The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] ducks won

Strombone1

It is not consistent across the league, that's completely false.

Some teams get away with more than others. And the Canucks get a zero tolerance deal from the refs. I'd rather see the players play and let the refs intervene ONLY if/when necessary. They're becoming too involved and letting emotion into their game.

Which is more fair comment than the conspiracy theory nonsense. The NHL is not competent enough to execute a secret conspiracy. Clearly the leagues management of officials is failing at a fairly high level and they need to fix it as it has already seriously eroded the reputation of the league as a legitimate professional sport.

Some teams get away with more than others. And the Canucks get a zero tolerance deal from the refs. I'd rather see the players play and let the refs intervene ONLY if/when necessary. They're becoming too involved and letting emotion into their game.

I would love to see you, or any of the multitude of people whining about the referees actually referee a hockey game. There is no sport more difficult to officiate than a hockey game.

I would love to see you, or any of the multitude of people whining about the referees actually referee a hockey game. There is no sport more difficult to officiate than a hockey game.

Part of that is because over the last few years they have made the rules far too complex and subject to interpretation ( obstructing the goalie for example - why not simple stay out if the crease rule??).

Part of that is because over the last few years they have made the rules far too complex and subject to interpretation ( obstructing the goalie for example - why not simple stay out if the crease rule??).

I agree with that, for the most part, but that is not a problem at the referee level, that is a problem at the league level. NHL referees are the best of the best, those who complain about it deserve to watch games with European refs

I agree with that, for the most part, but that is not a problem at the referee level, that is a problem at the league level. NHL referees are the best of the best, those who complain about it deserve to watch games with European refs

I've said that before - the refs are trying to follow what they are being directed to do but it is so messed up, contradictory, and subjective that it doesn't work. Think Robocop 2.

In a way the negative attention and the questionable officiating are a sign the Canucks are at least competitive. Better than being irrelevant, I suppose.

Sestito is a prime example. 1 game and he's called out for being a goon. Thanks for noticing. Prior to that they had no idea who he was. Now he's a talking point on TV because he's doing exactly what he was signed to do.

Hesitation to give VAN a PP is also somewhat influenced by reputation. Once upon a time the Canucks had a PP.... So refs took that away calling it game management.

Who knows maybe the crappy PP% in the regular season may yield more calls in the playoffs this time? Really, who knows? The NHL is like a country with laws in name only, with the boundaries of those laws open to interpretations based on how many beers you had before the game.

it will be interesting to see which team shows up tonight.

i guess after a 9-1 loss, the team doesnt even deserve a new gdt, jus this stinkin ol pgt! :towel:

nux win 3-1!

This team has too much pride to have another outing like last night. Who knows that the score will be but my money is on the Canucks working harder than they have all season.

So you've reffed an NHL game? Cool. And you call it whining, we call it discussing.

Just because the job is hard we shouldn't expect professionalism and consistency? No. If it's hard and that causes problems, don't do it. My job's hard, but I can't use that as an excuse to not do it well.

And "NHL referees are the best of the best". Says who? Auger retired amidst controversy, so that's in conflict.

While I agree that the refs had little or nothing to do with the Canucks ultimately losing last night, I too found the 7 minute 5 on 3 very strange. The first such I have seen in over 45 years in the game.

Interestingly enough, even some Duck fans thought the same. This is a quote from TSN:

"Ducks fan here. Those calls were farcical. I expected Anaheim to maybe get a 2min PP after each team was given penalties. I was surprised to see only Vancouver get penalized for scrum where both teams were at fault. I really don't like that the refs can give one-sided 5 minute majors for fighting (when the other player doesn't get a major) and still give an instigator penalty. Even an attempt to injure penalty only gets 5 minutes. Can you honestly say that the infractions committed by the Canucks players here were worse than an attempt to injure? No way. If the refs wanted to get the Canucks players out of the game just give them Misconducts. A 7 minute 5-on-3 is just farcical."

So you've reffed an NHL game? Cool. And you call it whining, we call it discussing.

Just because the job is hard we shouldn't expect professionalism and consistency? No. If it's hard and that causes problems, don't do it. My job's hard, but I can't use that as an excuse to not do it well.

And "NHL referees are the best of the best". Says who? Auger retired amidst controversy, so that's in conflict.

The first post said: "I would love to see you, or any of the multitude of people whining about the referees actually referee a hockey game", and your astute response is to mock the poster by suggesting that he said he reffed an NHL game? If you want to really discuss, then don't twist around what people write to make it sound like they are stupid, that is NOT discussing.

The term in statistics is called Confirmation Bias.

There isn't some grand conspiracy in the NHL.

However:

Some refs at an individual level are biased.

When an allegedly professional ref is clearly seen saying "that guy's being an a$$hole".

That is not professional, all it does is reveal his bias.

Devorski should be kept away from the Canucks for two seasons, at least, and out of the playoffs, over his over the top behavior from recent days.

Archived