The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT van loses to queens

Cucumber

Moral victory, but yes the goals are going to be hard to come by vs a stingy LA Kings squad.

I agree with most people here. We need a goal scorer, and some more sand paper... not that they needed to play with more sand paper tonight, but sandpaper with more skill than the likes of Wiese and Sestito.

Kane for Booth, Hansen, Corrado, 1st

Ott for Schroeder, Rodin, 4th

sedin sedin burrows

higgins kesler kane

ott santorelli kassian

sestito richardson dalpe/weise

One more point, and again you guys might disagree but that's why they have these message boards in the first place.

Did anybody else notice that with all of the tough stuff happening tonight the names like Santorelli, Higgins, Hansen and Kesler (minus the fight) seemed to come up a lot less?

Now, in order to win games both in the regular season AND playoffs, I believe you have to score more goals than the other team. Typically (and correct me if I'm wrong here CDC) the names of Santorelli/Higgins/Hansen have been relied on to score more goals than the names of Weise/Sestito/Kassian.

If you guys are satisfied with a style of play night in and night out that makes Weise/Sestito/Kassian the major players and makes the secondary scoring players like Hansen/Santorelli/Higgins irrelevant, then again I'm not sure how well you expect this team to do.

Reading the post game quotes from the players and from Torts, sounds like everyone is really pumped about the effort in this game. They're really proud of the team and it's the first time they are showing some confidence in their abilities.

If this game becomes a rallying point for us, it's well worth the 2 points IMO

Reading the post game quotes from the players and from Torts, sounds like everyone is really pumped about the effort in this game. They're really proud of the team and it's the first time they are showing some confidence in their abilities.

If this game becomes a rallying point for us, it's well worth the 2 points IMO

If it becomes a rallying point, I'd agree. I'm just not so sure it will be. I don't think this was the right way to do it, in fact I think they could have done it and still won the game and that would have been even more of a rallying point.

All the people bitching tonight

1. Shutup

2. You know what, sometimes a coach says to his guys, show me how tough you are, I dont care if we win, but show me what you will accept, show me if you'll accept your goalie being run

3. For a team that has questioned itself, questioned its mental and physical toughness and just been plain unsure of itself, well tonight was a statement, it was a team building statement. Brother standing up for Brother and while I know they care they lost, inside each of those players minds tonight is FINALLY, FINALLY, the belief that the guy next to him, will go to the wall for him, his teaamates have his back...and no one will push this team around

if you dont realize what happened tonight folks and you are whining about 2 pts you dont get hockey

JOHN TORTARELLA is a genius...he just brought these boys together...

this will be the start of a run, mark my words

Great post.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Canucks came out like a team possessed for the first two periods, too bad they couldn't keep it up for one more though.

Terrible reffing doesn't help anything though, well, unless you're the LA Kings...

Even though they lost I'm still proud of the push back they showed, the bad reffing really took it's toll on them mentally I think.

How the hell does Weise get a penalty for goalie interference but Brown kicks Luongo in the head and gets away with it.

I try not to be one of those people who nag on the refs but HO-LY SH...

Just a quick question: How stoked where you when Torts came to the Canucks? :P

If it becomes a rallying point, I'd agree. I'm just not so sure it will be. I don't think this was the right way to do it, in fact I think they could have done it and still won the game and that would have been even more of a rallying point.

Thats truly the worst part.

La didn't deserve this game.

Who doesn't score on.a 7 min pp?

Carter flubs 2 surefire goals.

La went 20 some odd minutes without a shot on goal.

This was ours for the taking.

Also sadly my significant other might take issue with my clandestine forum man on the side.

Canucks came out like a team possessed for the first two periods, too bad they couldn't keep it up for one more though.

Terrible reffing doesn't help anything though, well, unless you're the LA Kings...

Even though they lost I'm still proud of the push back they showed, the bad reffing really took it's toll on them mentally I think.

