The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT van loses to queens

Cucumber

Not sure I like the optics of Hank deliberately wafting his arm at Brown's head (if he's suspended does that break the IronMan streak?) but Brown went down like he'd been shot with a harpoon. What a complete female cat that cheapshot artist is. He makes me sick.

check the date of the video dude lol

God, I hate LA. I f'n hate them with a passion.

Since I live in LA, I went to the game previous to yesterday's. I was going to go to yesterday's, because something was telling me it was going to be a good one, but I decided not to. I stayed home and I didn't even watch the game, because I just didn't want to deal with it. I mean, let's be honest, we've not won a single game against the Queens this season.

I'll be the first to admit I don't like fighting in hockey, but LA is on its way to securing a special place in a ring to get their faces smashed in.

This game seemed to be an experiment, though. As if they went out to practice fighting to the extreme. This is obviously Torts's doing. Personally, I feel like he is training them to be able to slip into this mindset so they can step into it or out of it comfortably at any given moment. The team needs to be dynamic and respond/react to what their opponents are doing. If Team X is closing in on the Sedins, it's time to get physical so they can get more room to work their magic. I know we've heard it before, but it is a process. But at least Torts might come in with a different perspective and approach. It looks promising.

I think this game was just one component of a more dynamic team that is slowly taking shape.

I don't think they will now seek to 'out-goon' the other team, but implement different strategies and make adjustments/change their gameplay as necessary in a single game. And this was just an exercise.

Anyway, I'm happy our Canucks kicked ass!

Just my thoughts/opinion.

Inferiority complex?

Thats rich after what you just posted.

This is not a team of strangers they've known each other for years so the bigger question torts should be asking is why does it take a physical beatdown of a team to say "they came together as a team"

-they have come through alot worse and seem to have forgotten that.

People are really underestimating the damage AV did to this team. He had our tough players afraid to take retaliation penalties due to his "make them pay on the PP" strategy. Torts is finally getting through to the team that AV's style is simply not the way to win in the playoffs.

God, I hate LA. I f'n hate them with a passion.

Since I live in LA, I went to the game previous to yesterday's. I was going to go to yesterday's, because something was telling me it was going to be a good one, but I decided not to. I stayed home and I didn't even watch the game, because I just didn't want to deal with it. I mean, let's be honest, we've not won a single game against the Queens this season.

I'll be the first to admit I don't like fighting in hockey, but LA is on its way to securing a special place in a ring to get their faces smashed in.

This game seemed to be an experiment, though. As if they went out to practice fighting to the extreme. This is obviously Torts's doing. Personally, I feel like he is training them to be able to slip into this mindset so they can step into it or out of it comfortably at any given moment. The team needs to be dynamic and respond/react to what their opponents are doing. If Team X is closing in on the Sedins, it's time to get physical so they can get more room to work their magic. I know we've heard it before, but it is a process. But at least Torts might come in with a different perspective and approach. It looks promising.

I think this game was just one component of a more dynamic team that is slowly taking shape.

I don't think they will now seek to 'out-goon' the other team, but implement different strategies and make adjustments/change their gameplay as necessary in a single game. And this was just an exercise.

Anyway, I'm happy our Canucks kicked ass!

Just my thoughts/opinion.

Exactly...

While I have stated many saying we didn't get the two points etc don't get it...you do...

Torts did this for a number of reasons

1. Response and team toughness. They did not respond when Lou got run and needed to send LA and the rest of the league a message, that crap will no longer go unanswered

2. Team building. Players will play bigger when they know someone has their back. Have you ever seen the twins throwing as many hits? yes we don't need them doing it but its a mindset, I am not scared, and I will not be intimidated, and I will intimidate

3. As you suggested, this was ALL about changing the mindset of this team from reactionary and patient to instigator and impatient, take the ice, take the areas and put fear into others that if they go there they will get hit. Even Bieksa said, the Kings players were asking on the ice 'whats with you guys tonight' - ie why are you playing us so hard, we're not used to this and we don't like it...

4. Drill into this team that toughness is not about size. Its about team mentality, its about team toughness, its a mindset and sometimes it takes an extreme like last night to tell you, you are tougher than you think.

5. Sports is about emotion, intensity, intimidation. Torts means that when he talks about 'stiffness'. Stiffness isn't just playing hard on the boards, and blocking shots, its about teams hating to play against you because they know, I touch the puck someone is hunting me, i go to the net, i am getting hit. AV was a master tacticion who took emotion out of the game(don't take bad penalties because of a bad hit etc). Torts has said the opposite, hit em back...he gets it, he gets that emotion allows you to find a way to raise your game, you feed off the anger and intensity...he wanted the boys to see that, to use it, to allow it out...and boy did we see it come out...and what happened, the boys played bigger, i ask all those complaining about 2 points...what, what has been our problem in the last 2 years in the playoffs? Size sure, but how about making up for it by PLAYING BIGGER....that's what last night was about

As I said right after the game Torts is a coaching genius...he just drilled into these players, well showed them to how to drill it into themselves, that they indeed can be an annoyingly tough team to play against.

