The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Things are not adding up guys.

It's a process

Sooner or later those guys were going to depart either because of age (Salo) or because of contract situations (Erhoff). I didnt think Erhoff was worth the money Buffalo game him. Ironic that the only worse pp than Vancouver right now is Buffalo where Erhoff plays.

Salo was a key and he needed to be replaced with someone just as competent. Gillis failed.

No team, to my knowledge, has won a cup without a D man that can rush the puck, have the ability QB the PP from the point, and play big minutes against the other teams top players.

This team will go nowhere without a stud D-man. As much as I like guys like Hamhuis and Tanev and even Garrison, they are not the answer.

I thought Edler might morph into that 50+ point stud D man - but he looks like a lost cause right now.

lol i guess the sedins and ehrhoff need each other. :P

I always think of Garrison as the new Salo, but he hasn't been getting those bombs. Those OT winners from Salo really added much more to the win. Though he mostly shot from the middle right? Loved it when the bottle would fly off the net.

I hope Garrison can figure this out. I've always loved the guy.

Looking forward to 4 more years of rapid decline in play from Daniel Sedin. Elite players can play with anybody. Daniel is not creating anything in the offensive zone. I am sad to say MG may have made a mistake signing the twins to an extension.

But they are twins. thats different.

I also think that management has to be accountable here.

I'm really tired of money-ball pickups and reclamation projects.

An astute GM would realize this team is on a serious decline and that the core is stale. HE would be making a list of his veteran players to make available in return for some top picks or solid prospects retaining only enough vets to mentor the youth. I really can't see any of the vets on this team that should be protected except maybe Hamhuis. The rest are replaceable. Should be able to get some pretty solid youth into the lineup by moving 4 or 5 vets. I's even consider moving the twins in the next year .

An astute GM would realize this team is on a serious decline and that the core is stale. HE would be making a list of his veteran players to make available in return for some top picks or solid prospects retaining only enough vets to mentor the youth. I really can't see any of the vets on this team that should be protected except maybe Hamhuis. The rest are replaceable. Should be able to get some pretty solid youth into the lineup by moving 4 or 5 vets. I's even consider moving the twins in the next year .

If I'm MG I'm keeping Kesler and Bieksa on the roster to mentor the kids too.

Burrows and Edler are costing this team wins right now. Edler and Garrison are hopeless as a pairing, a combined -6 tonight against one of the worst offences in the league.

The Canucks have to either get these guys playing the way they did last year or scratch them or trade them. I'm sick of people defending Burrows, he's been BY FAR the worst Canuck to date yet he continues to get prime minutes. This guy is done. Get him out of our team, or at least off our top line where he's bringing down his linemates. Meanwhile we've got guys like Kassian, Booth, Schroeder etc. working their asses off for 10 minutes a game.

Despite injuries, we should scratch these two clowns. Go into the next game like this against Chicago and we'll put up a fight:

Sedin - Kesler - Higgins

Kassian - Schroeder - Booth (this line has had lots of chemistry and success before)

Hansen - Richardson - Weise

Sestito - Dalpe - Archibald/Ferriero

Hamhuis - Tanev

Bieksa - Garrison

Stanton - Weber

Wow. The guy breaks his foot and his jaw and your trading him for a bag of pucks. Give Burrows time, hes had a rough season. The guy scored the 2011 overtime winner against Chicago, the biggest goal in my opinion, in Canucks history. I will give him more slack. The break coming up should help him.

If you're asking me I'm finding a way to rid the roster of the following: Burrows, Garrison, Hansen, Booth, Weise.

EDIT: And Edler.

Daniel? I mean com on...$7M? IF he can't find his game, the classiest thing he could do is retire back to Sweden for the good of the team. It wouldn't be hard to replace what he brings for far less than $7M.

Sooner or later those guys were going to depart either because of age (Salo) or because of contract situations (Erhoff). I didnt think Erhoff was worth the money Buffalo game him. Ironic that the only worse pp than Vancouver right now is Buffalo where Erhoff plays.

Salo was a key and he needed to be replaced with someone just as competent. Gillis failed.

No team, to my knowledge, has won a cup without a D man that can rush the puck, have the ability QB the PP from the point, and play big minutes against the other teams top players.

This team will go nowhere without a stud D-man. As much as I like guys like Hamhuis and Tanev and even Garrison, they are not the answer.

I thought Edler might morph into that 50+ point stud D man - but he looks like a lost cause right now.

To Nashville:

Alexander Edler (ask him to waive his NTC)

Bo Horvat

Jannik Hansen

Nicklas Jensen or David Booth

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

Rich Clune

Edler has lost his mojo here. He needs a fresh start. This team needs more than he can be. It needs a leader like Weber. Someone who can manage a powerplay and can handle a captaincy.

Horvat has been heralded as the future, but the Canucks can't afford to wait that long. Hansen is another player whose inconsistency indicates a change of scenery needed.

Jensen gives Nashville another blue chip prospect or David Booth can find godly hockey with fellow Christian, Mike Fisher. That's what this team needs.

