The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our D isn't as strong as people think and wrong decision got us there!

Daretodream

I don't think our D core isn't as strong as ppl think! This is especially true when we consider how much $ we spend with regards to the overall cap space allotted to each team. I don't think we have a number 1 D guy. I think our guys are all 2nd pair guys. We're tied down with hamhuis at 4.5, garrison and bieksa at 4.6 and edler at 5. That's 18.7 mil on 4 D guys that have ntc's. These guys each obviously have some skills as I think they're are all 2nd pairings, as I've said.

Each guy as a few games were they look like top pairings but all are very inconsistent. Garrison looks lost and although he has a good shot, his aim is pathetic; edler looks like he could be awesome but time after time he looks terrible, and everyone wants to trade him because of this; bieksa is having a decent year but when anybody misses a check or is out of place on the ice he almost more than anybody looks like a chicken with its head cut off, he also gets way too emotional at times and at the worst times, which leads to bad decisions, poor penalties, and brain farts; hamhuis is the closest thing to a top pairing guy but since he got run over by Lucic, something is missing in his game.

Tanev is defensively steadier than all of these guys or pretty darn close anyway, and he's only getting paid 1.5. Even with an expected raise he prob only gets 2.5-3. How do we keep this guy with so much money already tied to our overrated D? This guys a keeper and now we prob have to get rid of him and I'd rather have him and Stanton over garrison any day of the week; and at that such little salary cap prob over edler as well. Argggggg Stanton at 550,000 omg what a bloody steal. We can keep him because he's so cheap

Having 10-11 guys with ntc's isn't necessarily the problem. It's the bloody guys we chose. It's the fact that we signed a guy like garrison instead of getting another top 6 forward and letting guys like tanev and corrado and stanton and even alberts(who could play as a 7th or 8th D guy at 7-8 mins per game)at cheaper rates come in. Play our top 4 more ins as many teams do. I know alberts and webber aren't that good but as 7-8 D guys...who cares. Who are chicago, San Jose, St. Louis, etc 7th or 8th D guys? Without looking it up...who are they? Who friggin cares because they rely on their top 4 and a bit on their 5 and 6 D guys, therefore they have more $ for their forwards. We don't need more depth forwards...we need more skilled forwards. Skilled forwards, unless they're your young prospects that developed quickly, are usually more expensive. It's not bloody rocket science!

Our ntc's guys up front whom are considered our core guys aren't the problem necessarily. Sedins, kes, burr, Hansen, Higgins (Hansen and Higgy together make less than 4 mil and they're both hard working 2-way players). It's because GM mike brain dead gillis went out and spent some very valuable cap space in acquiring another expensive overrated guy like garrison instead of getting another forward at that 4.5 cap space or close to it. Imagine our team right now with no garrison on it. Tanev is better than him IMHO anyway. Corrado, webber or even alberts jumps into the 7th or 8th spot playing limited mins. Now imagine a good top 6 player that could be part of our core. Use your imagination on this. Could be anybody that was available as a free agent over the last year or two. Our overall core is better, our offensive numbers are better, our dreadful 2nd pp is better, teams fear us more etc etc

Gillis effed up! Nothing we can do now but see if cap goes up next yr, buy out booth or pray that one of our top 4 D guys gets fed up and is open to a trade, so that we can allocate more $ to a top 6 O that really only has burr, sedins and kes. They need more help sooner rather than later

Our D is actually incredible, as evidenced by the fact that if we traded any one of our top 6 29 other teams would be banging down our door to get them. while they seem expensive now in 3 years their contracts will be very friendly and they'll still be a solid top 6. We have a depth at the blue line few teams have in that we have 4 genuine top 4 D men and 2 others who are rounding into top 4 as well. And while we don't have a star #1 D like the past few cup winners have, we still have a very good group. One of them will inevitably be traded and the return will be nothing short of what this team needs moving forward. Calm yourself down please.

Having lazy inconsistent D guys sounds like a problem to me; especially when some of that much needed cap space is desperately needed to add an unreal top 6 forward that can be part of our core going forward

We have allowed 2 goals or less in all but like 4 games this year, our D is doing everything BUT score and put up points. It is still more of a first and secondary scoring issue than anything.

Our d is good, can sometimes be great for a few games.

We just don't have that 1 top pairing that can play 25+ mins a minute shutting down top players. Just look at the previous cup winner, Bruins, Hawks, Kings all have that top shutdown big minute d-man with a good puck moving d-man and a solid surrounding core. We seem to just have the surrounding core.

We have allowed 2 goals or less in all but like 4 games this year, our D is doing everything BUT score and put up points. It is still more of a first and secondary scoring issue than anything.

Maybe....maybe not....I think it's Luongo more than the defense that's keeping the goals down....the issue I see is it seems that the defense are having a terrible time at getting the puck out of our end and too many giveaways...

I'm actually quite calm there Warhippy; thanks for the concern though! Our team has gone from a Stanley cup favourite to a team that may not make the playoffs this year. We got bounced fairly easily two straight years in the playoffs. Our D isn't horrible but it is overrated. We have an outstanding goalie despite what ppl think, yet, we constantly give up grade A chances against. We give up far too many odd man rushes. Our D is in the top half of the league but its not top 5, yet the $ spent there should be the best a shutting down other teams. We need help on offense. Do you guys think signing garrison was a good idea? If you could do it again would you? Is he a good defenseman to you? Do you think it's wise to have spent so much $ on our top 4 and give them ntc's was a good idea. Do you see us winning the cup? Are we even going to win one series if we even make it to the playoffs?

True but I think part of it is Torts system. Just look at how many odd man rushes we have been giving up and I've been noticing teams looking dangerous on every rush making plays out of nothing. Our defense has looked poor since the last Kings game imo.

New thread. Same recycled ideas.

OP - watch some other teams play some games. You will notice that ALL defensemen are sometimes lazy and sometimes inconsistent. What do you expect? Flawless performances every game??

Right now, the defense is good enough to be competitive. Is there too much money invested in it? Maybe a little but not that bad. Add up the top 4s on all teams and you will likely find most teams have spent the same.

True but I think part of it is Torts system. Just look at how many odd man rushes we have been giving up and I've been noticing teams looking dangerous on every rush making plays out of nothing. Our defense has looked poor since the last Kings game imo.

accountability for odd man rushes don't necessarily belong to the blueline.

cept Lui is 17th in GAA and 24th in SV %

not so good.

Stats a bit misleading he has kept the goals down big time and is pretty much at 2.00 GAA pace. SV% is not that high due to we don't give up many shots.

His numbers are right there with the starters in the league but they can improve still. Has a better GAA than Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist, Ward, and Crawford. I forgot though, these goalies are elite and Lu is an overpaid bum.

cept Lui is 17th in GAA and 24th in SV %

not so good.

James Reimer is 1st in Save Percentage. I guess playing for toronto who ranks number one in give aways gives him a huge edge over Luongo so he has a much better defense in front of him. Lu ranks 24th you say? Means our defense is worse. Lets trade our defense for the leafs and see if Lu's SV% goes up.

My point is those stats tell nothing about how good a defense is.

accountability for odd man rushes don't necessarily belong to the blueline.

Well they mostly result in bad pinches like Stanton did right after the goal last game. Just my opinion, our D hasn't looked good since the last Kings game, and can improve. I would also include overall team defense, just noticing a lot of players wide open and uncovered.

Wrong assessment there pal. Our D is just about the strongest part of our team.

Hammer, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison are all more than second pairing players. Everyone has a weak game now and then. But I'm pretty sure that happens all around the league...

I'd still worry about offense...

Archived