The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Not even an AHL level skater?!

Any skating pros want to fill us in with an analysis of his skating issues?

This what Hockey's future.com had

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/dane_fox/

So, he isn't that slow, just has first step/acceleration issues? Not sure who to believe, but if Hockey's future is right, then it's fixable.

Just realized I'm talking to myself...

on the internet......

on Friday night..........

Chicks dig that?.................Right?

This what Hockey's future.com had

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/dane_fox/

So, he isn't that slow, just has first step/acceleration issues? Not sure who to believe, but if Hockey's future is right, then it's fixable.

Just realized I'm talking to myself...

on the internet......

on Friday night..........

Chicks dig that?.................Right?

... Weirdo.

In all seriousness, didn't Jim Benning say something to that effect? Damn... I can't remember where exactly, but I think he mentioned Fox needing to work on his stride, during an interview. I'll try to find it but it may just be the wrong player.

The first few steps are the most critical. The Sedin's aren't fast skaters, but they are explosive off the line. Dane's stride is clunky and he needs to get some tree trunk thighs to make up for it.

Not even an AHL level skater?!

Any skating pros want to fill us in with an analysis of his skating issues?

LOL seriously that's unfortunate that his skating isn't even at the AHL level :S

Hopefully he works on it a lot in the ECHL and works his way up.

There are lots of fast players in the AHL, size or skill keep them from being NHL players.

I think it might be his overall skating, backwards covering for D. men, quick stops and direction changes and maybe stability if his core is weak.

His highlight's don't look to slow, but that's junior.

His mechanics are pretty bad, really ugly choppy strides. Doesn't really generate much of any power whatsoever.

The bolded is likely a big part of the issue too. He didn't really start training or focusing on proper nutrition until we signed him. I'm sure if he continues power skating lesson and keeps working hard in the gym he'll be able to correct these things over time. He's definitely a long term project player.

Overager.

Yeah people should not be surprised he is starting out in the ECHL.

There were plenty of overagers who blew up goals/points wise at 20 in all three leagues of the CHL and went on to accomplish nothing.

Keep in mind at 20, they are competing against kids up to 4 full years younger then them. At that age, 4 years is a HUGE difference.

There were plenty of overagers who blew up goals/points wise at 20 in all three leagues of the CHL and went on to accomplish nothing.

Keep in mind at 20, they are competing against kids up to 4 full years younger then them. At that age, 4 years is a HUGE difference.

haha yeah. Think of it this way: A 2nd year university student vs a grade 10/11 student.

Remember when Gillis was talking like he was going to be in the Canuck lineup this season?

Remember when Benning pushed that Seguin trade in Boston?

Remember the Kessel trade?

BOS is not afraid to trade star players if they don't fit their team identity. Look at where TOR is now with Kessel. DAL has Benn as their leader, and maybe Seguin's smartened up. He's a great player, but the trade looks really lopsided because BOS took Eriksson and he's been concussed so much last year.

It might have been better for them if they had made a trade for draft picks again, but at least they got Reilly Smith out of it as well who fits their team much better than Seguin does.

I think the point is Benning comes from a management group that is not afraid to make bold moves if they think any player does not fit with the team philosophy they've built. It's about the team and not the individual.

With Boston, you saw it twice with the trade of Phil Kessel and most recently with the trade of Tyler Seguin. After trading Kessel, they won the Cup in 2011 with Seguin contributing. After trading Seguin, they won the President's Trophy with Reilly Smith contributing with the main piece Eriksson injured most of the time, and they are still a contender.

They have a team philosophy and if the player does not buy in, they don't blink an eye - they move them right away and move on. I don't know about you, but I like that. We saw how long it took for Gillis to end the Luongo saga (Gillis made it a saga by dragging it on for so long) and how quick and swift Benning was in making the Kesler trade.

EDIT: got carried away so much with this, but back to Fox.

I hope Fox works on trains the right way (eating + working out) and work on his skating a lot. With Jensen knocking on the NHL door, there will be room in the AHL sooner than later. When the opportunity comes and his skating and conditioning is still not at the AHL level, I'll be pretty disappointed.

Archived