The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

He is almost 24 years old. We Canuck fans have watched him since junior. He is fully developed. He is not getting bigger or stronger or faster.

Zack is a power forward. Like defense men , it takes far longer to develop them. Zacks problems are mental....

By time they are 25 Kassian will be as good as Hodgson and will probably surpass him by then.

1ST line NHL center vs. 4TH line puzzle plug.

Zach will be 23 in one month.

I highly doubt he has what it takes to become a first line NHL player this year ,as Hodgson has done at 23.

The fair debate is does he have what it takes to remain in the NHL,at all?

For those of us who have NHL.com or Center ice, we can assure you Cody Hodgson is a total flop as a first liner. On pace to have the worst season in modern NHL history for point totals by a first line center.

The guy never was a first liner. He reminds me a lot of Brendan Morrison without the speed. BMO was a good second line center turned 1st liner due to Bert and Nazzy.

He is almost 24 years old. We Canuck fans have watched him since junior. He is fully developed. He is not getting bigger or stronger or faster. If anything, at 5ft 11 , I mean 6ft , he should dump some weight so he can become faster.

Zack is a power forward. Like defense men , it takes far longer to develop them. Zacks problems are mental, which are the kinds of things that age and coaching can develop. He already has the size speed and strength.

By time they are 25 Kassian will be as good as Hodgson and will probably surpass him by then.

Just calling him a power forward doesnt make it true. He has the size, but a lot of guys have size. That doesnt automatically make them power forwards.

Speed? What speed? I havent seen any speed from him. But I have seen horrible skating that cant keep up. Strength? So do a lot of players and most of them can back it up with quick feet which Zac cant do.

Power forwards should have hockey sense too. Know when to pass, when to hit, when to shoot. All things that Zac cant do.

ignorant

and only in Buffalo is an undeveloped kid a 'first line player' - so who cares?

Having a man crush on Zach's maybe one day potential does not entitle him to stay on this club.

At this stage,who cares about Kassian,except for Gillis's face ,you and a couple more fan boys?

@News, You're a detailed, well-informed poster(whom I usually agree with), but I recall you lambasting Sestito & the Wheeze rather harshly. Be it a lesson to us all, forecasting/arraying the bottom 2 lines is an art-form, that may have more to do with chemistry/fit than any of us on here realize. MG/Gilman deserve more credit for our org-depth & roster-choices.

Seriously, we loss that deal to Buffalo. Even if Kassian does come around, his upward potential is a Dustin Penner type player, AT BEST will give you your decent 40-50pt season, but inconsistent throughout.

Franchise power forward, or top 6, I don't think so. Top 9 I think Gillis take that and run.

@News, You're a detailed, well-informed poster(whom I usually agree with), but I recall you lambasting Sestito & the Wheeze rather harshly. Be it a lesson to us all, forecasting/arraying the bottom 2 lines is an art-form, that may have more to do with chemistry/fit than any of us on here realize. MG/Gilman deserve more credit for our org-depth & roster-choices.

Quotes would serve you better than unsubstantiated paraphrases - I don't think your 'recall' is accurate in the least here.

In any event, Sestito has been playing six minutes a game and has been ok - I have never "lambasted" Sestito - regardless, I think Archibald is a real threat to him remaining on the roster. Weise is a decent fourth liner imo - again, if you can find a quote where I "lambaste" Weise, post it, as opposed to pretending to speak for me.

^Nah, too lazy & our opinions won't change the grand scheme anyways. You'd know better than me, whether you truly like these two players. Only time I've ever "searched" is probably in the bar after a couple drinks. Though cougars can be nasty.

I like Weise a lot. He has a toughness(willingness to brawl), that Hansen/Higgins lack. I think this team will need toughness by committee(due to media-garbage/reff-inconsistency)..With all this in play, I strongly agree with you on Archibald. I hope he's as good as his first stint suggested. With the three of them, we might fare better in the PO's.

Come April, any team hacking/whacking our talent, will do so carte blanche. MG/Gilman best plan ahead.

