The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Marleau and Thornton re-sign for 3 years

AriGold

All those years we had the twins locked up at $6M while Thornton and Marleau were at $7M.

The twins had much more success over those years than Marleau and Thornton.

I guess the Sedin's contracts made Doug Wilson look bad eh?

I wasn't commenting on the previous contracts. I was commenting about the new ones.

I also though the Sedins signed @ $7.5M vs. their actual $7M. So there's not much difference other than term. Gillis should have probably waited longer to sign the twins - to see how their production was over this season under a new coach. Glad they are signed either way.

I wasn't commenting on the previous contracts. I was commenting about the new ones.

I also though the Sedins signed @ $7.5M vs. their actual $7M. So there's not much difference other than term. Gillis should have probably waited longer to sign the twins - to see how their production was over this season under a new coach. Glad they are signed either way.

the twins have taken enough cuts to be here .. they deserved the pay day .. these are the 2 greatest players we have ever had . and the classiest .. I'm cool with what they got ..

You're like the Grinch of CDC. Not even the good one, the Jim Carey one.

???

LOL, so im guessing Thornton and Marleau had such success in the playoffs right?

Just because Sedins are having a slower year than Thornton and Marleau this year, doesn't mean their worst than those two. Would you be saying this last year or a few years ago when Sedins made 6mil while Thornton and Marleau made 7mil?

Sedins have been good regular season performers..

but anyone that actually has watched them play in the playoffs can tell they are not built for it..

personally I like the sedins for their pure class and have enjoyed watching them grow as canuck players... But they are not the type of players that can lead you to the promise land come playoff time..

just way too easy to shut down, And the fact that they HAVE to play together and come as a set seriously hurts versatility

come on everyone, they're cut from the same cloth.

I love the Sedins as human beings, but them, just like Joe and Marleau can't turn it up in the playoffs. I don't care if they all have an average of 1 point a game, look at greats who raise their level and carry a team.

that's simply not any of those guys.

Jagr will get $2 million from yet another eastern team, Vanek will get $7+ million, Stastny will be thrown a $7+ million contract, Vrbata at $6 million and Jokinen...he'll net $5 million or more.

Not only thin UFA market for now for production but also going to be horribly overpaid

Yuck...hopefully Gillis gets ROR with a good trade.

Sedins have been point a game players in the playoffs for the last five playoffs. Not sure what you're talking about. Lack of secondary scoring has always been the issue

They have also been minus players during that period.

Even when they went to the finals, the Sedins were ranked 2nd and 3rd last in the NHL in playoff plus minus that year.

It's no secret that the opponents best players have generally been better than the Sedins during that period.

CapGeek@capgeek 45s

The 2014 UFA market just got thinner. Vanek, Jagr, J. Jokinen, Stastny and Vrbata are top five scorers on the list. http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder

This FA class just went from deep to thin very quickly..

Those that believe that the Canucks can solve all their problems this offseason because the salary cap is going up need to give their head a shake.

The UFA pickins are slim, and the players that remain will go for over-inflated prices as usual.

Gillis needs to avoid the UFA market and trade core pieces for hot-shot prospects and picks.

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau agree to 3 year extensions and score all 3 goals tonight in a 3-2 OT win over the Wild!

Yeah they can throw up impressive regular season stats with the best of them. Luckily for humanity they turn into Mike Pecas come playoff time.

The UFA class for 2014 has always been very thin. And it will only get thinner.

Did people think Thornton/Marleau were actually going to make it to free agency.... As far as I'm concerned the list of ACTUAL, AVAILABLE UFA's is just as thick as it was before.

Archived