The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sportsnet's Dane Fox: Jets GM has been fielding calls for Evander Kane

Southpop45

Edler+Gaunce+1st for Kane would be perfect...if Winnipeg needed d men.

Therefore, our best offer to them would be something like Hansen+Gaunce+1st, which Winnipeg should reject.

Maybe Winnipeg would consider Kassian+Gaunce+1st? But I would hate to give up on a 22 year old Kassian already, especially if he turns into a 50+ point forward and Kane caps out with around 70 points/year.

Wonder if Edler, Hansen, & Shinkaruk would make them blink?

Two nice contacts. Would Edler waive?(doubt it)

Would it also require a pick? This deal could put us over the top.

That's a good proposal. The Jets could then move Byfuglien to Philly for the Schenn's and they would be sitting pretty.

Santorelli and Kassian eat Hansen's minutes.

Corrado and Garrison eat Edler's.

Kane makes Shinkaruk redundant.

I drool at a future line of...Kane-Horvat-Kassian.

Still cant believe how much people under value Alex Edlers trade potential. Dispite the inconsistency and the off year, just do the research to see what players of his talent, position, and age get traded for...

27 year old - 6'3" - 215lbs - former all star with furthur development potential. Hard slap shot, physical element.

He may never pull it together, but most defensmen pull it together later into their careers than forwards. Cap going up, and if he does pull it together, he could be a dominating player for a number of years with a very reasonable contract.

I know Canucks fans are always quick to trade struggling players. It happened with the Sedins. It happened with Bieksa. It happened with Luongo. And now its Edler and Burrows thats earned the whipping boy title for the "fans".

I'm not saying that we shouldnt trade Alex Edler, but I do think that you dont value him as of what he's done over a third of a season. Ovechkin struggled for a couple seasons too, but hes found a way to again be considered with Corsby for best in the world. Nick Kronwall is enjoying a career year. He'll be 33 in January. THats 6 years older than Edler. Be patient Canucks fans. It really is a process.

Anyone we trade east will get better, case and point, Grabner, Raymond, frick even Wellwood. I know the Jets are in the West, but it's not the pacific on a daily basis.

Half the teams in the top 12 in the league are form the Pacific. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 of the top 10 in the league at the end of the year were from the pacific.

Safe to say any player we bring in via trade will probably be worse than where they came from unless it's a pacific teams player.

Anyone we trade east will get better, case and point, Grabner, Raymond, frick even Wellwood. I know the Jets are in the West, but it's not the pacific on a daily basis.

Half the teams in the top 12 in the league are form the Pacific. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 of the top 10 in the league at the end of the year were from the pacific.

Safe to say any player we bring in via trade will probably be worse than where they came from unless it's a pacific teams player.

Last I checked there were only 5 teams in the Eastern Conference with a goals for/against that was positive. A standard comment from players who switch conferences is the different style of play. I don't know if that means a universal assumption that eastern players will automatically do poorer in the west. Check out Minny's roster.

I will say that players out of the old SE Division had inflated stats that simply did not stand up when they moved. The latest appears to be Weisse in Detroit. Kovy had some good years in NJ as well.

Would we have traded Schneider for Kane? In a heartbeat. That means Horvat or any one of our prospects should be fair game trying to land Kane, who is a proven version of exactly what we need.

While I do agree with you, Nash wasn't traded for a crazy package and Nash has proven a lot more than Kane. But you are right, Kane is exactly what the Canucks need.

I dont think you can justify trading Horvat for Kane, by using that you wouldve traded Schneider for Kane.... hey I wouldve too, at the time. BUT given the player that Horvat is looking like he will represent, you just dont trade players like that. All they do is win.

Id love to land Evander Kane, but not at the expense of Bo Horvat +. And thats exactly what Winnipeg will want in the returning package. Kanes value is pretty high, but Horvats value... well it's likely to only increace. Its just not good business to trade an asset whos trending upward at the pace that Horvat currently is. Going from 1/2 a ppg, to .9 ppg the following season, to scoring 16 goals in 21 playoff games, to ppg status in both the Memorial Cup, and the U18 Ivan Hilnka tourney, and currently with 42 points in 27 games and +17... while being the consencus choice for the top shut down, 2 way, and faceoff center in the league.

The 4 players Bo is most compared to.... Backes, Bergeron, M. RIchards, Toews.... all of which are >>> Kane.

Now he may never turn into those players, but the fact that scouts just gush about his all around polished game, and how much of a clutch player he is by seemingly willing his team to win... Thats where the comparisons to Toews come into play.

I agree with the analysts on this one. Bo Horvat at #9 will be the steal of the 2013 Draft. And I also think that at the end of the day, he's going to be a far more valueable player than Evander Kane.

