The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat ripping it up with Team Canada; Shinkaruk gets cut

Kanucklehead10

Good to hear that Horvat is progressing exactly to his expectations. We've all heard this before, but Shinkaruk is still young haha. I think he has better potential ceiling than our past draftees, Schroeder, Gaunce, Jensen. But by no means do I see us stealing a Patrick Kane or Zach Parise out of this draft. He'll turn into a great 2nd line sniper and I'll be very happy with that.

This team and it's fans have been thirsty for a long time for an exciting rookie. Then we get two in one draft and it's hockey christmas everyday it seems :P

THough Horvat plays a bit of a 3rd wheel role on that line, its because he posseses the intangables to make up for the skilled studs lack of them. Horvat is a "completion" player. He IS one of those guys that makes everyone else better because he takes care of the little things. WHats beautiful about him is that he still has the skill set to be able to play with these types of players, while his main objective is still to be the "glue" guy. Again the comparisons to Bergeron and Richards appear to be bang on.

Real nice lazer of a wrister on display yesterday, aswell as winning the faceoff and board battle to set up the tying goal.

I knew Shinkaruk wouldnt make the team. Multipul injuries have led to an inconsistent start. And given that its been a slow start, the fact that he still got the call ahead of guys like Domi says alot about what Hockey Canada thinks of him. Shink was there to play in a scoring role, and Mantha out scored him in their showcase battle. And to be honest, Mantha is having a far more successfull year in the Q, and has also been healthy. I think Sutter made the right choice here. Theres no reason to hate on Shinkaruk. THe kids got serious talent and he will still be a productive pro.

IMO it won't hurt Shinkaruk at all if he spent a year in the AHL after junior. It will make him a better player in the long run and there should not be many doubts about his potential when he does come up. We can all see what has plagued Kassian. Rushing a player in his development is worse than not having him as a real asset to the team a year or two down the line. We have to remember he is not the biggest player in the world and he has to learn to play with much bigger players and he can get that experience in the AHL. He has lots of time and there is no rush.

it\s more likely he'll spend 2-3 in Utica

Shinks should take this as a way to motivate himself. The nagging injuries hasn't helped. It makes me worried when a player is not motivated to improve if they get cut from a team.

It was totally obvious to me that Hunter is still missing a step with that hip injury. He needs to be faster than most other players to be effective and he just isn't right now. He had a much faster first three steps at Canucks camp and he was faster once he got going too.

He may not have made the team anyway but I agree with him not making it in his current condition.

Shinkaruk dealing with shoulder/hip issues if I recall. Not surprised he got cut. He needs to heal up instead of kill himself for a spot on the WJC

Also, if there is a trade this year that gets us Reinhart or Ekblad it needs to be made. Alternatively, if there is a trade this year that gets us a shot at McDavid next year, it needs to be made tommorrow

Get your head out of the cloud kiddo.

If we had a top 2 pick there's no way in hell that it would be traded. That goes for every team in the league, keep living in dream land though champ.

Archived