The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sportsnet's Dane Fox: Jets GM has been fielding calls for Evander Kane

Southpop45

Kesler would have to agree to going to Winnipeg. And I highly doubt he would agree to going there. Using Hansen and Kassian along with a prospect is a much better, and more realistic idea. Having Kesler and Kane on a line together would be frighteningly excellent.

That's two of our only right handed wingers for another left wing. We already have Booth and Higgins there, and Burrows is originally a left wing as well. Do we force another LW to switch and continue to use Weise in our top 9? Then there's the cap issue.

I can see Winnipeg being interested in a package involving Kassian though. We'd have to move a significant contract along with him to make it work for us cap wise, and likely our 1st to get Winnipeg really interested. If Booth can really string together a larger sample size of decent production then maybe Winnipeg considers. Would Kassian, a 1st and a performing Booth do it or would we need to add anything more significant if Kane truly does want out?

That's two of our only right handed wingers for another left wing. We already have Booth and Higgins there, and Burrows is originally a left wing as well. Do we force another LW to switch and continue to use Weise in our top 9? Then there's the cap issue.

I can see Winnipeg being interested in a package involving Kassian though. We'd have to move a significant contract along with him to make it work for us cap wise, and likely our 1st to get Winnipeg really interested. If Booth can really string together a larger sample size of decent production then maybe Winnipeg considers. Would Kassian, a 1st and a performing Booth do it or would we need to add anything more significant if Kane truly does want out?

If his attitude is as bad as rumoured then your offer is to much. For that matter any offer would be to much. Making that kind of call required inside knowledge of Kane. Probably available if the scouts scratch deep enough. The 'eye and smell' test is a fail but what do I know.

If his attitude is as bad as rumoured then your offer is to much. For that matter any offer would be to much. Making that kind of call required inside knowledge of Kane. Probably available if the scouts scratch deep enough. The 'eye and smell' test is a fail but what do I know.

No one is going care about attitude problems when it comes time to bidding. You are not going to be able to negotiate a lower price based on rumoured "attitude problems". His skillset along with his resume and contract will dictate what teams will offer for him. And that offer is just laughable Booth, Kassian and a 1st. Lol @ "to much", what kind of fatasy land do you live in.

What has Kassian even done to warrant being the center piece in a Kane deal. Kane would return something similar or maybe even more than what the Ducks got for Ryan. And Ryan returned a 1st, top prospect (Silfverberg) and Noesen (Ottawa's 1st 2011). He doesn't have Ryan's multiple 30 goal seasons but he is under team control for longer and is only 22 years old.

If you are trading a 22 year old, 30 goal scorer you would want a really special package to let that go. Kassian has a lot to prove, he is still young but his value in a trade is not very high. If you want Kane you have to put your top prospects on the table, if you are unwilling to do that then you are not really in the running.

Jokinen, Frolik, 1st, Lowry

Kesler

Would you do that? Then why would you expect them to take that.

Hansen > Jokinen

Hansen > Frolik

Booth is serviceable aside from his contract 217LB forwards with 30 goal seasons don't grow on tree's.

Jensen is a recent 1st round pick. Maybe we have to upgrade this component, Gaunce?

^^^

Seeing as though I cheer for both teams, Horvat is the centre piece that I would want the Jets to get back in return. It's not as if NHL teams are in the business to do other teams favours. Giving up Kane, a 22 year old who has already had a 30 goal season and hasn't reached his full potential, without giving up fair market value is foolish.

Kane has already proven what he can do on an offensively starved Jets team. After this season, he is still locked up for another 4 years at an incredibly reasonable cap hit of $5.25M. I just don't know why the Jets would part with such a player for anything less then what he is worth.

Now remember, I'm not saying that Kane will be a better player then the Sedin's or Kesler; but, he has done more at the NHL level at his age then any of those three managed to do. Part of that is icetime, so I understand that. But based off of what he has done, his remaining contract length, and his age, he should and will fetch a lot more than:

- Edler (Jets don't need him, he's injury prone now, and has been playing poorly the last couple seasons)

- Gaunce (Not enough of a high end prospect)

- Hansen (foolish for the Canucks to trade him to begin with. Great cap hit and just signed a new contract w/ NTC).

- Kassian (potential is there, but Kane is worth a lot more than him)

I want both the Canucks and Jets to improve. If the Jets can improve by trading Kane, awesome. But trading Kane for anything less then Kesler (to improve right now), or a package involving Horvat (improve for the future), makes little sense.

