The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

This hit stat is extremely inaccurate

In the last ten minutes of the second i was keeping track of the hitting going on. Kassians shift around the 7 min in the 2nd he first hit landeskog on the boards then finished his check behind the net on Guenin. The his last shift in the second he at 1:04 he finished his check on Stastny. Yet still is only accredited with ONE hit so in that game. It's been the same thing the last few games.

Don't believe me go back and rewatch the shifts I have pointed out. If those hit are credited as a hit, I don't know what you'd need to do to get credited.

Just goes to show you, that you can trust every stat you see.

Hits are generally considered a pretty weak stat (hugely subjective and no real standards). Some rinks you hear 5x what you would expect, others half.

Comparing CH to ZK makes little if any sense... as it would be hard to find two more different players.

- The trade was stupid and nonsensical for a great many reasons... few of them having anything to do with K.

- no one would be telling us how great he is if he weren't wearing (however shabbily) a Canuck sweater.

Ahhh the semantics of pointless banter. I guess by the textbook definition of disappointing, to some Kassian is a disappointment. After all, he is not fulfilling some fans hopes and expectations...who am I to argue someone's expectations. He is not a disappointment to me because I had no expectations from him and I still don't. He could be a player, he could be a bust, arguing about it is really just splitting hairs.

So many butt hurt comments. People seem to forget, when you start with rhe canucks and they want to keep you around, you start on the 3rd and 4th line. Last year kass had 4 goals and 2 assists in the first 6 games playing on the 1st line. Proven it works, he was even quoted as vancouvers best forward through that stretch. Look at Kes and Burr, what lines did they start on, look at Hansen and Higgins...same line. Kass will dominate up front for the canucks in years to come.

Comparing CH to ZK makes little if any sense... as it would be hard to find two more different players.

- The trade was stupid and nonsensical for a great many reasons... few of them having anything to do with K.

- no one would be telling us how great he is if he weren't wearing (however shabbily) a Canuck sweater.

You are right, no one here would care if he was on another team. The fact remains he needs to learn from the bottom up ie more AHL experience. He needs to get more self esteem, confidence and a roots level knowledge of the game. It is obvious he is lacking that. Putting him on the power play May pot him another goal or two yes but in the long run, that will not fix his problem.

As John Garret stated the other night, a goal scored by him only leads to more expectations of him. He is not ready for those expectations. He does not know how to handle that additional responsibility. I seriously believe giving him more NHL responsibility at this juncture in his learning curve will be his demise. He is not consistent, or mature enough to be handed those reins and if he should falter in any way a potentially good career will be once again lost.

I don't for one minute hate Kassian. Through no fault of his own he has been placed in a delicate situation and is lost.

I believe he is being mismanaged and all too many believe his potential will thrive in the NHL if he is put into positions of more responsibility. Yes he has some potential but has it been grossly over evaluated at this juncture of his career? I attribute his inadequate effort, the display of being lost out there and having no confidence is solid evidence that he needs help other than what he is getting now.

Once again, that help can only be given to him in the AHL where he can play more minutes, feel less responsible and subsequently regain the confidence everyone saw when he was drafted. It may take a year but it would be better for him than this dismal experience he is now being given.

There is no player who gets first line minutes and plays the 1/2 wall on the first unit power play who wont get at least 60 points.

Rick Nash, Ryan O'Reilly, Gabriel Landeskog say otherwise. That was just in 2012. When you are on a crap team with little depth it's an easy matchup for the other teams. Nash was a FIRST overall pick and a player in his prime, but could not even score 60 points.

Sestito would get 50 plus points if you gave him 20 min a game under those juicy conditions.

Seriously, how much are they paying you to be that silly because I want some of that money LOL. Burrows barely cracks 50 playing with the Sedins and getting 2nd PP time. How on earth would a guy like SESTITO score 50 points? He's on the 4th line for a reason because he SUCKS. Taylor Pyatt was still more skilled than Sestito and he barely managed 20 goals with the Sedins.

As stated earlier in the thread, you Hodgson apologists will only ever cherry pick his 'points' and ignore the rest because he is useless in every other way.

Kassian IS useless in every way. It's why we want him sent down because it would be better for him developmentally. Next.

Problem with your theory is that he is doing crap with those minutes. I cant find a single time in NHL history since expansion that your teams leading scorer got less than 60 points. Even if it exists somewhere , surely we can all agree that Hodgson is on pace to challenge the record for ineptitude.

Those are also the facts.

It has happened plenty of times but you don't want to look it up. Instead you want to make a false statement to slag a player already out the door to make yourself feel better about Kassian sucking. Top players on crap teams = easy matchups. This is why they struggle to score. Is every top line player on a lottery team inept? Was Rick Nash challenging the record for ineptitude?

Some "facts", huh?