Never give a starving man a fish, give him a fishing rod and teach him to fish for himself...that's what Torts just did. The boys will not play like this every game but they know now, they are tough enough to respond, he shocked the AV complacency from them and I can tell you this.

Any team that meets these boys in the playoffs, win or lose, will not get an easy round this year...and last night just set the tone

Exactly...

While I have stated many saying we didn't get the two points etc don't get it...you do...

Torts did this for a number of reasons

1. Response and team toughness. They did not respond when Lou got run and needed to send LA and the rest of the league a message, that crap will no longer go unanswered

2. Team building. Players will play bigger when they know someone has their back. Have you ever seen the twins throwing as many hits? yes we don't need them doing it but its a mindset, I am not scared, and I will not be intimidated, and I will intimidate

3. As you suggested, this was ALL about changing the mindset of this team from reactionary and patient to instigator and impatient, take the ice, take the areas and put fear into others that if they go there they will get hit. Even Bieksa said, the Kings players were asking on the ice 'whats with you guys tonight' - ie why are you playing us so hard, we're not used to this and we don't like it...

4. Drill into this team that toughness is not about size. Its about team mentality, its about team toughness, its a mindset and sometimes it takes an extreme like last night to tell you, you are tougher than you think.

5. Sports is about emotion, intensity, intimidation. Torts means that when he talks about 'stiffness'. Stiffness isn't just playing hard on the boards, and blocking shots, its about teams hating to play against you because they know, I touch the puck someone is hunting me, i go to the net, i am getting hit. AV was a master tacticion who took emotion out of the game(don't take bad penalties because of a bad hit etc). Torts has said the opposite, hit em back...he gets it, he gets that emotion allows you to find a way to raise your game, you feed off the anger and intensity...he wanted the boys to see that, to use it, to allow it out...and boy did we see it come out...and what happened, the boys played bigger, i ask all those complaining about 2 points...what, what has been our problem in the last 2 years in the playoffs? Size sure, but how about making up for it by PLAYING BIGGER....that's what last night was about

As I said right after the game Torts is a coaching genius...he just drilled into these players, well showed them to how to drill it into themselves, that they indeed can be an annoyingly tough team to play against.

Never give a starving man a fish, give him a fishing rod and teach him to fish for himself...that's what Torts just did. The boys will not play like this every game but they know now, they are tough enough to respond, he shocked the AV complacency from them and I can tell you this.

Any team that meets these boys in the playoffs, win or lose, will not get an easy round this year...and last night just set the tone

Ahh BS, you want to send the league a message, you do what Thornton did. All this did was lose us 2 points, and flex guns we don't have. I am sure rats like Nolan would be happy to exchange themselves for 7 minute power-plays after this. If anything this shows the league that we can indeed be rattled and will encourage it further in future games. Our problems continue, we cannot score, and we are an inconsistent team that forgets its identity all the time. This game was good for Canuck fans and the players who clearly wanted to take their minds off of hockey for the game.

Bottom line Kings are 4-0 vs the Canucks and came out with no major injuries. They will forget about us faster than last night's lay.

Ahh BS, you want to send the league a message, you do what Thornton did. All this did was lose us 2 points, and flex guns we don't have. I am sure rats like Nolan would be happy to exchange themselves for 7 minute power-plays after this. If anything this shows the league that we can indeed be rattled and will encourage it further in future games. Our problems continue, we cannot score, and we are an inconsistent team that forgets its identity all the time. This game was good for Canuck fans and the players who clearly wanted to take their minds off of hockey for the game.

Bottom line Kings are 4-0 vs the Canucks and came out with no major injuries. They will forget about us faster than last night's lay.

One game does not show the league anything. Like Torts said, this is about "us"/the team.

Plus, it can be argued that the point of increased physicality isn't doing major injury to the other team, it is breaking them down mentally and strategically. You are right that in the end, the Kings won and in the grand scheme of things, that's what counts. But if you listen to what Torts is saying and doing right now, this was more of an inward accomplishment. The team is focusing on itself right now, so they can later concentrate on winning. They're working out new strategies and scenarios and reactions.

What this game did show was what kind of team LA has. A cheap shotting team that won't answer the bell if called out. A team that wil get the benefit of referreing. A team that can dive and taunt and attack star players without refute..and were outted by Sestito and Tort's in that game.

What this game did show was what kind of team LA has. A cheap shotting team that won't answer the bell if called out. A team that wil get the benefit of referreing. A team that can dive and taunt and attack star players without refute..and were outted by Sestito and Tort's in that game.

Yeah they are Boston of the west. Would have loved to see Bieksa vs Brown.

