The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Foxy now sits at 7 points in 5 games. Blomstrand also with 7 in 5, and Curtis Valk is leading the ECHL with 9 points.

Sounds like quick chemistry for that young group. All three seem too talented to play in that league for long.

That said, the Comets seemed stacked at the moment. Can we have two AHL teams?

Foxy now sits at 7 points in 5 games. Blomstrand also with 7 in 5, and Curtis Valk is leading the ECHL with 9 points.

Sounds like quick chemistry for that young group. All three seem too talented to play in that league for long.

That said, the Comets seemed stacked at the moment. Can we have two AHL teams?

seems like with the wolves we didn't even have 1...

... Also has anyone notice that it seems the ECHL is the equivalent to the CHL, but for older players? if seems that very few players see a significant drop off in there PPG between the to.

Logically, one would think that since the best jr prospects go to the AHL (or more rarely the NHL) and the lower level jr players don't play pro at all, that the disparity in play in the ECHL will be lower. They'll be players who for the most part were good but not great in jr.-or if great had some deficiency that is keeping them out of the AHL (for example a player who was able to excel in jr despite having to work on his skating.)

It's easy to see that the the scoring effect you mention could happen for many players.

• 2 weeks later...

While I didn't expect him to light the pros on fire, I was expecting maybe a 30 point year in Utica.

When he got sent down to Kalamazoo I was disappointed, but after scoring 7 points in 5 games I regained optimism.

6 games in a row with 0 points, and only 3 goals in 11 games on the season. This does not bode well for him to get a callup this season, which is critical for him to have NHL potential. The ECHL is where dreams go to die.

While I didn't expect him to light the pros on fire, I was expecting maybe a 30 point year in Utica.

When he got sent down to Kalamazoo I was disappointed, but after scoring 7 points in 5 games I regained optimism.

6 games in a row with 0 points, and only 3 goals in 11 games on the season. This does not bode well for him to get a callup this season, which is critical for him to have NHL potential. The ECHL is where dreams go to die.

Does everyone here honestly think one sub par season, his first as a professional. will define his career? Lots of players have come through the ECHL and not necessarily lit it up, and have found success afterwards. Besides bringing up the obvious team choice in Bur. Archibald, Grenier both went through the ECHL and never lit it on fire. They could both still end up in the bottom 6. Same goes for Fox just has to take this time of struggle and learn and improve from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does everyone here honestly think one sub par season, his first as a professional. will define his career? Lots of players have come through the ECHL and not necessarily lit it up, and have found success afterwards. Besides bringing up the obvious team choice in Bur. Archibald, Grenier both went through the ECHL and never lit it on fire. They could both still end up in the bottom 6. Same goes for Fox just has to take this time of struggle and learn and improve from it.

You make that comparison to Burr like its somehow the rule rather than the exception. The vast majority of players in the ECHL never see time in the NHL. Doesn't mean its impossible, but the numbers say its highly unlikely.

All I see is what's in the points tracker, nobody has actually posted a game by game analysis in a while

By the looks of it, Fox is probably playing with some form of an injury. Started the season like a house on fire, and has been unproductive for the past 10+ games. IMO, players don't all of sudden disappear like that in games unless they are battling some kind of an unreported ailment.

Fox is touted to be a Dave Bolland-type third liner in the NHL, so his lack of offensive production shouldn't be too big a deal. If he can develop the attributes needed to be a third/fourth line center in the NHL while he's down on the farm, I think that will serve him much better than lighting it up offensively. The kid's got some natural offensive gifts (i.e., pro level shot), so I'm sure if given the opportunity, he'll be able to cash in at times.

I don't have high hopes for Fox, mainly because the Canucks are deep down the center (I would peg him behind Gaunce, McCann and Cassels on the prospect depth chart). If Fox has any real chance of one day making it to the show (with the Canucks), it'll probably be on the wing...he's listed as a "Forward" on the 'zoos roster, so maybe the Canucks have asked the Wings to look at him at different forward positions.

I knew Dane Fox wasn't going to be some legit top-6 sniper in the NHL, or even point per game in the AHL either. But I'm not going to say that I knew Fox was going to be struggling in the ECHL either because that'd make me a liar.

I honestly thought he'd post a 0.4 PPG clip at the AHL level at least and then make the team as a bottom six forward and a couple years or so, but now I'm not even sure.

That's not to say that he won't make the big show in any capacity, but things definitely don't look good for Dane right now. Here's to hoping he can still be that "diamond in the rough" we were hoping he'd be. He was a free pick-up so I'm not going to complain.

By the looks of it, Fox is probably playing with some form of an injury. Started the season like a house on fire, and has been unproductive for the past 10+ games. IMO, players don't all of sudden disappear like that in games unless they are battling some kind of an unreported ailment.

Fox is touted to be a Dave Bolland-type third liner in the NHL, so his lack of offensive production shouldn't be too big a deal. If he can develop the attributes needed to be a third/fourth line center in the NHL while he's down on the farm, I think that will serve him much better than lighting it up offensively. The kid's got some natural offensive gifts (i.e., pro level shot), so I'm sure if given the opportunity, he'll be able to cash in at times.

I don't have high hopes for Fox, mainly because the Canucks are deep down the center (I would peg him behind Gaunce, McCann and Cassels on the prospect depth chart). If Fox has any real chance of one day making it to the show (with the Canucks), it'll probably be on the wing...he's listed as a "Forward" on the 'zoos roster, so maybe the Canucks have asked the Wings to look at him at different forward positions.

I thought perhaps Valk had something to do with his hot start. Seemed awfully suspicious that he got cold around the same time Valk got called up. Just an observation, of course I could be wrong as I haven't watched a single game so if anyone has caught Fox in action down at the 'Zoo, perhaps you could shed some light on this?

From what I can see...he is playing..21 games..5 goals 4 assts. not exactly setting the league on fire but he is getting a lot of shots off and pretty high in PIMs...I thought he would be at least doing this in the AHL..would like to see him succeed but Im not holding my breath.

Valk is leading the Zoo in points and goals so he is on the right path for a call up to the Comets.

Archived