You are right, no one here would care if he was on another team. The fact remains he needs to learn from the bottom up ie more AHL experience. He needs to get more self esteem, confidence and a roots level knowledge of the game. It is obvious he is lacking that. Putting him on the power play May pot him another goal or two yes but in the long run, that will not fix his problem.

As John Garret stated the other night, a goal scored by him only leads to more expectations of him. He is not ready for those expectations. He does not know how to handle that additional responsibility. I seriously believe giving him more NHL responsibility at this juncture in his learning curve will be his demise. He is not consistent, or mature enough to be handed those reins and if he should falter in any way a potentially good career will be once again lost.

I don't for one minute hate Kassian. Through no fault of his own he has been placed in a delicate situation and is lost.

I believe he is being mismanaged and all too many believe his potential will thrive in the NHL if he is put into positions of more responsibility. Yes he has some potential but has it been grossly over evaluated at this juncture of his career? I attribute his inadequate effort, the display of being lost out there and having no confidence is solid evidence that he needs help other than what he is getting now.

Once again, that help can only be given to him in the AHL where he can play more minutes, feel less responsible and subsequently regain the confidence everyone saw when he was drafted. It may take a year but it would be better for him than this dismal experience he is now being given.

you can see he is terrified to make mistakes out there. He is a player with great offensive instincts, but he is being badly misused and his development mismanaged horribly. He has all the tools to be the player the Canucks, and fans, want him to be, but JT and MG are crushing his confidence and thus his play suffers. Putting him in a position to succeed isn't going to hurt anything, as there is no even playing field with JT...........there's already a division between how certain players are treated compared to others.

you can see he is terrified to make mistakes out there. He is a player with great offensive instincts, but he is being badly misused and his development mismanaged horribly. He has all the tools to be the player the Canucks, and fans, want him to be, but JT and MG are crushing his confidence and thus his play suffers. Putting him in a position to succeed isn't going to hurt anything, as there is no even playing field with JT...........there's already a division between how certain players are treated compared to others.

Lol. The old fail safe of the desperate. It's the coaches fault Kassian sucks...not Kassian's. Awesome. 3 of the best coaches in hockey are to blame for Kassian being lazy. Ruff, AV and Torts are all wrong and stupid, we should leave the coaching of this young player to the brilliant minds of stawns, kasssquatchian and oldnews.

Lol. The old fail safe of the desperate. It's the coaches fault Kassian sucks...not Kassian's. Awesome. 3 of the best coaches in hockey are to blame for Kassian being lazy. Ruff, AV and Torts are all wrong and stupid, we should leave the coaching of this young player to the brilliant minds of stawns, kasssquatchian and oldnews.

absolutely

young players need to be nurtured and developed, not punished and marginalized. You don't get the best from anyone by putting them in a position were failure is the most likely outcome, especially young players.

kassian needs to be better, no one is disputing that, but when you have all the tools and the willingness to use them, it sometimes falls on those in charge. Attitude reflects leadership

bert also never took off till he got traded to the canucks. Hopefully kass flourishes w the canucks. That was a high risk trade.

Please dont compare Bertuzzi to Kassian.

Bertuzzi is an awesome skater. Great shot. Good playmaking skills, Great hockey IQ. Those are the skills he already had that flourished.

Kassian is a horrible skater. Never seen a great shot from him. Havent seen playmaking skills from him except for maybe 2,3 times. He seems to have no hockey IQ. You have to have a seed first before you can flourish.

absolutely

young players need to be nurtured and developed, not punished and marginalized. You don't get the best from anyone by putting them in a position were failure is the most likely outcome, especially young players.

kassian needs to be better, no one is disputing that, but when you have all the tools and the willingness to use them, it sometimes falls on those in charge. Attitude reflects leadership

We're in the winning business and there are 9 forwards playing better than Kassian. If we want to develop him send him to the minors. Torts isn't just going to give him top line minutes over players who are playing better just because he's young. We're trying to win games here and Kassian having minimal ice time seems to be working just fine. We're on a 4 game winning streak if you weren't aware.

Bit of a joke THAT.

One player plays against the league's top lines every game and the other plays sheltered minutes on the fourth line.

Player on league's worst team:

What's a joke is your grasp of 'reality'.

The facts were staring you in the face - the quality of competition they face is virtually identical.

You're right about one thing though - Hodgson is playing on the NHL's worst team - and neverthess his relative corsi - relative to all those players on the worst team in the NHL - is 20th among them.

Nice try spinning that though nit.

Hey Kassian fans, dont let his on ice futility get in the way. He's young and although he has very little tools to work with except a big(often out of shape) body, he's young. He cant skate but he's young. He's showing no offensive upside but he's young.

Oh yeah, and Cody Hodgson isnt exactly setting the league on fire. How that helps Kassian, I have no idea but Buffalo sucks.

Archived