The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Remember when Benning pushed that Seguin trade in Boston?

We only saw that episode of Behind the B. I also noticed nobody jumped up in Seguins defence either. Just because Benning was asking questions on keeping him. There might have been other incidents that had cropped up we weren't privy to. In the end Benning was one of many that didn't seem to be too impressed.

I don't recall anyone on here trying to claim that Fox was 'bonafide'. People were excited to see him lighting it up in the OHL, but I don't think anyone felt that it was a sign he'd step onto the big club right away.

I think the general expectation was that he would play for the Comets, and compete for "Call up" status. I think we expected he would score some goals in the AHL as well.

He basically skates like a referee would normally skate.

This is what I get for listening to the preseason on the radio,

Had no idea it was that bad.

Had Larchied been in the booth he would have pointed it out.

Hey Trev, I know you have people monitoring the board....Larchied please!!

We saw how long it took for Gillis to end the Luongo saga (Gillis made it a saga by dragging it on for so long) and how quick and swift Benning was in making the Kesler trade.

I agree with your post, but I wanted to respond to this because it was the only thing I wanted to expand on.

You're absolutely right in that Gillis took his sweet time with Luongo. However, that was largely due to the fact that Luongo did not want to go anywhere but Florida. I'm sure part of the reason Gillis took so much time was to see if he could wait out Luongo, expand his list further. Ultimately it didn't work, in large part because of what happened with the lockout and Luongo's salary.

As for Kesler, if the rumours hold any validity to them, there was a deal on the table that had Kesler gone; however, Aquilini's put a stop to it (again, all based on rumour).

I think we are all happy with how quick Benning was able to ship Kesler out, and for the return he received.

I agree with your post, but I wanted to respond to this because it was the only thing I wanted to expand on.

You're absolutely right in that Gillis took his sweet time with Luongo. However, that was largely due to the fact that Luongo did not want to go anywhere but Florida. I'm sure part of the reason Gillis took so much time was to see if he could wait out Luongo, expand his list further. Ultimately it didn't work, in large part because of what happened with the lockout and Luongo's salary.

As for Kesler, if the rumours hold any validity to them, there was a deal on the table that had Kesler gone; however, Aquilini's put a stop to it (again, all based on rumour).

I think we are all happy with how quick Benning was able to ship Kesler out, and for the return he received.

I hope someday, (15 years?) Someone is comfortable enough to write a credible book which tells us exactly what happened with that whole thing, until then we will never really know.

As for that Kes rumor, I believe I started it, having been allowed to hear a conversation I couldn't believe I was privy to. I wasn't the only one there either so I assumed the quote was making it's rounds through other sources as well. People seemed angry when I posted it (e.g., "B.S!..Source?!?! Liar!") I doubt I'll find myself in a similar situation again, but if I do, I'll defer to the following principal.

If it didn't happen on the internet it didn't happen!

I also posted it because I assumed if it was said in front of me and others not employed by the Ducks, then it wasn't confidential. Just so we're clear, If I thought I had overheard something meant to be confidential, I wouldn't even repeat it, let alone post it.

Kesler didn't want to go anywhere but Anaheim (and Chicago but everyone knew that was impossible because of the cap). Benning still got it done extremely fast and got a decent return.

But sure, maybe MG had a deal for Kesler at the deadline. Who knows.

It's the second time in a decade Boston has given up on a superstar center.

I don't know, I'm no GM but I just don't get it.

P.S Reilly Smith is not in Segins league, Neither is Eriksonn, neither are the two combined.

A superstar center plays well in the playoffs, so no..he ain't there yet. He's very lucky to have Benn as his winger as well.

We don't know the inside story on Seguin in Boston. It certainly seems that the move had a positive effect on his game.

Back to Fox. There will be some movement on the Canucks this year, which will free up space on the Comets. Fox needs to keep his focus and work on improving his weakness. He might get another chance before too long.

I think it says more about the team that is being iced in Utica than his potential. The Fox of this year may have made the Comets of last year, but with Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Kenins and Zalewski all making the team in their rookie year, Fox would have had to be outstanding to make the team. Hopefully he keeps concentrating on his skating, speed and conditioning, and is able to work his way up the pro ranks.

He's a long shot to ever make the NHL. Haven't really ever seen him play, but apparently he's not a good skater and isn't good defensively. It'd be awesome if he exceeded expectations and became a gem, but it's gonna be tough for him to even get past the AHL. The way I see it is, he's pretty much a free 7th round pick.

He's a long shot to ever make the NHL. Haven't really ever seen him play, but apparently he's not a good skater and isn't good defensively. It'd be awesome if he exceeded expectations and became a gem, but it's gonna be tough for him to even get past the AHL. The way I see it is, he's pretty much a free 7th round pick.

:lol:

Archived