The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The problem is...

kill_the_avs2

OP, if you're feeling flamed, keep in mind everything in your post is discussed ad naseum in a lot of other threads.

I completely disagree about Luongo, though. But, that's an endless debate and not worth starting anew here.

I mostly agree about Daniel - nothing new though, his scoring touch ain't what it used to be.

the same as its alway ben NO FINISH. hansen on the top line screams volumes to the scoring depth we really have.don't get me wrong he's a great THIRD liner but thats it his hands are terrrible. so worried about secondary scoring this team lacks a primary natural goal scorer.

There is no problem,,, the canucks are what they are... A better then average team with a lot of heart and not enough top end scoring ability or a legit number one defenseman. They will go through ups and downs but win more then they loose. they are a very nice team that are better then most but not quite good enough to contend for a cup.

We used to have 2 40 goal scorers, 1 30, 2 20's. Now we have 1 30+, and 2 20's. No one has replaced those goals, so we often come up just short.

To be fair, we have like 4 guys who could potentially hit 20: Daniel, Henrik, Santorelli and Higgins. If Burrows didn't have all these injury problems he would've likely hit 20+ as well.

To be fair, we have like 4 guys who could potentially hit 20: Daniel, Henrik, Santorelli and Higgins. If Burrows didn't have all these injury problems he would've likely hit 20+ as well.

And I'd rather have multiple 20g forwards than one 40g guy. Spreading out scoring is a good thing. With a 1a and 1b lines it forces the other team to have to pick which line to cover

Eh, while spreading out the offense is fine and all, those player aren't scaring anyone. A couple teams make it work, like Boston, but their road is much different. LA is kinda the same, but they do have Carter and are much better at taking away space than we are.

Without Danny scoring, there's not much that requires shutting down. Just watch the twins pass between themselves, both shooting like girls when they finally do pull the trigger. It's likely to just keep ending up with a lot of fans, and a lot of missing the net.

It amazes me how people can't (or don't want to) see what we do have over what we don't have. Each time we lose someone to injury, we've seen a lot of guys step up. And we're still in the thick of a playoff spot.

In some ways, these so-called plugs "have been" our game-breakers. We have a lot more depth than some people give us credit for.

I agree about Daniel and that we're missing his legit scoring potential. But the Sedins haven't been ghosts. Daniel does need to find that scoring touch again.

What we really need is for our core to all play at their best. The players we started to write off around here are playing better. The core needs to do the same. If Daniel can find his game like Kesler, that's what we need.

The big game breakers aren't easy for any team to get in this climate. But we're not going to win every game. That's just the reality. We've got a good team in a tougher, competitive season with realignment.

It amazes me how people can't (or don't want to) see what we do have over what we don't have. Each time we lose someone to injury, we've seen a lot of guys step up. And we're still in the thick of a playoff spot.

In some ways, these so-called plugs "have been" our game-breakers. We have a lot more depth than some people give us credit for.

I agree about Daniel and that we're missing his legit scoring potential. But the Sedins haven't been ghosts. Daniel does need to find that scoring touch again.

What we really need is for our core to all play at their best. The players we started to write off around here are playing better. The core needs to do the same. If Daniel can find his game like Kesler, that's what we need.

The big game breakers aren't easy for any team to get in this climate. But we're not going to win every game. That's just the reality. We've got a good team in a tougher, competitive season with realignment.

My concern is that this isn't the same in the playoffs. It's one thing for a call up to make an impact here or there in October. Different situation in May. If the stars aren't doing it in playoffs, you see the early exits.

First been a van since 89 first live game I was 8.

Team has great heart and seems to be playing well together. But we need a game breaker. We need some pure talent to score and as for the plugs we have it's amazing we 9 above .500

D Sedin.... What happened I remember this guy actually being a legit goal scorer in the NHL... Now if it's not from 2 feet and set up perfectly... Forget it

Luongo... Let's not go there 06/07 was the peak

Elder... Hits doughty in playoffs once and disappears for rest of career.

Kesler... Good job this season but if he's are go to player then... Well see title.

Tomorrow things are gonna get ugly unfortunately I've seen this movie before.... And well my rant us over.... Nite

:lol:

the same as its alway ben NO FINISH. hansen on the top line screams volumes to the scoring depth we really have.don't get me wrong he's a great THIRD liner but thats it his hands are terrrible. so worried about secondary scoring this team lacks a primary natural goal scorer.

I fully agree that Hansen is a great third liner, but in the current situation I have no problem with him on the first line. The second line of Higs, Kes and Santorelli is playing like a first line. Once Burrows gets back we'll have a solid second line that has played together for weeks and developed chemistry and a first line that belongs as a first line.

Last game the Sedins played around 18 minutes and Hansen played 15ish. The second line played similar minutes and even Richardson cracked 16 minutes. Torts recognizes that our first line is weakened and our second line is picking up the slack and he adjusts their ice time accordingly.

So because of that I have no problem with Hansen on the first line, and because of the surge of the second line I have no problem with secondary scoring.

My concern is that this isn't the same in the playoffs. It's one thing for a call up to make an impact here or there in October. Different situation in May. If the stars aren't doing it in playoffs, you see the early exits.

I get the concern. But the way I see it, the stars wil be fine. I'm confident that the money stars will get it together, because they know a lot of our long-term season success is on their shoulders.

I mean, we were all concerned about Kesler and Booth but they're now finding their game. Those holes are being filled. I'm sure Daniel will find his again.

I was more concerned about the roster beyond the stars and whether guys could step up on a consistent basis. That's been really great for us.

Despite the challenges, these guys continue to address our concerns. Maybe not all at once but we have been seeing a lot of progress... especially with the injuries. That's what I'm looking at from a wider perspective. I think this season is a slow burn to really finding out overall game as a team. That could bode well for the playoffs.

I'm trying not to play the "what if" game and look at what we have done in relation to some of earlier concerns.

First been a van since 89 first live game I was 8.

Team has great heart and seems to be playing well together. But we need a game breaker. We need some pure talent to score and as for the plugs we have it's amazing we 9 above .500

D Sedin.... What happened I remember this guy actually being a legit goal scorer in the NHL... Now if it's not from 2 feet and set up perfectly... Forget it

Luongo... Let's not go there 06/07 was the peak

Elder... Hits doughty in playoffs once and disappears for rest of career.

Kesler... Good job this season but if he's are go to player then... Well see title.

Tomorrow things are gonna get ugly unfortunately I've seen this movie before.... And well my rant us over.... Nite

9 games above .500?? I don't call 20 wins and 17 losses being 9 games above .500. If you are going to only count the regulation time losses then only count the regulation time wins or you are fooling yourself big time.

2 losses in 2.5-3 weeks.. Yep lets start the rebuild.

We were out of the playoffs before a hot streak put us back in (currently 7th with 3 more games played than some of our competitors). We could easily miss them this year and I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas starts rolling and gets in and that minny, the avs, or the Canucks wont make it.

We have also been getting worse over the last few years and I don't see the twins, or luongo getting better with time, and Kessler has a lot of mileage on him too with the injuries and his style of play.

I think they have to go all in and try win in the next 2 years if they think this core still can win a cup or else rebuild while their assets still have value in other peoples eyes. If they want a team that can get in the playoffs and sell a round or two worth of tickets every year without really committing to win it all right now or seriously building for the future then they should keep doing what they are doing.

Archived