Wow. The guy breaks his foot and his jaw and your trading him for a bag of pucks. Give Burrows time, hes had a rough season. The guy scored the 2011 overtime winner against Chicago, the biggest goal in my opinion, in Canucks history. I will give him more slack. The break coming up should help him.

That's just it. 2011 doesn't matter anymore.

If you want to play the injury game JS just scored 2 and was far and away the best Canuck on the ice tonight and he just came back from 2 injuries. Get real people please.

lol i guess the sedins and ehrhoff need each other. :P

I always think of Garrison as the new Salo, but he hasn't been getting those bombs. Those OT winners from Salo really added much more to the win. Though he mostly shot from the middle right? Loved it when the bottle would fly off the net.

I hope Garrison can figure this out. I've always loved the guy.

Erhoff's strength was rushing the puck up the ice and getting pucks to the net from the point, I think that Salo was the main cog in the machine.

As for Garrison - I think you will be waiting a long time for him to figure this out Bob. I just dont think the guy has it. He might win the canuck skills competition for the hardest shot but I am having doubts that he can deliver in game situations. Ive noticed his one timers are terrible...his accuracy depends on stopping the puck first...this gives the goalie and opposing d time to set up.

Daniel? I mean com on...$7M? IF he can't find his game, the classiest thing he could do is retire back to Sweden for the good of the team. It wouldn't be hard to replace what he brings for far less than $7M.

Fair comment. I'm concerned that the league is figuring out that Daniel can't carry the team / struggles without Hank and you'd be harder pressed to find a team that can accommodate both their cap hits.

EDIT: And I'm a Sedin supporter too.

Seriously? The "fans" need to bit positive here rather than just "trade everyone!" Every team has slumps. Canucks will be back. Don't woryy about it. :)

That's just it. 2011 doesn't matter anymore.

If you want to play the injury game JS just scored 2 and was far and away the best Canuck on the ice tonight and he just came back from 2 injuries. Get real people please.

He was lucky. Burrows could have had that luck too, but his shot hit the post.

What reasoning do you have against benching someone doing absolutely nothing on the ice? Because he's Daniel Sedin? That's your reason? You scare easy, don't you.

Bring Lain back, hell even Weise. He's scored more goals than Daniel in the last ten games. Giving top line minutes to Daniel is wasteful. Kesler is at least setting up goals.

Sedin is the highest paid player on the ice and plays like a Utica call up. If being benched hurts his ego....good.Sullivan is scared to do it though. Tortorella should be the one laying the law down. Buddy.

So you would replace Pearson winner Danny Sedin for the great Lain? Ok man, you can think whatever you want but its just not reality. Sedin had his rebound attempt stopped on the goal line at the end of the game. If he scored you would be in love all over again.

Exactly. Get on with the youth movement before it's too late. Guys like Edler, the Sedins, Bieksa and Garrison are expendable. More losses mean those guys may waive their NTC for the right situation. I'm done with trying to convince myself we have a team that will compete for a cup. MG wanted a reset and the only way to do it is to make a bold move that changes the identity of the team from the core out. We are not going to win with our current core anytime soon.

He was lucky. Burrows could have had that luck too, but his shot hit the post.

Right. You can dismiss it whatever way you like. Fact remains, Burrows isn't pulling his weight (and he's not the only one) and it's high time people stopped giving him a free pass for one damn shot in 2011.

Why isn't Burrows creating anything like JS is? Point is - he doesn't even look dangerous out there. It's becoming comical.

To Nashville:Alexander Edler (ask him to waive his NTC)Bo Horvat Jannik HansenNicklas Jensen or David BoothTo Vancouver:Shea WeberRich CluneEdler has lost his mojo here. He needs a fresh start. This team needs more than he can be. It needs a leader like Weber. Someone who can manage a powerplay and can handle a captaincy. Horvat has been heralded as the future, but the Canucks can't afford to wait that long. Hansen is another player whose inconsistency indicates a change of scenery needed.Jensen gives Nashville another blue chip prospect or David Booth can find godly hockey with fellow Christian, Mike Fisher. That's what this team needs.

NOt sure I would give up Horvat yet....we still have to stock the cupboard with high end youth or we will be like Calgary for the next decade..

I would give up Hamhuis and Edler for Weber. Both have NTC though. Hammer is a solid player, has team Canada prestige and played in Nashville before...Hamhuis and Nashville might go for it. I would then bring in Corrado or unload Booth's contract in the off season to bring in some high calibre UFA that can fill the hole on D.

Nashville might be up for unloading weber now that they have Seth Jones on their blue line.

Erhoff's strength was rushing the puck up the ice and getting pucks to the net from the point, I think that Salo was the main cog in the machine.

As for Garrison - I think you will be waiting a long time for him to figure this out Bob. I just dont think the guy has it. He might win the canuck skills competition for the hardest shot but I am having doubts that he can deliver in game situations. Ive noticed his one timers are terrible...his accuracy depends on stopping the puck first...this gives the goalie and opposing d time to set up.

thats exactly what Salo did best too. those one timers.

well, i guess practice makes perfect?

Archived