The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT- Vancouver 1 - 2 Dallas

Watermelon

"our GM sucks cuz he can't find players who can score" waaaaa waaaaa

Allow me to share some perspective with you whiners who wish we had a real team like the Pens, Bruins, Wings.. for example.

VAN GF 56

PIT GF 56

BOS GF 53

DET GF 54

Bet you didn't know that.

.... dot... dot... dot...

Yeah we play in the West though not the East and in the west only Calgary,Edmonton and Nashville have less goals than the Canucks and teams like Chicago,SanJose,Anaheim,Stlouis and even Phoenix have way more

Detroit is not very good right now but the other two teams while scoring in the same range as us have let up less goals. One stat that gives you a good idea of how well a team is playing overall is goal differential. Teams high in the standings with a small positive goal differential are probably going to come back down to earth at some point because they can't keep winning close goals.

The Canucks are 10th in the West in goal differential with -2. So where they are in the standings is reflective of how they are playing overall IMO. The Canucks are simply mediocre at this point.

You keep looking at the stat sheets, when are you going to realize that not everything in hockey is about the stats, there are lots of things that go unrecorded and unnoticed by most people who demand assists and goals. Kassian wasn't doing the little things right last year but he has started to learn the intangibles of hockey and his overall game will follow suit.

He has played ok but I watched the game last night and I don't think he played "VERY GOOD". He had 3 hits on the night and was noticeable at times but I also noticed he played a lot on the perimeter. He mostly was playing amongst the boards. He really needs to learn to play effectively in front of the net to become a top 6 forward. On most nights he doesn't even try to play there.

He has played ok but I watched the game last night and I don't think he played "VERY GOOD". He had 3 hits on the night and was noticeable at times but I also noticed he played a lot on the perimeter. He mostly was playing amongst the boards. He really needs to learn to play effectively in front of the net to become a top 6 forward. On most nights he doesn't even try to play there.

I don't think you are talking about the same player. Kassian can do everything that a power forward can PLUS he has unbelievable on ice vision for a big man. He is going to be just as good as Bertuzzi was when he is 25.

Until then, give the guy a break. He is 22 years old . Developing power forwards is probably the hardest position to do. Even harder than a franchise defense man.

I keep seeing posts suggesting he is playing so well but the bottom line is he is not producing and most of hits are happening way behind the play. He was noticeable at times last night which is more than can be said of some forwards but he has prodcued only one assist in the last 4 games despite increased playing time. If he is a standout offensively that is a problem.He had a decent game last night but not "very strong" IMO.

I keep seeing posts suggesting he is playing so well but the bottom line is he is not producing and most of hits are happening way behind the play. He was noticeable at times last night which is more than can be said of some forwards but he has prodcued only one assist in the last 4 games despite increased playing time. If he is a standout offensively that is a problem.He had a decent game last night but not "very strong" IMO.

right now, it's not about production with kass, it's about consistency. I'm happy with the effort he's putting in game in and game out for the last month, everything else will come with time.

I don't think you are talking about the same player. Kassian can do everything that a power forward can PLUS he has unbelievable on ice vision for a big man. He is going to be just as good as Bertuzzi was when he is 25.

Until then, give the guy a break. He is 22 years old . Developing power forwards is probably the hardest position to do. Even harder than a franchise defense man.

He'll be 23 in a 2 months. I really don't think he is developing much at this point. So far he has played at about the same level as last year. Good at times, bad at times but no consistency.

I am not that worried that he isn't putting up a lot of points. I am watching his puck possession and retrieval. He can dominate the boards at times. Even tho his last goal was a deflection infront I agree that he is at the perimeter a lot. However his play is much more confident. I am not suggesting he is top 6 yet but have hopes that by March he will be challenging for that spot.

Its infuriating to me how the Sedins are treated with almost contempt by a lot of the refs at least compared to the other top players in the league. I do not know why for the life of me. The brothers seem well behaved on the ice for the most part, and don't complain when they get a legitimate hooking call. But its clear some, not all, of the refs are seriously whistle happy when it comes to the twins. Who can forget the call that clinched the series in game four overtime for the Sharks last year where Sutherland, the farthest away ref, called Daniel's check on Wingels a "violent shove into the boards". On replay you have to almost admire Wingels sacrificing his body by literally flinging himself into the boards after feeling Daniels arms. Hey he learned from the best diving team in the league.

But its part of a disturbing pattern. The Sedins will be called every time they barely graze an opponents hips for hooking. And yet conversely other teams are allowed to cross check, slash, hook and hold them back multiple times every game. You would think these refs would start to admire these tough Swedes that just jump up right away and continue to fight.

I for one am sick of the double standard of the refs treatment of other stars of the league.

I thought Daniel's on-ice reaction was interesting. He kind of just shrugged, as though he knew this is a typical call he gets against him. It must be terrible on a team's moral to just assume the ref's are calling games in the other teams favour.

How many times has a Canucks fan watched a game and when the goal is under review you just assume, in the opposing team's favour. Whether it's the puck under the goalie's glove/pads and the war room is using their x-ray vision or it is a "distinct or perceived" kicking motion.

"our GM sucks cuz he can't find players who can score" waaaaa waaaaa

Allow me to share some perspective with you whiners who wish we had a real team like the Pens, Bruins, Wings.. for example.

VAN GF 56

PIT GF 56

BOS GF 53

DET GF 54

Bet you didn't know that.

.... dot... dot... dot...

Who cares how those teams are doing in the crappy, inconsequential East. Lets look at the teams that are beating us currently, the teams we are competing with for a playoff spot this year and who we will likely be meeting the the playoffs if we do make them. Phoenix 73 GF, San Jose 72 GF, Anaheim 71 GF and to a less important extent, Chicago with 78 GF, and most of them have less games played than us. Those are the stats we should care about, not some cherry picked Eastern teams.

Sheesh; growing up in the Peg we used to watch Hawerchuk, Steen and the boys skate circles around a disinterested Oiler team, that could turn on a switch and score at any time. They could be outshot 40 to 15 and routinely win 4-3. Their snipers were so dynamic they really did not need many shots...

:mellow:

We outshot Dallas 43-23 > And they are not the old Oilers! :sadno:

Oh well, better that we at least carried some play.

We are in a goal funk at the moment, but not a shot drought. In the past years we have seen at times when both the goals and shots seem to disappear but that isn't the case right now. We are not getting the bounces and you can't really do anything about that. They just got to keep shooting and the goals will come.

I think Kassian's game has greatly improved and anyone who disagrees with me hasn't been watching the games. He is rounding out as a player, although he still has lots to learn. I believe by the end of the season there will be a very evident change in his game.

Booth may be a bust but at this moment he is unmovable, so stop complaining about it. He realizes his game isn't were it should be. He knows that with his salary he needs to put up better numbers. Just let him get his game back in order. Nothing is going to happen with him until the off season so..... let it be.

Kesler looks like he is back to his top form, at least better than the past two seasons.

Before we slam the panic button. The Canucks are not getting smashed by the top teams. They are contending with them. For most of the last 4 games they have been out working and more passionate than the opponents.

Relax we aren't even half way yet.

What a refreshing voice of reason.

Archived