Please believe me when I say I'm asking this in the nicest way:

Aside from missing Dale Weise slew-footing Doughty, where was the terrible reffing you refer to? Examples?

this style of play...the bonehead kassian play off the opening draw, the one sided fight...can swing a playoff series in the wrong direction. A quick 2 pp goals against and we are done

even with this style of play, we have no chance of winning in the playoffs. unfortunately we do not come close to competing with the classes of the west. and unfortunately, the road to the cup goes through California and Illinois

this style of play...the bonehead kassian play off the opening draw, the one sided fight...can swing a playoff series in the wrong direction. A quick 2 pp goals against and we are done

even with this style of play, we have no chance of winning in the playoffs. unfortunately we do not come close to competing with the classes of the west. and unfortunately, the road to the cup goes through California and Illinois

hey dufus was this the playoffs?

you think this didn't bring the team together a bit

you think they didnt just send a message to the league?

you didn't notice how few shots LA was getting and that the team that plays us dirty all the time was initimidated?

umm...it was called a statement game...you think torts didnt tell the boys someone go feed brown off the first faceoff?

this was the strategy, go play hard, in their face, and I dont care what happens, but goddamit man up

and they did....and now la knows if they try their crap they will be fed

intimidation matters, it gets in your head, it makes you less patient with the puck, it makes you avoid hits

that matters in the playoffs

Thats truly the worst part.

La didn't deserve this game.

Who doesn't score on.a 7 min pp?

Carter flubs 2 surefire goals.

La went 20 some odd minutes without a shot on goal.

This was ours for the taking.

Also sadly my significant other might take issue with my clandestine forum man on the side.

I agree again. The penalty kill was obviously great, and once that kill was over they were the better team when it came to making an attempt to win the game. This just makes me wonder even moreso what kind of offense they could have generated in the first 11 minutes had they not been shorthanded.

Also, significant other schmignificant schmother.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Please believe me when I say I'm asking this in the nicest way:

Aside from missing Dale Weise slew-footing Doughty, where was the terrible reffing you refer to? Examples?

The charging on Nolan missed, tons of hooking calls missed from both sides Kassian getting several 10min misconducts for what? and Nolan getting jack for straight up punching Kesler, a few interference calls missed from the Canucks.

Typical shoddy NHL reffing really.

All the people bitching tonight

1. Shutup

2. You know what, sometimes a coach says to his guys, show me how tough you are, I dont care if we win, but show me what you will accept, show me if you'll accept your goalie being run

3. For a team that has questioned itself, questioned its mental and physical toughness and just been plain unsure of itself, well tonight was a statement, it was a team building statement. Brother standing up for Brother and while I know they care they lost, inside each of those players minds tonight is FINALLY, FINALLY, the belief that the guy next to him, will go to the wall for him, his teaamates have his back...and no one will push this team around

if you dont realize what happened tonight folks and you are whining about 2 pts you dont get hockey

JOHN TORTARELLA is a genius...he just brought these boys together...

this will be the start of a run, mark my words

You clearly have never played hockey, since all I've ever heard from coaches playing 20 years of hockey, is get the 2 points. Nor do I ever tell the team I coach to ever lose sight of the 2 points, Sure they've/I've preached push back, don't let them push you around. But the emphasize get the bloody 2 points, ESPECIALLY when it's a division game, ESPECIALLY when you're literally 2 points behind them in the standings, ESPECIALLY when they're a strong playoff team.

So they send a message, whoptee doo. They also send a message that they also can't sustain pressure and create good scoring opportunities playing this sort of style with teams who push with the push. In the playoffs what matters to you, the pushback or the win? Exactly.

If Kassian shoved Brown like Nolan shoved Kesler, he would have gotten a 10 minute misconduct for sure.

He could have been called for the charge on Hank too.

Yea, those crazy shoves. Causing dimes all over the place.

Also, you can't call a charge on a missed hit. I kind of see where you are coming from, but that's just a fact. As an example, I can't remember who it was now (I'm thinking Lupul?) but somebody missed a blatant elbow attempt on a Canuck player. If that makes contact he gets the book thrown at him but you can't call a penalty if he doesn't actually do anything to the guy.

Nice one on the edit. There were a lot of things going on in this game, but hooks and interfering plays were few and far between.

Good game.

Yeah we lost, but I loved that the team made their point by making it a tougher night on the Kings than they would have liked.

But it certainly was a reminder of what this team is and has been lacking...big bodies and more scoring.

Sure in a one game takes all we can hang with anybody, but to have to play a 7 game series against the Kings, Ducks, Blues...etc will once again take it's toll on the team. We just don't have enough big bodies to survive longer series in the playoffs against teams like this.

Bieksa, Kes and Kass all spent time in the box while the Kings lost Brown, Greene and Mitchell for parts of the game. Bad trade-off for us when we're losing our top players while they're losing depth guys to penalty trouble and again reinforces our need for a Steve Ott type of player...a player that can inflict some pain, but that we can also afford to lose to penalty trouble.

Archived