The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Don't think we need another centre... we seem to keep trading for them and drafting them year after year and nothing seems to stick. We have Henrik and Kesler for the forseeable future at 1 and 2... why create more CoHo situations...

And I think we have enough two way guys. It's time for some pure offense. Why not go hard after someone like Marian Gaborik now and then try him out once his injury heals up. If he fits then we have the room to resign him.

ROR has played wing most of the season to great success and can play center... Such a terrible problem.....

2way player with good offensive instincts. Yup would be terrible to get that for our top6

Tutalledge of Kesler for him would be awesome, he is a younger Kesler with more offensive upside...

ROR Kesler Kassian would be a great second line.

200-202-214 lbs

Fast

I had the same questions I came to this conclusion

His value is at an all time high

Were we to get RoR we could qualify him and keep him for no less than $5.3 million at 5 years or longer for less but no less than $5 milliion per year and a $6.5 million base qualifying offer.

But, were we to get him under the umbrella and be unable to retain him people need to know that we hold his rights as an RFA in a year where the rising cap will start a frenzy and an offer sheet of $6 or $7 million wouldn't be unheard of (imagine that 3 first round picks) we would be able to auction him to the highest bidder as it stands

Him for Edler alone is a trade in favour of Col, but being able to trade him, his rights or the like for a kings ransom because apparently he is the next coming of Messier judging by how people are valuing him; should with smart management mean an overall gain even at the loss of Edler as he very well could only get better. And as his production rises so does his value.

If we were to obtain RoR. Smart management could really turn him into an overall asset as a player and or as a trade piece

I agree with the sentiment 100%.

But I dont think you are on track? This year is salary is $6.5 mill

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1576

My understanding is we would have to send him a qualifying offer 10% higher than this years current salary to retain his RFA rights. Logically most would offer him a one year deal, then try to negotiate. Two years max. That was the real nasty in Calgary's offer. They probably had a verbal on something like 5 years and $27 mill or something. But say you qualified him for 1 year. He's free agent UFA after that if you do not come to any other agreement. And do you want to qualify him at $6.5 for more years to risk not losing him??? He's not really a $6.5 mill player.

So we could deal for ROR, qualify him for 1 year at $6.5 and he walks at the end of next year.

I don't like those odd's. I think it deflates what I am willing to pay to acquire him, big time!

I agree with the sentiment 100%.

But I dont think you are on track? This year is salary is $6.5 mill

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1576

My understanding is we would have to send him a qualifying offer 10% higher than this years current salary to retain his RFA rights. Logically most would offer him a one year deal, then try to negotiate. Two years max. That was the real nasty in Calgary's offer. They probably had a verbal on something like 5 years and $27 mill or something. But say you qualified him for 1 year. He's free agent UFA after that if you do not come to any other agreement. And do you want to qualify him at $6.5 for more years to risk not losing him??? He's not really a $6.5 mill player.

So we could deal for ROR, qualify him for 1 year at $6.5 and he walks at the end of next year.

I don't like those odd's. I think it deflates what I am willing to pay to acquire him, big time!

To my understanding as long as we sign him long term we can reduce the amount by 10% as well. So at 5 years there is the reduction and lower etc. Still not keen on the entire ins and outs of the new CBA so don't quote me on that

I had the same questions I came to this conclusion

His value is at an all time high

Were we to get RoR we could qualify him and keep him for no less than $5.3 million at 5 years or longer for less but no less than $5 milliion per year and a $6.5 million base qualifying offer.

But, were we to get him under the umbrella and be unable to retain him people need to know that we hold his rights as an RFA in a year where the rising cap will start a frenzy and an offer sheet of $6 or $7 million wouldn't be unheard of (imagine that 3 first round picks) we would be able to auction him to the highest bidder as it stands

Him for Edler alone is a trade in favour of Col, but being able to trade him, his rights or the like for a kings ransom because apparently he is the next coming of Messier judging by how people are valuing him; should with smart management mean an overall gain even at the loss of Edler as he very well could only get better. And as his production rises so does his value.

If we were to obtain RoR. Smart management could really turn him into an overall asset as a player and or as a trade piece

I agree with this. I also think that the deal will be for Tanev+ instead of Edler

If we send Edler the other way, it would be Alex Edler for Ryan O'Reilly straight up. There's no need to add more - history tells us that. Whether you guys like it or not, Edler is a legitimate top 4 defenseman and can play top minutes. He would be the #1 or #2 in Colorado. Just look at what Colorado paid up for Erik Johnson a few years back:

COL: Erik Johnson + Jay McClement

STL: Chris Stewart + Kevin Shattenkirk

If anything, I would expect something similar to that effect. ROR has some baggage of holding out and having to be paid at least $6.5 million next season. Meanwhile, Edler is locked up for his prime years at a reasonable $5.0 million. Considering this, I am not sure if there is a team in the NHL that can offer up as good a player as Edler for ROR. I think we should aim to get a 2nd player back in return, McGinn, who also turns RFA this summer.

COL: Alex Edler + Dale Weise + Brendan Gaunce

VAN: Ryan O'Reilly + McGinn

Gaunce becomes very expendable when you consider that we are getting ROR back in return, and we have Horvat and Cassels. But at the very least, Edler for O'Reilly straight up. But I would try to get McGinn added on by throwing in a couple additional players/prospects/picks.

