The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts = Best Canucks Coach Ever

bohonos76

and when the Canucks miss the playoffs he's the worst right?

If we miss the playoffs it's not because of Torts, you can't make a ferrari out of a corvette... No one is that good... We have a really good team but still not in the top 5 in the league. Let's not get ahead of ourselves as previous posters have said.

Perception is so funny. The team is playing almost identical in every statistical category as they did last year. They still aren't scoring and the D and goal-tending are still solid. Last year people were very frustrated but this year everyone seems content. The team is in the same position in the standings this year give or take a spot or two. I'd say injuries were just as bad if not worse last year.

Why so much respect for Torts? Who sits if they don't play well? The guys that are easy to sit. Same as with AV. The big time players don't sit. In fact they play more now than they did last season and for a lot of them production is down.

And any coach who throws out the same PP night after night with no success shouldn't be getting heaps of praise. Loading up for a Garrsion bomb was what everyone wanted from AV last year but it does not work! Stop it. In a fair amount more of PP time this year he has 3 goals, same amount as he had in 48 games last year. And historically he isn't the greatest PP coach. AV, the terrible coach everyone thinks he is has the Rangers way up in PP% this year. Better on the PK too.

Once the team noticeably improves people can start anointing JT. Until then just relax and enjoy the games.

Perception is so funny. The team is playing almost identical in every statistical category as they did last year. They still aren't scoring and the D and goal-tending are still solid. Last year people were very frustrated but this year everyone seems content. The team is in the same position in the standings this year give or take a spot or two. I'd say injuries were just as bad if not worse last year.

Why so much respect for Torts? Who sits if they don't play well? The guys that are easy to sit. Same as with AV. The big time players don't sit. In fact they play more now than they did last season and for a lot of them production is down.

And any coach who throws out the same PP night after night with no success shouldn't be getting heaps of praise. Loading up for a Garrsion bomb was what everyone wanted from AV last year but it does not work! Stop it. In a fair amount more of PP time this year he has 3 goals, same amount as he had in 48 games last year. And historically he isn't the greatest PP coach. AV, the terrible coach everyone thinks he is has the Rangers way up in PP% this year. Better on the PK too.

Once the team noticeably improves people can start anointing JT. Until then just relax and enjoy the games.

It's the way they are playing that people are praising Torts. He has the team playing well, despite being in a much tougher division and conference. The team is giving 60-minute efforts more frequently under Torts than AV.

Yeah, stats are identical. Yet look at the bloody competition we are facing. We don't have the luxury of beating up on a weak NW division anymore, yet we are still keeping pace.

Oh, and we have the best PK in the league. How do you figure AV has the rangers playing better on the PK?

It's the way they are playing that people are praising Torts. He has the team playing well, despite being in a much tougher division and conference. The team is giving 60-minute efforts more frequently under Torts than AV.

Yeah, stats are identical. Yet look at the bloody completion we are facing. We don't have the luxury of beating up on a weak NW division anymore, yet we are still keeping pace.

Oh, and we have the best PK in the league. How do you figure AV has the rangers playing better on the PK?

Rangers are 85% this year on the PK. Up from 81% last season. Their PP is miles better this year than last year. I'm talking about for their current teams.

And you talk about the schedule. The Canucks have 9 wins I believe against teams that are currently in the playoffs and half of those are from the east. So that means out of their 23 wins they have 5 wins against western conference teams in the playoff picture right now. In their 10-2-2 stretch 4 of those wins are against playoff teams. In their defence only 2 of the losses came against playoff teams so they did mostly beat who they played. 4-1-1 against playoff teams. All of this with the "best coach in franchise history".

I get that people like how the team is playing. Not sure how defensive hockey is exciting. I actually liked the more wide open, puck possession styles of a few years ago but that's OK.

I still argue that it is perception. People wanted a change. They got the change. Nothing has really changed but because it has changed it seems better.

It's way early to say anyone is the best coach in anything and the reality is that in a few years this board will likely passionately hate Tortorella as much as they do AV right now. And in a few years we will all come around on both of them.

It's way early to say anyone is the best coach in anything and the reality is that in a few years this board will likely passionately hate Tortorella as much as they do AV right now. And in a few years we will all come around on both of them.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

People seem to forget that everyone was thinking the same thing about Vigneault when he first arrived in Vancouver. He had no offense, so he turned the Canucks into a solid, defense first team and it worked very well. A team nobody expected to make the playoffs did so.

Now, after the team had failed to win the final game of the season in 2011 after dominating in every statistical category, people look back on those years and refuse to give him credit for doing a great job.

Unless Torts can bring us a Cup, (something that I'd call a long shot at this point) the short sighted fan base of the Canucks will be doing the same thing with him when his expiry date rolls around.

Yeah, stats are identical. Yet look at the bloody completion we are facing. We don't have the luxury of beating up on a weak NW division anymore, yet we are still keeping pace.

This sums it up nicely.

If you noticed during the timeout he called last night, he's extremely involved...really used the time to communicate with the guys but was also encouraging at the end with a clap and "c'mon, let's go". Even when he rips into them, he ends on a positive with a let's do this. As was stated in the commentary, he really seems to know the team and what needs to be said/addressed.

We'll see what develops and how they respond...so far, it seems a positive thing but we're into a tough stretch.

Don't discredit what AV did here...although things had run their course and gotten stale, he was a great coach until the valley that followed the playoff peak.

It's FAR too early to make long term, definitive statements. He hasn't even been here a full season, not enough time to assess beyond "it appears to be working".

If we miss the playoffs it's not because of Torts, you can't make a ferrari out of a corvette... No one is that good... We have a really good team but still not in the top 5 in the league. Let's not get ahead of ourselves as previous posters have said.