Id be far more willing to move Zack Kassian as part of a package for Kane than Horvat. Since Kane could essensially replace the kind of game we're hoping for out of Kassian, it's a move that could be justified imo.

Agreed but having both would be amazing. I'd like to see Marchand punch Sedin in the face this Saturday with Kassian on the ice.

I dont think you can justify trading Horvat for Kane, by using that you wouldve traded Schneider for Kane.... hey I wouldve too, at the time. BUT given the player that Horvat is looking like he will represent, you just dont trade players like that. All they do is win.

Id love to land Evander Kane, but not at the expense of Bo Horvat +. And thats exactly what Winnipeg will want in the returning package. Kanes value is pretty high, but Horvats value... well it's likely to only increace. Its just not good business to trade an asset whos trending upward at the pace that Horvat currently is. Going from 1/2 a ppg, to .9 ppg the following season, to scoring 16 goals in 21 playoff games, to ppg status in both the Memorial Cup, and the U18 Ivan Hilnka tourney, and currently with 42 points in 27 games and +17... while being the consencus choice for the top shut down, 2 way, and faceoff center in the league.

The 4 players Bo is most compared to.... Backes, Bergeron, M. RIchards, Toews.... all of which are >>> Kane.

Now he may never turn into those players, but the fact that scouts just gush about his all around polished game, and how much of a clutch player he is by seemingly willing his team to win... Thats where the comparisons to Toews come into play.

I agree with the analysts on this one. Bo Horvat at #9 will be the steal of the 2013 Draft. And I also think that at the end of the day, he's going to be a far more valueable player than Evander Kane.

If you wanna compare Bo to those guys, than Kane is comparable to Iginla, who is >>>>>>>>> all of them. Kane can help us now and next year, vital seasons and playoffs in the twin era. Kane will likely improve just as much as any of our prospects, same age as Kassian. Bo is still a gamble, though looking to be a pretty one sided die this season.

Would honestly give them

Gaunce

1st

Tanev

conditional 1st if Vancouver wins Stanely Cup, otherwise 2nd

Jensen

No way... You really want to give up 3-4 first round picks + one of our most solid defenseman for him? That's way too much talent your giving up for one guy who may not even fit on our team . I also have this feeling that him and Torts won't get along.

I'll just say it now, because clearly nobody here has thought of it. If all it took to get Kane from Winnipeg was a package which includes one of the follow, Edler (NTC - unreal people still propose this), Kassian, or Gaunce, don't you think Gillis would have pulled the trigger on this already?

Cheveldayoff is an incredibly patient GM, even moreso then Gillis. He knows that a slow rebuild is the only way to make his team competitive. He worked in Chicago, he knows how long it took for them. Winnipeg is also a market where free agents won't take a discount to play, at least not until they start winning. Vancouver is a more attractive city for free agents and has more BC talented free agents willing to take a discount to play there (ie: Garrison, Hamhuis). Manitoba produces far, far fewer NHL players, so they can't attract as many players. So it must be done from within.

Because of this, Kane will not be given up cheaply. Including this year, he has 5 years remaining on a very affordable contract. If Winnipeg were going to make a trade with Vancouver, it would either be for Kesler or Horvat, Kassian, and a draft pick. Seeing as though Kesler isn't going anywhere, it would be the latter.

Vancouver fans can't expect to get an asset without giving up an asset(s). For example, if Nashville wanted Kane, I would expect Winnipeg would start the conversation with Filip Forsberg, Stalberg, and a draft pick. Not unreasonable for them to expect that sort of return. If that's the case, certainly asking for Horvat (unproven), Kassian (very little production), and a draft pick is not unreasonable either, considering you would be getting a 22 year old, proven 30 goal scorer on a offensively terrible Jets squad, with 4 years remaining on his contract.

Noelle gets fired before they give up on Kane. And even if Kane is available we do not have a GM capable of landing a quality player without gimping our current lineup or prospect pool.

Actually that brings up an interesting point noted after the Feaster firing today. Feaster was fired 8 months after the Iginla trade, Howson was fired 7 months after the Nash trade and Regier was fired weeks after the Vanek trade. Noel's the coach, so that doesn't really fit, but thought it was interesting for some of the recent GM firings.

Unlikely, as others have said, but I would start with Edler, Kassian, and a 1st.

They would likely want a better piece than Kassian which is why I put the 1st in there.

There is no way I would put either of Horvat or Shinkaruk in there. Jensen, Gaunce, and even Cassels could be moving pieces in the offer, because Kane is a special player and worth a big offer.

Another thought is that Winnipeg might want one of our goaltending prospects.

Tanev has made Edler expendable, and Corrado is available to fill in.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kane Kesler Hansen

Higgins Santorelli Booth

Weise Richardson Welsh/Sestito/Dalpe

Hamhuis Tanev

Bieksa Stanton

Garrison Corrado

Archived