The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adding assets

50CON14

With the trade deadline and playoffs coming in about 3/4 months what realistic players can we bring in and get rid of to give ourselves the best chance of winnings the cup?, in hopes that it works out like the Jeff carter trade to the kings 2 years ago.

Id say try and trade for ROR Edler 2nd for ROR. then sign him to a 6 year 6 million dollar contract. then sign Callahan and Niskanen in the off season

No thanks to the two signings. Especially for Niskanen, his price'll skyrocket Jeff Finger-style thanks to some team looking for improvements on D. Stanton and our #6th D have done well back there. Callahan's also not the type of player we need to acquire for that kind of money, since he's not someone who can become our gamebreaker (plus for O'Reilly his value starts at $6.5M)

ROR, Kane, Simmonds, Voracek, Chiasson, Wheeler, Lupul ect? Seems like the best time to get most of the players we want/wanted was at the draft/offseason...

We have Bo, Shink, next couple firsts, maybe Edler, Hansen to part with. Any major deal would have to be for someone on term, as we mostly only have futures free to trade.

I would try to move quality packages for good young players that can help us now and over the next several years, then trade down in the draft and get a big handful of 3rd-5th rounders. Great players come outta there every year, just need more rolls of the die to land em. Look heavy into FA and College, a huge chunk of our team already comes from there anyway.

See Philly, Peg and Dallas as good teams to talk to. Isles maybe??

If you want prospects/1sts...well, that's harder. Not many roster players here easily moved..

Might be better to have 12-15 really good players, & 7-10 meh/mediocres to fill it out; as opposed to 18-25 strong players on a deeper team.

I say this with an eye towards expansion, probably in summer of 2015. Deep teams like Ana, Chi & StL will prob lose talent, when they've too many good ones to protect.

Dealing 4 for 3, or 3 for 2 might be smart, if they're specific needs that you'll certainly protect.

Rather just go the Detroit way. Detroit doesn't make many trades involving their NHL roster and builds a good team through drafting.

To be fair; Detroit has always had the fortune to find stars in the draft. Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg... But they have also had 4 or 5 year stretches where only one, maybe two draft picks made their squad. Yeah, they were stacked. As such, players had to seriously outplay vets to get on the squad, and were in fact stars. But a lot of picks ended up moving on cuz they could not pass the test. See Ville Leino. They just ended up being what they actually were; mediocre picks!

But for as long as I can remember they rounded out their team with veterans. No team better at signing / acquiring by trade veteran stars (sometimes fading elsewhere) who became remarkably productive again with reduced roles. Rafalski, Vyacheslav Fetisov, Bertuzzi, Shanahan, Chelios, Dallas Drake, Brett Hull, Hasek, Robitaille, Fredrik Olausson, Larionov, Larry Murphy..., even role players like Cleary and Kris Draper are all examples. More recently guys like Modano and Brad Stuart. Alfredsson and Weiss in todays world. Not all worked out, see the return of Samuelsson who got promising Nyquist's roster spot in 2012/13. They all took roles a prospect pencilled themselves in to.

To suggest Detroit is built on drafting and developing is a bit of an overrated myth in my opinion!

I don't think it would be a bad thing if the Canucks missed the playoffs this year and possibly next. I know Aqualini would be upset as they lose out on playoff revenue but I have a tough time seeing this years team getting passed LA, CHI, STL, ANA, SJ etc

I know that you don't want to wish upon a rebuild as you could get stuck in a perpetual rebuild like the Oilers are but if they missed the playoffs the potential now of getting a much higher pick(s) will help restock the prospect cupboards (I thought 2013 was a solid year so far, have to see how some of these guys play in Utica etc) but another draft session like that wouldn't hurt the club in anyway shape or form.

Hopefully Lain proves his worth and stays up for the remainder of this season as he might be the 4th line centre we have been needing for awhile ( decent on face offs, can PK and doesnt take stupid penalties). I think the biggest asset the Canucks can add next year will be some young ELC contracts to the lineup & of course buying out Booth

Archived