The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unwritten rules of attending a hockey game (Article)

Tom Sestito

http://thehockeywriters.com/video-20-unwritten-rules-follow-attending-nhl-game/

-Only wear a jersey if that team is actually playing: If, for example, the Flyers are playing the Penguins, it would be considered a jersey foul to wear your Detroit Red Wings jersey to the game. People will give you odd looks, and wonder why you’re wearing it. But, it is completely okay to wear the jersey of another team if it is of a person playing in that game. For example, I’ve seen people were a Claude Giroux Gatineau Olympiques jersey, Giroux’s junior team in the QMJHL.

-Most jerseys of past players are acceptable: For most past players, it's okay to wear their jersey. Popular players, obscure players, or fan favorites are all okay. But if a guy was a total draft bust, left on bad terms, or was a huge disappointment, it's generally frowned upon. If you’re considering wearing your Petr Nedved or Paul Coffey Flyers jersey to the game, you might want to think twice and upgrade to a new one.

-Wait for a stoppage to leave/go to your seat: You can block the view of nearly an entire section if you leave your seat while play is going on. You have to shuffle through your row to get to the aisle, and it is considered rude. If someone is entering/leaving your row, stand up so they can walk by easier. Most arenas do not allow you to go down to your seat until a stoppage anyway.

-Do not yell “SHOOT!”: You do not see the angles that the player is seeing. The players know what they should do with the puck. They get paid millions of dollars to know.

-Talk about the game if you know what you’re talking about: Analyzing the play on the ice is one of the biggest benefits of seeing a game in person. You see the entire ice, instead of what the TV camera wants you to see. It’s one of the things I enjoy most about going to games with my dad. But if you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t try to pretend you do, because people around you will know. Some of my favorites are a guy who pronounced Mike Knuble’s last name “Newble”, and a man who claimed Jaromir Jagr signed with the Kings this offseason.

There's some of the twenty.

Also, can people frack off with the 'shoot' chants? It's probably the most irritating thing. I feel as if 8/10 times when a player shoots when the crowd is saying shoot, the shot gets blocked and nothing comes of it.

I would add do not bang on the glass like a jackarse. It's loud, annoying, and pointless. You want to be a part of the game, try cheering!

I think that was on the extended list, not in OP but in the link.

The only one I disagreed with was throwing your hat, don't think everyone actually does it, more of an optional thing.

I think that was on the extended list, not in OP but in the link.

The only one I disagreed with was throwing your hat, don't think everyone actually does it, more of an optional thing.

Oh, good. (I didn't bother to read the entire story.) Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds that annoying.

http://thehockeywrit...nding-nhl-game/

-Only wear a jersey if that team is actually playing: If, for example, the Flyers are playing the Penguins, it would be considered a jersey foul to wear your Detroit Red Wings jersey to the game. People will give you odd looks, and wonder why you’re wearing it. But, it is completely okay to wear the jersey of another team if it is of a person playing in that game. For example, I’ve seen people were a Claude Giroux Gatineau Olympiques jersey, Giroux’s junior team in the QMJHL.

-Most jerseys of past players are acceptable: For most past players, it's okay to wear their jersey. Popular players, obscure players, or fan favorites are all okay. But if a guy was a total draft bust, left on bad terms, or was a huge disappointment, it's generally frowned upon. If you’re considering wearing your Petr Nedved or Paul Coffey Flyers jersey to the game, you might want to think twice and upgrade to a new one.

-Wait for a stoppage to leave/go to your seat: You can block the view of nearly an entire section if you leave your seat while play is going on. You have to shuffle through your row to get to the aisle, and it is considered rude. If someone is entering/leaving your row, stand up so they can walk by easier. Most arenas do not allow you to go down to your seat until a stoppage anyway.

-Do not yell “SHOOT!”: You do not see the angles that the player is seeing. The players know what they should do with the puck. They get paid millions of dollars to know.

-Talk about the game if you know what you’re talking about: Analyzing the play on the ice is one of the biggest benefits of seeing a game in person. You see the entire ice, instead of what the TV camera wants you to see. It’s one of the things I enjoy most about going to games with my dad. But if you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t try to pretend you do, because people around you will know. Some of my favorites are a guy who pronounced Mike Knuble’s last name “Newble”, and a man who claimed Jaromir Jagr signed with the Kings this offseason.

There's some of the twenty.

Also, can people frack off with the 'shoot' chants? It's probably the most irritating thing. I feel as if 8/10 times when a player shoots when the crowd is saying shoot, the shot gets blocked and nothing comes of it.

no player shoots because of the crowd. For the most part, during play, you can't hear anything other than whats happening on the ice.

Respect the National Anthem(s) and remove your hat: Have some respect for your country; stand and remove your hat for the National Anthem. This applies to the American and Canadian anthems. Both countries(US and Canada) have been guilty of booing each other’s anthem. It’s looked down upon in the hockey community, and should not be done under any circumstance. Some arenas remain silent during the anthem, others like Blackhawks fans like to cheer throughout the anthem. -

ding ding ding.

hate it when i've got a few idiots beside me during the anthem and they are talking throughout the whole thing.

I would add do not bang on the glass like a jackarse. It's loud, annoying, and pointless. You want to be a part of the game, try cheering!

Banging on the glass is loud, annoying, and pointless yet yelling wooo!, go team!, great hustle!, isn't also loud, annoying, and pointless? Do you actually believe you're attendance and cheers make the Canucks a better team? :bigblush:

Banging on the glass is loud, annoying, and pointless yet yelling wooo!, go team!, great hustle!, isn't also loud, annoying, and pointless? Do you actually believe you're attendance and cheers make the Canucks a better team? :bigblush:

Well, players have said they get energy from the crowd, so maybe the fans in attendance cheering can help. If not, at least it's fun everyone can join in together. Banging on the glass so people will look at you is selfish and pointless.

If you think fans cheering is annoying perhaps watching in absolute silence in your living room is the best option?

Well, players have said they get energy from the crowd, so maybe the fans in attendance cheering can help. If not, at least it's fun everyone can join in together. Banging on the glass so people will look at you is selfish and pointless.

If you think fans cheering is annoying perhaps watching in absolute silence in your living room is the best option?

Yeah that pretty much just comes off as standard BS that helps make the fans feel like they make a difference. I mean if you are going by results it says fan support means very little given the teams that had/have great attendance but still suck and teams the teams that don't get supported but still have great years and even cups. There are plenty of other things that motivate players far more than strangers making noise.

And I never said I had an issue with noise I was simply questioning your logic. Unless you believe the players can hear each individual in the stands why would any noise affect them differently? And as a fan when you sit in a stadium where numerous people are yelling as loud as they can is your true peeve really the super ultra mega annoying sound of flash smacking Plexiglas?It's silly. It's like walking onto a construction site and of all the noise you get mad because of how the drills sound.

Respect the National Anthem(s) and remove your hat: Have some respect for your country; stand and remove your hat for the National Anthem. This applies to the American and Canadian anthems. Both countries(US and Canada) have been guilty of booing each other’s anthem. It’s looked down upon in the hockey community, and should not be done under any circumstance. Some arenas remain silent during the anthem, others like Blackhawks fans like to cheer throughout the anthem. -

ding ding ding.

hate it when i've got a few idiots beside me during the anthem and they are talking throughout the whole thing.

It's a perfectly acceptable time to tell them to shut their worthless mouths

ding ding ding.

I turn my back on the anthems, spit, shake my head, and talk loudly. Hate anthems and everything about them.

Archived