Funny cause I remember a few years ago when Ferrari went head to head with Corvette same driver same tests and Corvette destroyed the Ferrari.

The first impression, you'd think he's over-the-top with emotional outbursts, & sheer intensity. Then you listen to his pressers, & realize he doesn't miss ONE LITTLE DETAIL. I can see how that might run out of steam(intense, thorough & DEMANDING) with a middling team, but it's precisely what this squad needed.

This, 100%

I thought the same when he was first mentioned.. My brother from New York stated the opposite to me, that he was just a demanding coach and stand up guy.. You can totally see how he could run out of steam with a group that isn't as committed as the Canucks.. You can tell that the high iq of the team bodes well for their understanding of where the coach is coming from and the always improve mentality helps too. A good time to be a Canucks fan!

I'm really enjoying watching torts coach as well, but I'm definitely not convinced he's the "be-all-end-all." I get that some of our depth players are on pace for career years, but if he can't get our power play and/or the sedins going, then it doesn't matter if Sestito has a career year or not.

Torts i fun to watch, I love the fire, his press conferences are pretty funny, and I feel like despite his curtness, he gives some really good responses from time to time.

The real gauge that coaches are measured by is wins though. And so far, he's doing "ok," but certainly not well enough to be considered better than AV....

Here's to hoping he does just that, and brings a cup to Vancouver!

I could not begin to hand any kind of "best ever" mention to Torts. He hasn't even completed the season yet. Hey, we once had a "best ever" coach by the name of Mike Keenan who has won awards galore and brought the cup to the Rangers after 40 years, uh oh against the Vancouver Canucks where in the last 1.6 seconds of game seven in a face off in the Rangers zone, Mark Messier and Craig MacTavish both cross checked Pavel Bure to assure the win, confident officials would not make the call. Then strangely the Canucks end up with both Iron Mike, who suffers pain when he smiles, and the hemorrhoid that is known as Mark Messier who butted in and took over the captain position from Trevor Linden. Those were strange days indeed. Let's also not forget the infamous Harry Neale who had three swings at the bat as head coach, like a bad penny that kept coming back.

Marc Crawford had to have some credit because he was part of the program that started building the current nucleus of the Canucks, but as a coach, he had this high pitched whine that just begged to be ignored by both players and officials on the ice. So he sucked the proverbial egg.

The reasons that Quinn and Neilson were great coaches is they were passionate about the game and not only motivated the players, but motivated the fans. Alain Vigneault had excellent rapport with the players but tended to work more through his assistant coaches. Vigneault is a great technician, but he just doesn't have the passion.

Torts certainly has the passion, and I think he is taking it far too easily on the media here. He understands that Vancouver is a front page hockey city, and a city that tends to riot, so that might have him walking softly.

I actually wish he wouldn't. The lackies who write in the sports columns in Vancouver are about as hopeless as movie critics are. The radio guys aren't bad. Vancouver fans need the excitement, if Torts wants to let loose and freak out on the media, by all means, do it. The NHL and their rules are idiots anyway. They want to make money, they are in the sports entertainment business to make money, so screw censorship, let's hear the passion!

Then I might better judge John Tortorella because he will be talking directly to me through the media without the political corrrectness that has influeneced sports.

Best coach ever? Not even top 5 ! Get a grip on reality. Bringing Torts in is just a repeat of the Mike Keenan days. Somebody to yell and discipline the Sedins and any other slacker players. If he can get the Sedins to raise their game in the playoffs? /(no choking) then maybe give him some recognition. More likely they will choke in the playoffs and he will get mad and they will choke some more. Hopefully that doesn't happen....

Played for the Canucks in their first two seasons in the league.

10 years as Canucks GM and President.

Five years as Canucks coach.

Vancouver Canucks player,coach,GM,President.

Stanley cup finalist with Vancouver.

Hockey Hall of Fame Committee Member.

Quinn played near three times more games than Tootsie has coached here.

Quinn has coached seven times more regular season games than Tootsie has coached here.

Quinn has coached 60% more playoff games than Tootsie's entire regular season games record as a Canucks coach.

Stating that John Tortorella is the greatest Canucks coach after half of one season ignores the twelve years that Quinn played,coached and managed the Canucks.

Jesus, stop referring to him as Tootsie. Not only is it lame, its annoying as hell. Perhaps I will just refer to you as Knobgobbler from here on out.

we cant beat LA really we still have a pansy team they are not hitting they have to be the agressor rumour has it that LA likes banging the canucks really why is that untill we learn how to play against teams like that we are doomed again really sucky hockey ..as for the best coach not a chance things have not changed from last year!! Pat Quin earned his stripes in Vancouver end of statement..

I shut the tv off really poor game and for the world juniors same thing I shut tv off 10 min in to third I couldnt take it anymore.

Definitely was not the best hockey team to send to the world juniors.. they really played the pits all tournament were lucky to be

in the quarter finals they did not gel as a team just like the canucks anyways very disappointed with the hockey I have been watching this season.

Best coach ever? Not even top 5 ! Get a grip on reality. Bringing Torts in is just a repeat of the Mike Keenan days. Somebody to yell and discipline the Sedins and any other slacker players. If he can get the Sedins to raise their game in the playoffs? /(no choking) then maybe give him some recognition. More likely they will choke in the playoffs and he will get mad and they will choke some more. Hopefully that doesn't happen....

I have to agree with u our team against the teams that want to hit us every two seconds know how to beat us but we need players that want to do the same thing to the other team we lost last night due to the fact the only player that hit was sessito one player

will that cut it no it wont another loser year in the making Torts has not done anything different than years past....

Archived