The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Change Needed!-Aquilini's Please Fire Gillis!

Ricciuti1

I say no to firing Gillis.

Took an above average team and turned it into the best team ever in Canuck history. Would be a legend too if we didn't get decimated by injury.

The team peaked then and due to a core aging and some bad luck and mental blockages we just simply regressed. Nothing short of a time machine could have prevented this. Failure to accept it is foolhearty.

My biggest problem with MG was not utilizing Hodgson and Schneider for Jeff Carter. But only people on the inside know if we had a legit chance to do such a move.

I think he deserves a chance to craft his own team and I like the some of the pieces in place already.

Honestly, the Canucks have been doing BETTER because of Gillis. Look at Santorelli, Stanton and Richardson. All producing at a good rate, and cheap as well..

Look at our new backup, Lack. 8-6-3, Signed for another 2 years after this at 1.5 million each.

I would have to say, that Gillis is doing his job fine. Maybe it isnt Gillis's fault that we cant score a damn.

A lot of posters are agreeing with this post, and I also agree has done a fantastic job of getting value from free agents.

As for the second point I couldnt disagree more. How does Gillis get off the hook when the team he has assembled cant score?

I don't think there is any rush to replace him at the moment; but preferably before any further major decisions are made with the team. Gillis might botch it.

Amen to that brother. If you look at my post history, I've been calling for Gillis' head for a very long time! He is an incompetent GM. Our team has only 3 legit top 6 fwds (Kesler & Sedins) and only 2 real playmakers (Sedins). The rest of the guys are all 3rd line players, they would be on a real cup contending team. Gillis gives every player he signs a NTC. Even friggin chris higgins has one WTF! But I don't agree with hiring Gillman. I know he's very good with the cap and doing contracts, but I dunno how good of a talent evaluated he is. I'd wanna get someone who experienced, someone who can re-build this team, Although whoever that might be will have tough time moving players with all those damn NTC's

I'd like them to bring back a guy like Linden in some sort of capacity. Maybe a player personnel guy and when he gains enough experience, he can hopefully move up the ladder and become the GM one day.

Its these stupid fans in Vancouver who run certain players, coaches and GM's out of this town. MG has been phenomenal minus the Ballard trade. His trade for Booth was a steal if Booth was healthy. When healthy he has played relatively well, if not we stick him on the LTIR. Hindsight 20/20 on trades, every team wins and loses on trades.

He has the knack for finding cheap and effective talent. Lack, Tanev, Santorelli, Higgins, Richardson etc.

Great with contracts, period. People complaining about Sedins even though they are on pace for 66 points in a year where the entire PP and offense has been garbage. David Clarkson got 5.2M keep in mind, Sedins at 7 are more than fair.

Did I mention he took the Canucks to their third Stanley Cup appearance in team history and was a game within winning the damn thing?

Ignorant Canuck fans.

Did I mention he took the Canucks to their third Stanley Cup appearance in team history and was a game within winning the damn thing?

I hear something to that effect every time this topic comes up, a reminder is not necessary.

It didnt save AVs job did it? Not even a Stanley Cup makes you bulletproof.

He has the knack for finding cheap and effective talent. Lack, Tanev, Santorelli, Higgins, Richardson etc.

Great with contracts, period. People complaining about Sedins even though they are on pace for 66 points in a year where the entire PP and offense has been garbage.

He does have a knack for getting good value with free agents.

As for their scoring woes... Well, he built this team. Im not sure how he gets let off the hook for that.

Wow, more and more people calling for Gillis to be fired... Glad I'm not alone in this.

Got to say this - after being utterly demolished in Anaheim, not to mention losing to LA and Phoenix despite a strong show, I was happy. It's giving a strong message that there is something utterly wrong with the Canucks, and Gillis has failed to address and correct it.

As I've said before, I'd like Gillis to be removed as GM and replaced with Stan Smyl, a longtime front office veteran who served at every level throughout the organization and knows how it all works, plus he cares more about Vancouver and winning a Cup for Vancouver than anyone else. Also would like to see Trevor Linden brought back as assistant GM for personnel, and if they need hire a new coach, I advocate Scott Neidermayer. Case you didn't know, Neidermayer's shaping up to be an excellent teacher in Anaheim under Boudreau. Instrumental in mentoring some of the young players there, and I feel he'd do well to be head coach sooner or later - ideally in his home province unless Anaheim or New Jersey come knocking.

Wow, more and more people calling for Gillis to be fired... Glad I'm not alone in this.

Got to say this - after being utterly demolished in Anaheim, not to mention losing to LA and Phoenix despite a strong show, I was happy. It's giving a strong message that there is something utterly wrong with the Canucks, and Gillis has failed to address and correct it.

