The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Bert was sometimes really lazy offensively as well. I think that's what made most fans crazy as they knew what he could do but he just didn't put in a full effort and use his massive size. How much did his bad back play into it tho?

I'd have to agree there too. What stands out for me was the signature 'enters-the-zone-down the-right-wing, follows-boards-down-behind-the-net, continues-to-circle-to-the-halfboards...still-hanging-on-to-the-puck, coasting-towards-blueline....dumps-aimless-backhand-into-who-knows-whose-land.... :)

If I saw that once, I saw it 300 times haha.

I always thought the Canucks should send Bert to bootcamp in the offseason and make him play as a blueliner. Could just see him as an unstoppable force - I mean, imagine if he approached the game like Burrows, Higgins, Kesler, Hansen....

He did improve - a lot - later in his career though imo.

I'd have to agree there too. What stands out for me was the signature 'enters-the-zone-down the-right-wing, follows-boards-down-behind-the-net, continues-to-circle-to-the-halfboards...still-hanging-on-to-the-puck, coasting-towards-blueline....dumps-aimless-backhand-into-who-knows-whose-land.... :)

If I saw that once, I saw it 300 times haha.

I always thought the Canucks should send Bert to bootcamp in the offseason and make him play as a blueliner. Could just see him as an unstoppable force - I mean, imagine if he approached the game like Burrows, Higgins, Kesler, Hansen....

He did improve - a lot - later in his career though imo.

The same is probably true about the amount of times he took us off a pp with a hook or a slash.

Back to the thread...Kassian definitely has the best hockey teeth one the team.

The same is probably true about the amount of times he took us off a pp with a hook or a slash.

Back to the thread...Kassian definitely has the best hockey teeth one the team.

Yes, great hockey teeth. Total throwback.

Just have to say one last thing about Bert though (back to positives about Bert) - when he decided he was going to the net - he was simply unstoppable. I think the only defenseman in the NHL who was ever effective in slowing him down was Willie Mitchell when he played for Minnesota. If Kassian could add that to his repertoire, with his speed, it would be sweet.

Yes, great hockey teeth. Total throwback.

Just have to say one last thing about Bert though (back to positives about Bert) - when he decided he was going to the net - he was simply unstoppable. I think the only defenseman in the NHL who was ever effective in slowing him down was Willie Mitchell when he played for Minnesota. If Kassian could add that to his repertoire, with his speed, it would be sweet.

And Jackman, they had some good battles, same with Phaneuf when he was actually good.

No, he was as good a Lucic yesterday.

The only difference is that Kass slowed down on his hits.

I feel like he's scared to take on the legit tough guys around the league so that's why he doesn't play very physical against tough teams. Could be wrong though.

Not sure what more he was supposed to do last night.

There is no Thornton or McQuaid in Boston's lineup.

Lucic had his bell rung the night before in Edmonton and may not have been looking to go again himself.

The Canucks were laying a beat down on Boston - what is the point of looking to fight?

Boston didn't engage in any of the kind of liberties that require an answer.

Kassian has not in his entire time in Vancouver engaged in running around looking for big hits. He takes what comes to him in context and imo does a very good job of staying composed and playing with the right amount of edge. In those particular cases where the Canucks have needed him to go out of his way, he has done that. He intimidated Phaneuf and neutralized Toronto's rather routine attempts to set the physical tone. He turned the LA game around in one shift. He picks his spots, and he's actually quite intelligent about it.

Lucic had his bell rung the night before in Edmonton and may not have been looking to go again himself.

The Canucks were laying a beat down on Boston - what is the point of looking to fight?

Kassian has not in his entire time in Vancouver engaged in running around looking for big hits. He takes what comes to him in context and imo does a very good job of staying composed and playing with the right amount of edge. In those particular cases where the Canucks have needed him to go out of his way, he has done that. He intimidated Phaneuf and neutralized Toronto's rather routine attempts to set the physical tone. He turned the LA game around in one shift. He picks his spots, and he's actually quite intelligent about it.

^^^

I think this is the one thing that has surprised me with Kassian is his smarts and know-how of when the time is right. For all the "knocks" against him, he is very good in this way. I think with time and experience, he may just turn into exactly what the Canucks thought he was going to. Remember people, he's still a young hockey player finding his place. To give up on him may prove costly.

^^^^Deserves to be bumped again and again ^^^^^

That's one aspect of his game that's good to see - he doesn't go all Tootoo and chase people around the ice just to get a hit no matter what.

*Bump*

Kassian's line vs the Stars

0 - G

0 - A

0 - Pts

0 Shots

14:15 TOI

Let's hope he plays better vs the Hawks. He can't get much worse.

What about turn overs? All I saw was turn over after turn over and being lazy about it nor caring to fix his mistakes...he was looking more like a liability and I suppose the -3 reflected that. Unacceptable when other people are working their ass off or where there are others who could be called up and would put in much better effort and not be a liability and show more maturity and professionalism.

Archived