The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts = Best Canucks Coach Ever

bohonos76

While I am super disappointed to hear that he had no contact with Green, I still believe that 1 & done looks somewhat classless on the organization and COULD send potential warning signs out to other coaches that if they miss the playoffs / players struggle under them etc.

I think even in Tortorellas case it should have been a situation where they outline stuff they need him to do based on what they heard from the players / others in the organization etc and give him a chance to redeem himself. I also think he should have had a mulligan as the west truly is a different animal than the east in regards to coaching, practicing etc.

I know people harp on this guy but he has been decent in the playoffs throughout his career (last year rangers 2nd round & before that rangers were in the ECF I believe).

People forget the Sedins were the ones that wanted to do defensive hockey / play on the PK etc to show that they aren't one dimensional it wasn't all tortorella. When injuries ravaged the lineup he was handcuffed with what he could and couldn't do.

Regardless its done now but as a fan, the message I feel I have been sent is the team thinks as it stands its good enough to make the playoffs and if it doesn't who will be to blame next year? the new set of coaches? the players?

He apparently had no communications with Travis green. Which is a shocker. A.v was always talking too the farm coach too see how e prospects were doing.

Why did we have one if the worst power plays?

He never coached it or had power play drills.

He once got into an argument with David booth.

Booth was 5 minutes early for he team meeting. Torts didn't see him thought he was late booth defended himself the argument went on.

Trevor linden did the right thing firing this clown.

Torts made it very clear he wanted nothing to do with the player transaction side of it and wanted to focus 100% on coaching the players he was given.

Given this arrangement, it was the GM's job along with his staff to deal with the farm coach. You have dozens of staff working in the player development/ player management/ scouting department....are they supposed to sit on their arse all day and then run to the media and complain the coach didnt do their job? I guess they are.

As for Booth, hahahahahahahaha

Torts made it very clear he wanted nothing to do with the player transaction side of it and wanted to focus 100% on coaching the players he was given.

Given this arrangement, it was the GM's job along with his staff to deal with the farm coach. You have dozens of staff working in the player development/ player management/ scouting department....are they supposed to sit on their arse all day and then run to the media and complain the coach didnt do their job? I guess they are.

I think this is a bit of a cop out.

For someone who wanted the GM to look after call-ups, demotions etc., he did a lot of complaining about the players he was provided with. As a coach who complained that his 4th line players weren't good enough to be given significant ice time, you'd think he'd be paying a lot more attention to what was going on in Utica so he could perhaps request a player he thought more suitable.

Instead, he preferred to stay out of the conversation between Gillis and Green and then later complain publicly about his bottom six. Not a strong endorsement, IMHO.

Lock this.

No more need for the piling on...or beating of a dead horse. Dude was arguably the worst coach this team ever had. He may even know it. Let him fade away. The organization has turned that page in their history now. Let's finally close the book on Torts. We can start a new thread of comparisons.... if he ever emerges in a coaching situation, again. But - I think his pit-stop in VAN...or Point Roberts...was his NHL swan song.

Worst coach ever.

Agree. You get a guy like Trotz and teams are almost fighting over him.

Torts......you don't hear many stories about coachless teams dying to get him.

In fact out of all the teams that fired their coach this summer, I haven't heard any gave an interview to torts.

I totally disagree with this. Every good coach to some extent just some communication with the other coach, such as how is XXX player doing? Who do you think is the closes to the NHL etc etc.

Well my guess is Torterella is the one that is canned. No video reviews? How the hell do you prepare your team to face off against the other team? Torterella... what a terrible goof.

I thank Tortorella for his hard work and dedication in making this franchise better. He got Gillis fired, helped put an end to goaltending fiascos for the next five years, tanked the team in order to draft high and possibly get higher, and got Kesler and Edler to perhaps submit their list of desirable destinations.

That is a dedicated man.

He must be feeling a bit stupid right about now lol. As soon as he leaves the Rangers they shoot up in the standings from bottom feeders to cup contenders. And as soon as he joins the Canucks they plummet to the bottom of the standings, have their worst year in franchise history and miss the play-offs altogether. Maybe he should rethink his approach a little.

Archived