The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*[PROPOSAL]* Alex Edler for Anthony Mantha+ Kyle Quincey

If we're out of a playoff spot at the deadline and put Edler on the block we will cash in BIG TIME. We'd probably get a bigger and better return for Edler at the deadline than at any other time of the year IMO.

Yep, and either way if we are an iffy playoff team, we could still have the luxury to move him to a contender looking to bulk up cause we aren't going all in and have set priorities for future first alongside just contending even at the slightest rate.

If we're out of a playoff spot at the deadline and put Edler on the block we will cash in BIG TIME. We'd probably get a bigger and better return for Edler at the deadline than at any other time of the year IMO.

Yup. Again Gaustad got a 1st round pick + in a semi shallow draft.

One would HAVE to think Edler would garner that ++ at the deadline.

As for Mantha and a 1st. I want to say yes every single time because we are so weak at RW int he org, Mantha trends very well and he is so big. Added we could get the Mantha in this years draft on D and keep the same name thing going.

Mantha, Tootoo or Samuelsson and a 1st for Edler a 3rd and 5th, we eat Tootoo or Samuelsson's contract to help Detroit in the cap area and we get a shot at Honka, Tuch, Goldobin, Scherak, Breacker.

Ya....done and done.

This is my first proposal.

In a perfect world I would like to see:

To Detroit: Alex Edler

To Vancouver: Anthony Mantha, Kyle Quincy

To Detroit: 5 million caphit

To Vancouver: 4.7 million caphit (Quincy is a free agent at the end of the year)

Detroit could really use a offensive defensmen who has the ability to throw big hits once in a while. I know that they said they don't like to trade away young players but they have been after edler since we drafted him. There have been more than one reports indicating their interest for Edler from the Ottawa Sun, TSN etc.

On our side we get a player who we could desperately use in the future. He is a big body who knows how to score goals.

You edited this.....

Yep, and either way if we are an iffy playoff team, we could still have the luxury to move him to a contender looking to bulk up cause we aren't going all in and have set priorities for future first alongside just contending even at the slightest rate.

Teams I would look at trading Edler to:

Detroit

Columbus

LA** (only if we're offered something ridiculous)

NY Islanders

Anaheim (same reason as LA)

Tampa

The best return would be two solid prospects and a 1st IMO.

Mantha outperformed both Horvat and Shinkaruk at the world junior even though horvat had much better linemates.

He also lead the tournament at one point.

Because that's a guarantee to be a better NHL player than a 40+ point D-man having an off year?

Get what you mean but unproven? That's the stupidest stuff people can say and it just annoys me...using your logic all prospects are unproven. Edler for Drouin? Nah, he's unproven.. :picard:

He's not proven at the NHL level at this point. Clearly you can read between the lines of my post so I don't need to explain in depth that his value isn't the same as Drouin's. He fell a bit at the draft so to trade Edler straight up (or with a pending UFA thrown in) for him isn't a deal I'd do.

Drouin's still unproven as well, but he has more pedigree and would be worth more in a trade. We'd have to weigh if that potential return is worth more than a player already contributing and then decide if it's worth it. For Drouin perhaps, but for Mantha no.

That's short term and both bieksa and tanev will be back after the Olympics which is before the deadline

Edler would garner more at the hyper active and ever expensive trade deadline. Remember, Gaustad got a 1st + and dangling Edler at the deadline would start a massive frenzy

If dangling him at the deadline would start a frenzy, surely we could get more for Edler then. Considering Schenn got JVR, we should be able to get a return similar to that.

But since the only teams that would want him at the deadline likely wouldn't be offering a top 6 forward, I think we'd get more value at the draft.

If dangling him at the deadline would start a frenzy, surely we could get more for Edler then. Considering Schenn got JVR, we should be able to get a return similar to that.

But since the only teams that would want him at the deadline likely wouldn't be offering a top 6 forward, I think we'd get more value at the draft.

Mantha is exactly what we need he is a big player who can put the puck in the net

Because that's a guarantee to be a better NHL player than a 40+ point D-man having an off year?

He's not proven at the NHL level at this point. Clearly you can read between the lines of my post so I don't need to explain in depth that his value isn't the same as Drouin's. He fell a bit at the draft so to trade Edler straight up (or with a pending UFA thrown in) for him isn't a deal I'd do.

Drouin's still unproven as well, but he has more pedigree and would be worth more in a trade. We'd have to weigh if that potential return is worth more than a player already contributing and then decide if it's worth it. For Drouin perhaps, but for Mantha no.

he is leading the Q in goals by a mile and anyone who watched a game at the world juniors would tell you that this guy is the real deal.

Mantha is exactly what we need he is a big player who can put the puck in the net

We could still get more for Edler though. Plus we don't know how long it would take for Mantha to develop.

If we were to trade Edler, I'd want a player that can make an immediate impact coming our way.

We could still get more for Edler though. Plus we don't know how long it would take for Mantha to develop.

If we were to trade Edler, I'd want a player that can make an immediate impact coming our way.

We are going to have to wait for Horvat and Shinkaruk to develop too might was well get another to develop while we are waiting and rebuild on the fly.

Imagine a line of

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Mantha in the future when the sedins are gone.

Fox isn't playing with McDavid. He's playing with Gaunce and Connor Brown whereas McDavid is playing with Alexander Wennberg.

He was for the majority of the season says in this article he was on the top line with Mcdavid. I also don't see why they would separate the line that has had so much success.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=700357

Mantha outperformed both Horvat and Shinkaruk at the world junior even though horvat had much better linemates.

He also lead the tournament at one point.

16 and 18 year old teammates. Horvat was forced to be an anchor and leader on Canada's third line. Mantha was also put in better situations to succeed.

Edit: Mantha played with some guy named Drouin so yeah.

Well that's the thing with prospects and I think you're missing the point. Prospects have potential and that's the risk-reward you get by trading for one. Edler has already past his potential and he has solidified his tendencies and habits while a prospect can learn...thus why a top prospect like Mantha is unproven like every other prospect but the potential is why teams are willing to trade NHLers for prospects..

he is leading the Q in goals by a mile and anyone who watched a game at the world juniors would tell you that this guy is the real deal.

Be careful about evaluating a players worth by QMJHL goal scoring. