players they offer has?

Come on guys....

Kane ='s Kesler OR Edler. Not both AND picks AND prospects etc.... hell Gillis could ask for a pick or a prospect as well.\

Thats a pretty good comparable actually!

Fair, but Kane also is not as established any of those guys were when they were traded. Carter was busting out for 46 goals at 22/23, Richards for 80 points. And they were winners providing the hard edged game not just talent; driving Philly to the finals, Canada to Gold medals... Pronger was Pronger. Once he matured, he carried teams on back to contention. Forsburg... Kane is also not in their league as players, certainly not yet anyway!

The Oilers surely would have kept Pronger if they had a choice (as would have the weather girl...). Its a different baggage to no sync with the team.

Kane with 30 goals at 20 and on pace for 30+ at 21 in an 82 game season (during the lockout) certainly aren't too bad. He's having an off year this year (on pace for 21+21=42), but Winnipeg is worse off without the offence and style of game he brings for sure. Not saying he's comparable, just reminding you that you happened to name a number of players with great numbers that did have baggage during their last trades, and I wouldn't necessarily put Richards and Carter as 'vastly' more established either to make it that Kane should be worth much less than what they got.

I want E.Kane on this team as much as everyone else does but sending Kesler over to Winnipeg won't do us any good and pretty much makes no sense.. We need help scoring so why would we send Kesler whose pretty much our best player to Winnipeg? I also don't see see why we can't trade one of our prospects alongside HIggy or Hansen and perhaps add Kass to sweeten the deal? Even add draft pics if the jet fans aren't happy with that..

I want E.Kane on this team as much as everyone else does but sending Kesler over to Winnipeg won't do us any good and pretty much makes no sense.. We need help scoring so why would we send Kesler whose pretty much our best player to Winnipeg? I also don't see see why we can't trade one of our prospects alongside HIggy or Hansen and perhaps add Kass to sweeten the deal? Even add draft pics if the jet fans aren't happy with that..

Kesler would have to agree to going to Winnipeg. And I highly doubt he would agree to going there. Using Hansen and Kassian along with a prospect is a much better, and more realistic idea. Having Kesler and Kane on a line together would be frighteningly excellent.

Archived