The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

well i guess when you get shafted by the officials game after game its going to boil over. you can only push someone so far till they push back. Torts will have a message of his own for bettman and lap dog Shanahan. booth getting crossed checked in the head and hazel not getting anything more than a slap on his little finger.7 minute 5 on 3's. it all adds up. good for torts, the league deserves the black eye for such inconsistency and incompetence!!!

What a coach, and I mean that in a good way. Torts sticking up for his team is exactly what the doctor ordered. The bush league, that calls itself the nhl, will no doubt crucify HIM for his actions. So there's just one thing left to do. Someone needs to start a fund to pick up the tab that the nhl is going to assess HIM. Surely HE dosen't need the money, but what a way to show the bush league regulators that the whole city is behind him. Nothing more than say a loonie each from the fanbase. Have it set up with a bank. The TEAM would probably get a resurgence from knowing the whole town is behind HIM too.

Make a publicized Donation In tortz name to an animal charity SPCA or something equal to the amount he is fined? or something would be pretty epic ill give a dollar to the cause.

The refs have been throwing the book at us lately and Calgary didn't have to send an all goon lineup out to start the game.

Torts is letting the entire league know that we ain't taken their crap no more!

It's long overdue my friends and a refreshing change from AV's turn the other cheek philosophy.

I think the reason why Torts responded with his 4th line needs to be looked at closer. Hartley knows that Hank is injured badly and all day it was talked about him being a game time decision. But we all knew he was going to play... because he's Hank. Putting out those 3 forwards that he did was suppose to be a clear shot at the Sedins. So if we put the 3rd line out there. That means that the Canucks are letting the other team push them around! Torts would not be standing up for his players. Teams would realize that the Canucks can still be pushed around.

Say we put out a different line and we "beat them on the scoreboard". We even "danced circles around them". Who cares? You are not going to be receiving respect from any other team in the league by beating Calgary 6-1. We played with the "beat them on the scoreboard" mentality for years before Torts got here. It was so frustrating to watch. It also gave the Canucks a lot of press about being a push over team. If you starting throwing hits at a team who wants to beat you on the scoreboard; you wear them down and win. Boston, LA, SJ, Chicago (few years ago) all know this. But if your team fires back no matter how tough they truly are. They create that chemistry that can make any team win 16 games in the playoff. Playing the tough, hard nosed style builds a team. It's the teams that would go to war for each other that end up being the best.

I realize I'm not going to change your opinions on the way the game should be played. But I just wanted to share mine.

Torts didn't necessary needed to put the Twins out there, but if he wanted to, he could of just put Sestito with the twins to protect them. Worst case scenario, McGrattan and Sestito would have fought and the Canucks get away with a powerplay.

You say, we have been playing with the scoreboard mentality for years now, but that mentality is how you win hockey games. We didn't get to the Stanley Cup Finals with our goonary on the ice.

Sure, Tortorella really accomplished a lot with his tantrum, didn't he? Now the league will respect us, and the other teams, too. All the frustrated fans are so happy to watch a frustrated coach, because that's how they'd like to react in that situation. I guess it's just too bad that it's not how the real world actually works.

AV was a great coach that brought a ton of professionalism to this organization, along with the best years in this franchise's history. Vigneault commanded respect from anyone that knew hockey which, apparently, does not include a highly vocal portion of the Vancouver fanbase.

But guess what, careful what you wish for has never been more true. We're facing one of the worst seasons in recent Canucks history, and our reputation has never been worse. So yeah, gosh darn that last coach we had. :rolleyes:

Why do you care what others around the league think of the Canucks? Who cares? Do you think Chicago and Boston care what others think of them? Abosolutely not. They have more important things to do, like winning Stanley Cups. If you want to be a nice guy, buy your kid a shiny new bike or take your grandma out for lunch, but please stay a million miles away from hockey.

Now that's just a stupid comment. Their goons would be out of the game.

Why? I didn't say they would try to fight our top guys, I said they were going to take runs at them.

Like what happened in the last few games and we wound up killing 7 minute powerplays going after the goons that did it. Why would you think the refs would eject players for whats been going on all season?

Why do you care what others around the league think of the Canucks? Who cares? Do you think Chicago and Boston care what others think of them? Abosolutely not. They have more important things to do, like winning Stanley Cups. If you want to be a nice guy, buy your kid a shiny new bike or take your grandma out for lunch, but please stay a million miles away from hockey.

Mis-quoted ..

Hartley is a coward. If he had walked towards the end of the bench to discuss the situation with Tortorella like DeBoer did, the locker room hallway commotion wouldn't have happened. Instead he just stood behind his players looking like he didn't know what was going on.

I got to think that Hartleys post game comments, (they've been playing good so i put them out there) , westy's post game (our line has been struggling so i went out there to fight someone), the flames dropping their gloves before the puck along with comments by other players about hartley, him doing bush league crap like this before and being confronted by coaches before is just ripe for a special video.. :bigblush:

Where in my post did I say put the 1st line out? Put anybody out there and let the Flames take the penalties.

Yes the officiating the last two weeks/years has shown the officials love to give our players the benefit of the doubt when altercations occur... good thinking.

The refs have been throwing the book at us lately and Calgary didn't have to send an all goon lineup out to start the game.

Torts is letting the entire league know that we ain't taken their crap no more!

It's long overdue my friends and a refreshing change from AV's turn the other cheek philosophy.

:picard: :picard:

Yes the officiating the last two weeks/years has shown the officials love to give our players the benefit of the doubt when altercations occur... good thinking.

If they drop the gloves and come after our players, who don't drop the gloves, what options do the refs have? Get over your paranoia.

Torts didn't necessary needed to put the Twins out there, but if he wanted to, he could of just put Sestito with the twins to protect them. Worst case scenario, McGrattan and Sestito would have fought and the Canucks get away with a powerplay.

You say, we have been playing with the scoreboard mentality for years now, but that mentality is how you win hockey games. We didn't get to the Stanley Cup Finals with our goonary on the ice.

What I'm saying is putting anyone besides our own tough guys is bowing down to the other team. They put those 3 goons out knowing that the Sedins normally would be starting. Putting any skilled players out there is not standing up for your own star players. The message was that the Canucks will not allow you to try and pull a stunt like that with our star players.

My opinion is that the "get them on the scoreboard mentality" will always lose to a PROPERLY executed "physical mentality". I made the word properly uppercase because its the most important word in that sentence. Skilled teams can and absolutely have won against tougher teams. But when executed correctly the physical team will win.

Guest Cuporbust2

He said that Hartley was a master of manipulating things and coming across as all innocent and that he was undoubtedly pushing Torts buttons intentionally to draw an early advantage. Seems pretty likely.

Yep. It's common knowledge. Torts 100% did the right thing and that coward douchebag couldn't fight his way out a paper bag.

Archived