The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

It's like a chess game, Hartley gets 1st move and puts out their 4th line to bait Torts. Torts had 2 options. First option, send out our toughest guys and that would result in what happened. Or, we could have put out our 1st line in, won the draw, and skated circles around them and try to get a quick goal. No way Calgary's 4th line starts a line brawl with our 1st line ...

Torts reacted to Hartley's first move ... when you react instead of being proactive, you always lose your emotions (1st intermission antics of going to Calgary's dressing room). We're lucky to get 2 pts out of this because we played without Garrison and Bieska and were down 2-1 in the 3rd. It could have been a very embarassing night.

Torts did choose the more entertaining option though.

The one flame I do have respect for after watching that is Mcgratten...he wasn't being aggressive or chirping, and just tried to be the guy in the middle. I'm glad that he keeps his role to on the ice.

True.And everyone knows this about BM including Torts which is why sending out our fourth line wasnt necessary.Mgratten would not have jumped a Sedin.

It's like a chess game, Hartley gets 1st move and puts out their 4th line to bait Torts. Torts had 2 options. First option, send out our toughest guys and that would result in what happened. Or, we could have put out our 1st line in, won the draw, and skated circles around them and try to get a quick goal. No way Calgary's 4th line starts a line brawl with our 1st line ...

Torts reacted to Hartley's first move ... when you react instead of being proactive, you always lose your emotions (1st intermission antics of going to Calgary's dressing room). We're lucky to get 2 pts out of this because we played without Garrison and Bieska and were down 2-1 in the 3rd. It could have been a very embarassing night.

Torts did choose the more entertaining option though.

There wasn't an option to "win the draw and skate" because their goons were going to attack our players. They weren't out there to "win draws" or skate....they were there with a gameplan to drop the gloves and go.

And sure as hell the league better look at that. Because that's an attack, not a hockey game. Torts verbally accosted someone....but these thugs went on attack.

As entertaining as this game was, we'll get the book thrown at us. And the Calgary bottom feeder bar brawlers likely will celebrate their antics. And so it continues....

RR" "McGratten would not".... Are you serious? C'mon, what was the purpose of what they did? Of having him out there? They weren't out there to play hockey, I can tell you that. So you think they put those guys out there to "skate" with the Sedins? No.

There wasn't an option to "win the draw and skate" because their goons were going to attack our players. They weren't out there to "win draws" or skate....they were there with a gameplan to drop the gloves and go.

And sure as hell the league better look at that. Because that's an attack, not a hockey game. Torts verbally accosted someone....but these thugs went on attack.

As entertaining as this game was, we'll get the book thrown at us. And the Calgary bottom feeder bar brawlers likely will celebrate their antics. And so it continues....

RR" "McGratten would not".... Are you serious? C'mon, what was the purpose of what they did? Of having him out there? They weren't out there to play hockey, I can tell you that. So you think they put those guys out there to "skate" with the Sedins? No.

I saw bm and sestito drop the mitts as to be expected....imo the rest were pretty slow to throw if the plan was to only attack....westy didnt even throw a punch at bieksa....there have been far more aggressive line brawls than this one before.

And yes im serious. You will never see BM punch a Sedin.

True.And everyone knows this about BM including Torts which is why sending out our fourth line wasnt necessary.Mgratten would not have jumped a Sedin.

I said off ice. He'll do what he's told on ice and the way him, westgarth and jones dropped their gloves as soon as the puck dropped tells me that they were told to get it going.

On the other hand the our players could have refused to drop their gloves and let those Flames each take 5 for fighting, 2 for instigating, and a game misconduct just like what happened to us in Anaheim. Then we would have played most of the 1st on the pp and the Flames would be short on bodies the entire game. There is a choice.

On the other hand the our players could have refused to drop their gloves and let those Flames each take 5 for fighting, 2 for instigating, and a game misconduct just like what happened to us in Anaheim. Then we would have played most of the 1st on the pp and the Flames would be short on bodies the entire game. There is a choice.

Nope not an option in my opinion. Torts and the team were called out by this move and putting the top line out there would have been a big mistake. What if Henrik would have been popped in the head by one of these goons, You think they have respect for our top players?

dunno if anybody posted this yet but Hartley claimed to put on his 4th line because they scored last game.

Boxscore of last game (Calgary lost 5-2 so these are the only Flames goals):

3RD PERIOD 00:40

CGY Mark Giordano (6) Wrist shot - ASST: Paul Byron (8), Lee Stempniak (9)

5 - 1 WPG 11:59

CGY Lance Bouma (3) Deflected shot - ASST: Dennis Wideman (13)

5 - 2 WPG

Do you see McGrattan, Westgarth, Butler, Jones, or Smid anywhere on that list?

Hartley's BS exposed right here!

dunno if anybody posted this yet but Hartley claimed to put on his 4th line because they scored last game.

Boxscore of last game (Calgary lost 5-2 so these are the only Flames goals):

3RD PERIOD 00:40

CGY Mark Giordano (6) Wrist shot - ASST: Paul Byron (8), Lee Stempniak (9) gc_play_sm@2x.png?v=7.12

5 - 1 WPG 11:59

CGY Lance Bouma (3) Deflected shot - ASST: Dennis Wideman (13) gc_play_sm@2x.png?v=7.12

5 - 2 WPG

Do you see McGrattan, Westgarth, Butler, Jones, or Smid anywhere on that list?

Hartley's BS exposed right here!

Didn't even bother to check myself. It would have been a pretty flimsy excuse even if it was true.

This.We allowed the flames to drag us down to their level in our rink.Embarrassing really.Then we barely beat them.None of this woukd be hapoening if we were scoring goals.A bit of a deflection tactic if you ask me. Divert the attention away from the real problem of winning games.Torts helping out MG big time.

This.We allowed the flames to drag us down to their level in our rink.Embarrassing really.Then we barely beat them.None of this woukd be hapoening if we were scoring goals.A bit of a deflection tactic if you ask me. Divert the attention away from the real problem of winning games.Torts helping out MG big time.

If we do that:
  1. You're making a hell of an assumption the refs will actually do their job and make those calls
  2. Our PP has been dreadful, so this could backfire and give them all kinds of momentum from killing it off
  3. One of our guys could be injured if he's turtling. Not enough officials on the ice to break up all the fights.
  4. We justify the perception that we're a "soft" team.

I'm pretty damn happy Torts chose the option he did.

Didn't know if this got posted and I'm not going to scroll through all the pages, but here's a bit of discussion from Twitter last night on how the starting lineups timeline goes:

Dave Lozo ‏@DaveLozo

@TSNBobMcKenzie I'm asking you this because you are all-knowing. Home team sees road starters. How long do they have to think about it?

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

@DaveLozo 99.9 per cent of all NHL coaches take bait. If Torts started Twins and they get jumped, it's a fire-able offence. Can't chance it.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

@DaveLozo Not long enough apparently. Torts admitted he erred on Lain.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

@TSNBobMcKenzie @DaveLozo Though if there was one person getting more love in Canucks room than Torts it was Lain. Teammates loved it

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

@DaveLozo @TSNBobMcKenzie it's pretty much immediate. Off-ice official brings in road lineup and stands in front of coach as he fills out

Dave Lozo ‏@DaveLozo

@Russostrib @TSNBobMcKenzie If it's a snap judgment, makes a lot of sense to match goons. If you get five minutes to weigh it, who knows.

Except I highly doubt we'd end up on the power play for seven minutes. Your kidding yourself if you think the refs would do that for us.

Archived