YES PLEASE!!!!

To my understanding as long as we sign him long term we can reduce the amount by 10% as well. So at 5 years there is the reduction and lower etc. Still not keen on the entire ins and outs of the new CBA so don't quote me on that

Here it is from Capgeek:

RYAN O'REILLY'S QUALIFYING OFFER IS FOR $6,500,000.

Because his base salary of $6,500,000 is greater than or equal to $1,000,000, it does not receive an increase for the purposes of his qualifying offer.

NOTE: It must be a one-way qualifying offer if a. the player appeared in 180 or more NHL games in three previous seasons; b. the player appeared in 60 or more NHL games the previous season; and c. the player did not clear waivers during the previous season. Backup goaltender appearances count as games.

CBA REFERENCE: Section 10.2 a (P. 30-31)

Qualifying offers are for one year only, so there's no opportunity to reduce the cap by changing the following years.

If we put that qualifying offer up, I can't see why O'Reilly wouldn't accept it. And we have to put that up if we don't have a deal in place before summer, or else he becomes a free agent and we wouldn't get any 'reward' from other teams trying to offer sheet him as an alternative to keeping him.

I just can't see how this works out as a trade unless we're confident he will re-sign him for a more reasonable cap hit before the qualifying offer. I don't see them taking less for him, and I don't see them giving more either to even out that risk.

Next year goals

Henrik (15g, 60a) 75pts

Daniel (25g, 45a) 70pts

Kes (30g, 30a) 60pts

O'Reilly (25g,30a) 55pts

Burrows (20g,30a) 50pts

Santo (15g,35a) 50pt

Our top 6 with O'Reilly is amazing!! you can't even say these numbers are far off....Kesler and Santo would likely produce more with a high calibre player like ROR and the Sedins are good for 65+ pts easy as well as Burrows at 45+ when healthy

Supporting cast

Richardson

Higgins

Horvat

Kassian

Weise

Sestito

Shinkaruk (Call-up)

Archibald (BEAUTY)

Next year goals

Henrik (15g, 60a) 75pts

Daniel (25g, 45a) 70pts

Kes (30g, 30a) 60pts

O'Reilly (25g,30a) 55pts

Burrows (20g,30a) 50pts

Santo (15g,35a) 50pt

Our top 6 with O'Reilly is amazing!! you can't even say these numbers are far off....Kesler and Santo would likely produce more with a high calibre player like ROR and the Sedins are good for 65+ pts easy as well as Burrows at 45+ when healthy

Supporting cast

Richardson

Higgins

Horvat

Kassian

Weise

Sestito

Shinkaruk (Call-up)

Archibald (BEAUTY)

Lol

You must not think highly of Horvat then. His ceiling is ROR.

Comparing 18 year old ROR to Horvat, I'd take Horvat every day of the week. Bo will be bigger, has had more junior success and seems to only be getting better by leaps and bounds. ROR is a great player but part of the buzz around him is due to overachieving given his draft position.

eventually when the Sedins are gone and ROR decides to stay with us long term -

i see him playing on the wing of Kesler if or when Horvat can pivot line 2 one day

unfortunately whether it's sakic's tactics to get lebrun shooting out the asking price/whatsoever,

seems like ROR could be kept with them until the summer to make a run this April

Elvis below answered / clarified what I understood. Just ROR does not get a raise on his $6.5 if he is qualified.

So we trade for him and we get a period to negotiate. But if he does not accept, we have to qualify him for a single year at a rate we dont want to pay. Then he's UFA assuming he accepts. He has all the leverage.

No Thanx, not interested unless he agree's to a long term deal as a condition at the time of the trade...

ROR for David Booth!!!

Here it is from Capgeek:

Qualifying offers are for one year only, so there's no opportunity to reduce the cap by changing the following years.

If we put that qualifying offer up, I can't see why O'Reilly wouldn't accept it. And we have to put that up if we don't have a deal in place before summer, or else he becomes a free agent and we wouldn't get any 'reward' from other teams trying to offer sheet him as an alternative to keeping him.

I just can't see how this works out as a trade unless we're confident he will re-sign him for a more reasonable cap hit before the qualifying offer. I don't see them taking less for him, and I don't see them giving more either to even out that risk.

2 picks. potential 3rd line C with off the charts hockey IQ, future top 4 D with solid physical presence and a nose for the net under awesome contract. And....Booth

For an RFA player who has never scored 60 points yet carries a $6 million contract and a $6.5 million Qualifier.

Blue.....you're better than this

YOu over rate Stanton hugely.

He's a bottom pairing d-man, the type you can find on waivers quite regularly.

Oh I agree he's been a decent find, but he's getting sheltered minutes, and likely will never be a top 4 pairing type guy.

Colorado likely won't trade ROR, and if they do it will be for the best d-man they can find. it won't be for a collection of stuff.

Comparing 18 year old ROR to Horvat, I'd take Horvat every day of the week. Bo will be bigger, has had more junior success and seems to only be getting better by leaps and bounds. ROR is a great player but part of the buzz around him is due to overachieving given his draft position.

The Canucks would by giddy if Horvat reached ROR levels of production.

Archived