As I've said before, I'd like Gillis to be removed as GM and replaced with Stan Smyl, a longtime front office veteran who served at every level throughout the organization and knows how it all works, plus he cares more about Vancouver and winning a Cup for Vancouver than anyone else. Also would like to see Trevor Linden brought back as assistant GM for personnel, and if they need hire a new coach, I advocate Scott Neidermayer. Case you didn't know, Neidermayer's shaping up to be an excellent teacher in Anaheim under Boudreau. Instrumental in mentoring some of the young players there, and I feel he'd do well to be head coach sooner or later - ideally in his home province unless Anaheim or New Jersey come knocking.

One more thing... if you guys want Gillis gone, then I suggest you join me in Canuxodus and withhold your support for the team. Sometimes tough love is necessary to get the message across, but until MG is replaced, I will withhold my support.

Your actually dead wrong. go back to the 1st page, there are 8 likes for the original post but a few posts below of MIke Gillis support is a +24. You also don't fire a GM when their team is in 7th place, doesn't make sense.

One more thing... if you guys want Gillis gone, then I suggest you join me in Canuxodus and withhold your support for the team. Sometimes tough love is necessary to get the message across, but until MG is replaced, I will withhold my support.

You're withholding your support.....?...well I'll be...

Yet you're still posting on the ad-supported Canucks message board...hmmm

Best delete your account and join HFboards.

Yes --- Gilliis needs to go. Torts needs to go. Torts is an extension of the Gillis vision.. When Torts returned to NY the fans booed. When AV returned to Vancouver fans chereed. AV produced great hockey, Torts stiffled his talent and his sytem (if thats what you can call it) produced many injuries. It is repeating here in Vancouver. Cut our losses now.

Gilliis has created a muddle. He inheirted a great organization, He has done nothing with it. Has he drafted a single starter? He made a terrible mess of the goaile siituation. He hired a coach who would not otherwise be employed. The wrong person for the job

Did anyone watch the post game interviews tonight, Pathetic --" We need to be harder on the puck" -- what kind of cliche hockey drivel is this? Sounds like a bantam coach. The coaches need to coach to the skills of thier players. Torts was fired from NY becasue he could not and he can't do it here either. Enough!

I do not know how many coaches and GMs have been fired mid season. The Aquilini family needs to define its brand. If they want to become a meiocre brand -- an LA wanta be, I'm opiing out. (Once everyone tries to mimick a product, the product is obsolete). Please lets stop the loyalty stuff for an incompetent management.. We buy the tickets. We support the venture. I am one unhappy customer.

Yes --- Gilliis needs to go. Torts needs to go. Torts is an extension of the Gillis vision.. When Torts returned to NY the fans booed. When AV returned to Vancouver fans chereed. AV produced great hockey, Torts stiffled his talent and his sytem (if thats what you can call it) produced many injuries. It is repeating here in Vancouver. Cut our losses now.

Gilliis has created a muddle. He inheirted a great organization, He has done nothing with it. Has he drafted a single starter? He made a terrible mess of the goaile siituation. He hired a coach who would not otherwise be employed. The wrong person for the job

Did anyone watch the post game interviews tonight, Pathetic --" We need to be harder on the puck" -- what kind of cliche hockey drivel is this? Sounds like a bantam coach. The coaches need to coach to the skills of thier players. Torts was fired from NY becasue he could not and he can't do it here either. Enough!

I do not know how many coaches and GMs have been fired mid season. The Aquilini family needs to define its brand. If they want to become a meiocre brand -- an LA wanta be, I'm opiing out. (Once everyone tries to mimick a product, the product is obsolete). Please lets stop the loyalty stuff for an incompetent management.. We buy the tickets. We support the venture. I am one unhappy customer.

Torterella has implemented a great system here, one that emphasizes getting in the lanes and not letting pucks sit in front of the net. He's preached the importance of having our "superstars" (and I'm using that term very loosely) play all facets of the game. Yes, you're correct, we're not as good as we were under AV, why?

Well first off, by the time we reached the precipice of our teams ability we had AV behind the bench for 5 years... After using the same system for 410 games + playoffs, the team knew every nook and cranny of the system. We're currently 54 games into Torterella's tenure (well 50...), give the team some time so that they don't have to think about what they need to do, but rather that they just go out and do it.

Secondly, We all knew the Sedin's production was going to drop, that was no surprise, they're more responsible in their own end and until this recent drought they were producing at the rate we are accustomed to seeing. So no, this is not John Torterella's fault.. Torts has done everything he can to motivate this team, including, trying to fight an opposing coach. What he needs is the core players to step up, ice time, you place all the blame on the coaches, when really the accountability rests solely on the players shoulders.

Archived