The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Ferries new plan

Snake Doctor

the trend is that the money flow is stopping - subsidies, grants.. seeing it in education, transportation.. already seeing programs and depts cut with people losing their jobs. the ministries have to cut $130 million over the next 3 years to balance the budget. this bit with the ferries is just the latest to hit the news but it ain't gonna stop there. i think everyone will get a crash course as to how much services are subsidized by the provincial government when the funding suddenly stops.

'The next 12 to 18 months are going to be tough'
—B.C. Finance Minster Mike de Jong

Just wait. This is more than a 3 year trend in the works.

What I don't understand is why aren't there high speed boats that just take people who aren't taking their cars. If they want more people to go to Vancouver Island build a bridge or make high speed boats that just take people and not cars.

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/nanaimo-region/photos-nanaimo-fast-ferries-could-hit-top-speed-of-76-km-h-1.684635

Or people could be responsible adults. According to your philosophy we shouldn't serve alcohol to anyone who might get in a car afterwards. IE. Everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen, not to mention the vast majority of people are very responsible when it comes to alcohol consumption. That being said, it wouldn't take more than one idiot trying to navigate themselves off the ramp after having one to many drinks on board the ferry to screw up everything for everyone else. It's confusing enough when you're sober lol.

Sounds good to me. It would be awesome to be a walk on or passenger out on the deck in the summer and enjoying a nice cold one without having to be covert about it.

Now that would make the time fly a lot quicker! Maybe have some hammocks strung up as well on the decks :P

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen, not to mention the vast majority of people are very responsible when it comes to alcohol consumption. That being said, it wouldn't take more than one idiot trying to navigate themselves off the ramp after having one to many drinks on board the ferry to screw up everything for everyone else. It's confusing enough when you're sober lol.

Now that would make the time fly a lot quicker! Maybe have some hammocks strung up as well on the decks :P

Again, if that were true, we'd ban driving.

I don't know why there's this weird hypocrisy.

Again, if that were true, we'd ban driving.

I don't know why there's this weird hypocrisy.

People have proven time and time again they'll get into their cars and attempt to drive while intoxicated. Putting alcohol service on a ferry that has limited to no alternative driving services seems like an accident waiting to happen to me. If someone drinks to much and they brought their car, it's not like they can leave it on the ferry and take a taxi.

I say sooner or later they are diggin a tunnel between Horseshoe Bay and Nanaimo. Save billions in the long run.

That would be a 52km under ocean tunnel making it about the same scale as the Channel (connecting England with Europe) and Seikan (connecting heavily populated Japenese island) tunnels. Let's say it would cost 10 billion dollars (not a bad starting estimate).

Even at a cheap 4% interest rate, it would cost 400 million dollars a year just to service the debt, never mind operating the train services it would take as you wouldn't be able to drive in such a tunnel.

Oh, and it would be highly hated by island residents.

If we aren't worried about hate, why not join all the southern gulf islands together with an inter-island parkway (small regional mispeed highway like 80k with windy slowdowns) that goes from the Pender Islands to Gabriolla) and put a big terminal on Mayne Island that connects to it. From that terminal also build a freeway that island hops to the mainland . Upgrade the Malahat such that the Island highway is to the same standard from Victoria to Cambell river. Build a smaller connection from the interisland parkway from it's connection in Gabriolla to Nanamo. That would combine every ferry in the southern region into one route. From that route if you were going to Nanaimo you would take the Island highway right from Mayne or you could take the scenic route going north on the inter island parkway.

Much cheaper. Just as hated.

People have proven time and time again they'll get into their cars and attempt to drive while intoxicated. Putting alcohol service on a ferry that has limited to no alternative driving services seems like an accident waiting to happen to me. If someone drinks to much and they brought their car, it's not like they can leave it on the ferry and take a taxi.

Again, by your theory we would definitely ban people from driving in any rural town or suburb cause there's far fewer options there.

I can't believe you people, it's like you're abdicating all these potential drinking rejects of any responsibility. If you go anywhere and have too much to drink be that a ferry or somewhere else, that's your problem for being an asshat. Stop making these potential asshats the reason for the 98% of the rest of us to not have nice things.

Ignorant statement. There's a lot of (ignorant) people who feel the same way about Vancouver too. Again...don't see how drinking and driving laws are different on a ferry vs on land.

That's just a dumb statement. I've been to Vancouver Island multiple times and it BLOWS there is absolutely nothing to do there period. Vancouver has a million things you can do regardless of what you are interested in.

That being said I would like you to explain to me what exactly you can do on the ridiculously long and boring ferry ride. There is nothing to do if you start serving drinks of alcohol people are just going to start getting drunk because that's the ONLY thing you have will be able to do on the ferry.

That's just a dumb statement. I've been to Vancouver Island multiple times and it BLOWS there is absolutely nothing to do there period. Vancouver has a million things you can do regardless of what you are interested in.

That being said I would like you to explain to me what exactly you can do on the ridiculously long and boring ferry ride. There is nothing to do if you start serving drinks of alcohol people are just going to start getting drunk because that's the ONLY thing you have will be able to do on the ferry.

you sound like petulant 12 year old troll

Again, by your theory we would definitely ban people from driving in any rural town or suburb cause there's far fewer options there.

I can't believe you people, it's like you're abdicating all these potential drinking rejects of any responsibility. If you go anywhere and have too much to drink be that a ferry or somewhere else, that's your problem for being an asshat. Stop making these potential asshats the reason for the 98% of the rest of us to not have nice things.

No, lol. Even by my theory a ban on driving isn't the conclusion.

What my argument is, is that alcohol service on a vessel which deals largely in transporting drivers from one destination to the other has the potential of having a higher risk of accidents due to such consumption. People don't need to be drunk to have impaired judgement and considering the confines of the lanes on most ferries, it could cause problems.

Hey, maybe I am just over concerned about nothing. I just don't see it as a good way of improving revenue.

You make a good point but it's an unfortunate fact of life that a select few jerks ruin things for the rest of us. Personally, I'll sacrifice my beer on the ferry if it even saves one kids life.

Lying to Canadians, particularly seniors, for votes is a tried and true Conservative strategy. Worked pretty well last election! This should not be news to anyone.

Jebus, can you please run BC Ferries?! We'll pay you half the current guy's salary. $50k bonus if you get it to run like a proper service/financially responsibly.

Ignorant statement. There's a lot of (ignorant) people who feel the same way about Vancouver too. Again...don't see how drinking and driving laws are different on a ferry vs on land.

Hire me, I'll put in my 2 weeks notice at work.

No, lol. Even by my theory a ban on driving isn't the conclusion.

What my argument is, is that alcohol service on a vessel which deals largely in transporting drivers from one destination to the other has the potential of having a higher risk of accidents due to such consumption. People don't need to be drunk to have impaired judgement and considering the confines of the lanes on most ferries, it could cause problems.

Hey, maybe I am just over concerned about nothing. I just don't see it as a good way of improving revenue.

You're saying don't serve booze cause some asshats but have too much and therefore can't drive. That's true anywhere. What makes the ferries any different.

You make a good point but it's an unfortunate fact of life that a select few jerks ruin things for the rest of us. Personally, I'll sacrifice my beer on the ferry if it even saves one kids life.

Noble of you, but that philosophy doesn't extend to anything else, so I wonder why the ferry would be treated differently.

Archived