The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

Comparing Kassian and CoHo is a waste of time- Ask yourself how each would do if they switched teams- Kassian is in an ideal situation for himself- His success is totally centered around his mental approach to the game- Once he figures that out he will slide up the roster-

CoHo is stuck in a Buffalo purgatory-

Big game for Kassian last night.

If I have one criticism, it is that he needs to generate more SOG. He often gets Henrik syndrome in the offensive zone and passes when he should let one rip at the goalie. Other than that, he's played his most consistent hockey in Vancouver since the end of November.

Agreed.

That goal was a full stride in between the legs of Keith Seabrook. Even the Hawks announcers were saying it takes very serious skill to pull that off at the NHL level to a guy like Seabrook.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, the guy has 7 goals. The only thing the Hodgson lovers have left is the stupid goals and points which are Codys bread and butter . He is supposed to be better than Kassian at it.

Hodgson has 8 goals. Kassian 7. His extra goal is an empty netter. First line minutes, first line team mates and all that PP time.

Anyone saying we lost that trade at this point is being belligerent. Kassian is going to make him look like a joke in 2 more years.

This post right here illustrates very nicely who the "haters" and "lovers" are.

Cody Hodgson is a better hockey player then Zack Kassian. Thats just the realty. You needing to call people haters and lovers and slag off another player to make zack look good makes you look like a 12 year old.

Cody Hodgson is a better hockey player then Zack Kassian. Thats just the realty. You needing to call people haters and lovers and slag off another player to make zack look good makes you look like a 12 year old.

I'm so tired of this debate because it goes no where. The trade is now old news about two different types of players on different teams going in different direction. People still going on about this trade are not lovers or haters of the players but the trade. It's done. Vancouver has Kassian who is improving slowly but improving and Hodgson is on a rebuilding club where he finds himself injured at present.

We don't know how this will turn out in the end but that is how people see things right now, the end result. That is what I take issue with. Neither player has come to full fruition and both arguably have a lot of up side if things in their own right line up. Point being we're at the point where we're at because of a trade a few years back. There are lots of what if's and could have beens but it is what it is, now!

I'm not even looking at the players any more but their environments. What coach would you want developing your young players at present? Not what coach mishandled a players development in the past?

This topic is with out full foundation until each play has respectfully finished their development. All I know is it won't be at the same time and may not be fully judged until their careers are over.

Not knowing the difference between "then" and "than" makes you look illiterate at any age.

Agreed.

That goal was a full stride in between the legs of Keith Seabrook. Even the Hawks announcers were saying it takes very serious skill to pull that off at the NHL level to a guy like Seabrook.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread, the guy has 7 goals. The only thing the Hodgson lovers have left is the stupid goals and points which are Codys bread and butter . He is supposed to be better than Kassian at it.

Hodgson has 8 goals. Kassian 7. His extra goal is an empty netter. First line minutes, first line team mates and all that PP time.

Anyone saying we lost that trade at this point is being belligerent. Kassian is going to make him look like a joke in 2 more years.

Get over the Hodgson thing already. Cody is gone, let it go. Why does Kassian's production (or lack of) have to be compared to Hodgson? So if Kassian is sucking real bad, we can say that Hodgson is sucking worse? How does that help the Canucks win games?

Kassian is playing where he belongs. He's a 3rd line guy who can potentially get 15-20 goals. I've said that all along. If people would stop expecting a 1st line, power forward, Bertuzzi in his prime type of player, he wont be a dissapointment. He doesnt have the skills to be a high end player in the NHL.

Get over the Hodgson thing already. Cody is gone, let it go. Why does Kassian's production (or lack of) have to be compared to Hodgson? So if Kassian is sucking real bad, we can say that Hodgson is sucking worse? How does that help the Canucks win games?

Kassian is playing where he belongs. He's a 3rd line guy who can potentially get 15-20 goals. I've said that all along. If people would stop expecting a 1st line, power forward, Bertuzzi in his prime type of player, he wont be a dissapointment. He doesnt have the skills to be a high end player in the NHL.

Yeah, I'm never a fan of comparing players directly at the best of times but these two are quite different and playing on very different teams. Comparing stats is pretty much meaningless.

Kassian is on pace for 17 goals in 76 games, while playing third line minutes and getting just over a shot a game. If I told everyone that Zack was going to have a 15 goal season before the season started, I think most people would be pretty happy with that. The only reason his point totals are so low is because he's not getting assists. Like most people here, I'd like to see him throw his weight around more and take more shots, but overall he's having a decent season right now.

I felt he has played enough games with us that we can finally start to criticize him and his development since joining this team.

I think there is something really off about his hockey sense. When he plays he just doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to reading or making the right plays. He just extremely inconsistent too in both his effort and ability.

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

Did the Canucks make the mistake in trading for Kassian? i understand that Hodgson didn't want to play here but maybe we could have targetted someone else. Ive just been extremely unimpressed by his play as a Canuck. Seems like AV wasn't really the problem either because the new coaching staff are basically treating him the same way. He just hasnt earned an opportunity and its disapointing. It has nothing to do with his character either, hes a good person.

Thoughts?

There would be a fundamental problem if we started calling all 22 year olds disappointments. He's a baby adult FFS... Give it a rest.

I think Torts isn't letting him on the Sedin line so he can learn that he wont just get the spot because he is there and has potential. He wants him to work for it like Burrows,Hansen and Santorelli did. I think its going to be better for his career to move up the line up like everyone else did

Hear me out. This kid has 0 hockey iq.

Doesn't know what to do with the puck. Always just gives it away blindly.

Never backchecks. I have never seen him go beyond the hashmark on our end.

His shot seems ok though.

Pretty much this.

Ok, he scored last night but if it were't for the deflection does anyone think it really would've gone in? Sure, they all count but he's no sniper. Kass has a grand total of one assist. One. FFS, does that sound like someone who see's the ice well, has great hockey IQ and uses his linemates? He's a mucker who only mucks it up on occasion. He's way, way off where we need him to be. He's closer to being benched again than he is getting promoted to the Sedin's line people.

This kid is improving nicely. He has a great tool set and is maturing in the NHL. He continues to show great vision and his awareness in the defensive zone is improving. He makes some sweet passes and see's the ice well. Just needs his linemates to finish a little better and his assist total will go up.

Archived