Seriously, we loss that deal to Buffalo. Even if Kassian does come around, his upward potential is a Dustin Penner type player, AT BEST will give you your decent 40-50pt season, but inconsistent throughout.

Franchise power forward, or top 6, I don't think so. Top 9 I think Gillis take that and run.

I'll take a Penner anyday especially PLAYOFF time.

Quotes would serve you better than unsubstantiated paraphrases - I don't think your 'recall' is accurate in the least here.

In any event, Sestito has been playing six minutes a game and has been ok - I have never "lambasted" Sestito - regardless, I think Archibald is a real threat to him remaining on the roster. Weise is a decent fourth liner imo - again, if you can find a quote where I "lambaste" Weise, post it, as opposed to pretending to speak for me.

Sestito is here to stay. I love Archy as well & see him here by playoffs for sure but Sestito has done soooo much for this team as far as protecting his Bro's on the ice.

Kassian has HUGE upside .... only way canucks will do well is to play him on the top line. Come playoffs twins are crushed. Burrows and Kesler arent durable anymore. If this team doesnt develop farm team players soon the canucks will be the new edmonton/calgary. Torts can keep his fingers to himself, right now I aint impressed. This team will quit on him too, sad I thought he had learned but I guess not. Again the weakest link on this team is the coach. I had expected team toughness and spirit but I can see that he isnt winning the hearts or minds of his players.

I would love the chance to point my finger into this attention seeking, narcisstic clown repeatedly....

For those of us who have NHL.com or Center ice, we can assure you Cody Hodgson is a total flop as a first liner. On pace to have the worst season in modern NHL history for point totals by a first line center.

The guy never was a first liner. He reminds me a lot of Brendan Morrison without the speed. BMO was a good second line center turned 1st liner due to Bert and Nazzy.

He is almost 24 years old. We Canuck fans have watched him since junior. He is fully developed. He is not getting bigger or stronger or faster. If anything, at 5ft 11 , I mean 6ft , he should dump some weight so he can become faster.

Zack is a power forward. Like defense men , it takes far longer to develop them. Zacks problems are mental, which are the kinds of things that age and coaching can develop. He already has the size speed and strength.

I agree. Of course we'd all like Kassian to be further along in his development, but it's not like we gave up a particularly great player to get him. Yes, we could still end up losing the deal but it was a risk worth taking. The deal cost us more with injuries last year than it has this. There is no point in getting all impatient and scapegoating Kassian for the bigger problems with this team. Those who don't like him should be happy with the treatment he's getting. Those of us who do are the ones who should be complaining. I remember when the Sedins were breaking in, they endlessly got 2nd unit power play time that they hadn't "earned" strictly speaking, and that a lot of people hated that. Seems like it worked out in the longer run. Sometimes you have to put people in places where you're projecting them to succeed, and help them grow into the role. That's what I'd like to see a bit more of with Kassian. Not full-time, but some carrot to go with the stick.

Funny that we can judge Hodgson, who has 17pts in 28 games, second leading scorer on a god awful Sabres team that can't score after their first line and therefore provide really easy matchups for the rest of the NHL. He's young, but apparently completely done developing and on the down swing of his career already going by some comments, while Kassian, Mr. Sweet and soft hands has only 5 goals, 1 assist this year on a much more successful team.

Every bs excuse in the world doesn't make Kassian better. 94 pts in 167 gms vs 27 pts in 107 gms. That means that in order for Krappian to be even just as good as Hodgson he has to score 67pts in 60 games. Oh, but we can't compare them that way, not fair. Kassian is younger, he's a power forward, no, he's more of a passer, no, he's a goal scorer and needs elite line mates to prove it, no, he really just needs pp time, no, the coaches are misusing him, blah blah blah.

In reality Kassian is a struggling 4th liner who needs to learn how to work like a NHL player or he will be another Jason King, a guy who had a good short run with the Sedins who could never do anything else useful without them.

Like burrows you mean..

Archived