The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts = Best Canucks Coach Ever

bohonos76

maybe tort is your fav coach, but he's not the best canucks coach of all time after 40 games with the club... That's just absurd.

also find it hilarious that the op didn't even mention AV when he talk about other coaches we had. AV maybe dull in his last 2 seasons with the club, but he's probably one of the best coach the club ever had. Just because he reached his time with the club and need a new scenario for a change, it doesn't mean you can magically erase all his contribution to the team and city.

If Torts was fired tomorrow he would still be the third best coach in our history.

1) Pat Quinn

2) AV

3) Torts

4) Crawford

If he can get the Canucks to the western conference finals I put him ahead of AV.

I don't see how Torts is better than Crawford. Crawford took this team from the bottom of the basement and made them a contender, without a starting goalie.

crow took a sucky team and made them competitive, but not a contender

Idk man, I remember when Ottawa came to town and the media outlets around the country made a big deal, saying that this was a preview of the Cup Finals and whatnot.

You know you're a contender, when Nick Kyperos shows up in Vancouver and does a segment about it.

Played for the Canucks in their first two seasons in the league.

10 years as Canucks GM and President.

Five years as Canucks coach.

Vancouver Canucks player,coach,GM,President.

Stanley cup finalist with Vancouver.

Hockey Hall of Fame Committee Member.

Quinn played near three times more games than Tootsie has coached here.

Quinn has coached seven times more regular season games than Tootsie has coached here.

Quinn has coached 60% more playoff games than Tootsie's entire regular season games record as a Canucks coach.

Stating that John Tortorella is the greatest Canucks coach after half of one season ignores the twelve years that Quinn played,coached and managed the Canucks.

tumblr_mmpig9wzEm1r41emlo1_500.gif

The first impression, you'd think he's over-the-top with emotional outbursts, & sheer intensity. Then you listen to his pressers, & realize he doesn't miss ONE LITTLE DETAIL. I can see how that might run out of steam(intense, thorough & DEMANDING) with a middling team, but it's precisely what this squad needed.

He's a great coach, and what we need now, but if he lasts 4 years in this job that will be a long time. Yes, he appears to have mellowed some, but sooner or later we're going to see the classic Torts of old, and once that toothpaste is out of the tube, it's hard to get it back in again. He's here to do a job, and won't have the same shelf-life that Quinn, Crawford or AV did. Maybe he gets us a cup, but he won't be breaking a lot of franchise records. I'm totally okay with that.

Roger Nielsen and the everything up until the last 2 years of AV's Tenure make them the best.

Pat Quinn often gets thrown into this category but that's really just a nostalgic vote. Like Nuck Nit pointed out he was a canuck for so long in so many different roles. Quinn was a bit of a schyster really. He came back to the canucks under questionable circumstances, he completely botched up everything to do with Bure and then he couldn't get along with the new owners.

Torts has done very well but it's only half a season. The team is over performing based on what was being said in the pre season. He seems to be getting the most out of several players. Gonna need a few years under his belt before he's a serious part of this conversation though.

It all depends on how you see it I guess..

I took the topic up with a friend and he came up with "We've had 2 coaches reach game 7 of the stanley cup final. If he's the greatest canucks coach of all-time, even by the slightest margin, he should be able to win us a cup, no?"

I believe he probably IS the best at coaching skill-wise, and as long as we consistently reach the 2nd or 3rd round i think he's gonna stay. Can't really argue with statistics yet..

At this point in time its AV hands down. Like him or not (he was wearing a little thin on me at the end), he coached us to our only 2 Presidents trophy's and got us to a game 7. Nothing short of winning us the cup or all time wins for the franchise brings anyone else into the conversation. That being said, I love the way Torts has us playing our most intense regular season hockey that I have ever seen. Only misgiving I have so far is his style has our wingers playing so deep in our own end, which doesn't really suit most of our present wingers who were so suited to scoring off the rush.

He's definitely in the top 3....AV is not

I think his style really sums up the city of Vancouver actually...he's what this city needs and he'll openly rip on the negative/bull crap media. He doesn't take any crap and he doesn't play favorites, if you make a mistake, you sit and it's AWESOME!!

Archived