Personally rather VAN went for Connolly than Kane. Less risk salary wise and less to acquire.

Love to get E. Kane but loosing top assets for Kane while knowing VAN could really use those ELCs to maximize cap could end up as a double whammy. It's a bigger risk than it looks on the surface. Probably involves dealing another contract of equal $ value away. ie buyout Booth in the offseason.

Jokinen is better than Hansen offensively.

Jokinen is more talented. And bigger. He should be worth more.

But he's not. Partly cuz he's also only a rental and his contract isn't low $'s. Which has not so much value to us at this time.

Problem is, how often does he play hard like Honey Badger, or can his team rely on him?

Ask yourself this way; who would you rather have on your team?

^^^

So is Frolik.

Hansen:

338 GMS

53 G

85 A

138 PTS

Frolik:

378 GMS

68 G

99 A

167 PTS

Defensively though, Hansen is better than both.

Frolik is a talent. And he does play the game where I see Jokinen as a bit of a tosser.

I see Frolik as Mason Raymond having had a chance to play with Sharp, and Kane and Hossa. Also 2knd line in Winnipeg. And he's not bad defensively. Looking at it twice, maybe I'm undervaluing Frolik? Not everybody scores in those situations? But that still makes him a (fringe) 2knd liner who scores off others rather than driving the play himself. Chicago has not seemed to miss him. Nor are we missing Raymond?

I reckon Hansen helps their team more because he sets the tone and pace for-checking, stealing pucks, board battles.. If I had to pick one or the other to be on my team I pick Hansen. Pretty close though, I admit I could be wrong on this one?

We should ask Kane, member here on CDC who also likes the Hawks... He's pretty fair with his evals.

I remember the rumours about Kane from this past year. I think it's a safe bet that he'd like to play in Vancouver. Perhaps if we overpay a little for him, he makes up for it by taking a salary discount to stay here?

Now onto what we'd have to give ;

If Booth was involved in this trade it would be for the sole purpose of WPG buying him out.

I would offer Kassian, Tanev and a conditional pick.

Kassian can score but his effort isn't always there. Perfect for WPG who will give him big minutes and tend to ignore people's D lapses if they are getting points ( re : their top F & D lines)

Tanev is good but Stanton has made him expendable. Stanton does everything Tanev does, with more points and more physicality. Our 6th D spot can be split between Corrado and Weber, with Subban in the future.

2nd or 3rd rounder because 1st is too much for a slumping Kane who probably wants out anyway.

I think you'd have to do something along the lines of Kassian (drafted same year, 9 positions back from Kane and still has lots of potential). Tanev, our 1st for 2014 and Jensen to Winnipeg for Kane, 3rd round in 2014 and maybe another lower end prospect contract that Winnipeg has little interest in to balance out contract numbers.

That "might" get him here.

I think you'd have to do something along the lines of Kassian (drafted same year, 9 positions back from Kane and still has lots of potential). Tanev, our 1st for 2014 and Jensen to Winnipeg for Kane, 3rd round in 2014 and maybe another lower end prospect contract that Winnipeg has little interest in to balance out contract numbers.

That "might" get him here.

Might get an autographed jersey of his.

I remember the rumours about Kane from this past year. I think it's a safe bet that he'd like to play in Vancouver. Perhaps if we overpay a little for him, he makes up for it by taking a salary discount to stay here?

Now onto what we'd have to give ;

If Booth was involved in this trade it would be for the sole purpose of WPG buying him out.

I would offer Kassian, Tanev and a conditional pick.

Kassian can score but his effort isn't always there. Perfect for WPG who will give him big minutes and tend to ignore people's D lapses if they are getting points ( re : their top F & D lines)

Tanev is good but Stanton has made him expendable. Stanton does everything Tanev does, with more points and more physicality. Our 6th D spot can be split between Corrado and Weber, with Subban in the future.

2nd or 3rd rounder because 1st is too much for a slumping Kane who probably wants out anyway.

Kane is 22 and already has a 30 goal season playing in Winnipeg. He is signed to a pretty cap friendly contract if he plays to his potential which really hasn't been an issue until this year. Kane is probably the only young player that has scored 30 goals or more and is on the trade market.

With that being said if you think he is going to be had for Kassian, Tanev and a conditional first you are out of your mind. TO get Kane you will need to trade a top 6 forward like Kesler which is not going to happen so you would basically have to trade Edler for a top 6 forward and then flip that forward for Kane. That is the only way you will see Kane in a Canucks jersey unless MG does the unthinkable and trades away Horvat/Shinkaruk

Archived