Brenden Shanahan would really be dragging his feet if he suspended hank for the play seeing as it was a year ago.

check the date of the video dude lol

Bravo to you two most fearsome warriors - you both conveniently missed my post before yours that stated I missed the date. Best to check these things before making puffing yourselves up ;)

Doesn't matter if Kings will forget us. This was for us! This was the players showing themselves that they are capable of fighting fire with fire. This team was slowly packing it in, just like an old marriage. Often seemed more important to get of the ice without injuries, than trying to win games. As a previous poster stated 20 shots on goal was all Kings could muster...less than half of what they had last time they met. his team need to know it can play play off hockey or it will be a rerun of the last 2 years. 1 goal was all that settled it FFS.... Fancy us to do Kings next time they meet... And if Kings have forgotten by then, we will make them remember... Mind you don't think they'll forget this game...

Doesn't matter if Kings will forget us. This was for us! This was the players showing themselves that they are capable of fighting fire with fire. This team was slowly packing it in, just like an old marriage. Often seemed more important to get of the ice without injuries, than trying to win games. As a previous poster stated 20 shots on goal was all Kings could muster...less than half of what they had last time they met. his team need to know it can play play off hockey or it will be a rerun of the last 2 years. 1 goal was all that settled it FFS.... Fancy us to do Kings next time they meet... And if Kings have forgotten by then, we will make them remember... Mind you don't think they'll forget this game...

if they need to prove to themselves how "tough" they are, then they aren't really that tough.

if they need to prove to themselves how "tough" they are, then they aren't really that tough.

Don't get what you are saying? Do you prefere the 'old' nucks being beaten and cheapshots all over the ice with no pushback. I actually though they played a good tough game, definately better than than seen in a long time from them? They are not huge bullies physically but even the Sedins tried to push back. Did it put them off their game, maybe but its not like they normally fill the net when playing against tough teams. They are just as tough as the Kings, and the fact the refs trough Stetito out and Kassian got sent off stupidly saved a few of the Kings a proper beating.

Don't get what you are saying? Do you prefere the 'old' nucks being beaten and cheapshots all over the ice with no pushback. I actually though they played a good tough game, definately better than than seen in a long time from them? They are not huge bullies physically but even the Sedins tried to push back. Did it put them off their game, maybe but its not like they normally fill the net when playing against tough teams. They are just as tough as the Kings, and the fact the refs trough Stetito out and Kassian got sent off stupidly saved a few of the Kings a proper beating.

Everyone is acting like one game where they got a little owly means the identity of the team has changed......the players are the same and the identity of the team will stay the same......they are not tough, they d get pushed around and they will continue to get oushed around. If they were truly a rough, tough team they wouldn't have to prove it to themselves or anyone else because that's how they would play night in and night out. Canucks fans need to come to terms with the team MG has built

I'm glad they had some grit, for sure, but they lost the two points against a divisional team who they are in a tight playoff race with. Like it or not the Kings got them off their game and while the Canucks may have won a fight, they lost the battle, let's hope they don't lose the war.

Like it or not the Kings got them off their game and while the Canucks may have won a fight, they lost the battle, let's hope they don't lose the war.

So they were on their game the other times they met this season and lost? Canucks controlled the play in that game. Even on the PK they dominated. I am disappointed they lost the game as well. But I was impressed the way they controlled the ice in BOTH zones. IF it is all about the 2 points you may as well just watch the highlights!

So they were on their game the other times they met this season and lost? Canucks controlled the play in that game. Even on the PK they dominated. I am disappointed they lost the game as well. But I was impressed the way they controlled the ice in BOTH zones. IF it is all about the 2 points you may as well just watch the highlights!

how is it not about the two points? That's ridiculous.........it is always, always, always about the result. Sure, you can fool yourself and soothe yourself about the "process", but in the end it's the result that only matters. If it comes down to crunch time in April and the Canucks miss out on the playoffs by a couple of points, are you going to feel good that they had a "moral victory" in January? The only moral victories are the ones that the Canucks end up on the right side of the scoreboard

Hockey is an emotional passionate game. If you think there are no scores to settle...... why do you think the players all seemed so upbeat after the game? So if you were in that dressing room would you berate them for feeling that way? Would you take away the fact that they controlled the ice. Would you tell them to stop being so upbeat and they should be ashamed because they lost 2pts? Would you tell them that they suck at scoring.

I walk away from every game that we lose on an emotional low, until I analyze it and perhaps there are some positives to be taken out of it. That was the case for this game. On the negative side still remains lack of scoring. But for me that was not the highlight of this game.

Loved the message the Canucks gave the Kings in this game... take liberties with our guys, esp the stars, and you'll pay. Even if the cost is heavy, i.e. the loss, the message has to be sent. Too bad Sestito got 7 mins and a game for so little. I wish he had at least got to rag doll that weasel Nolan for that. That would really make Nolan think twice before he cheap shots our guys again.

Archived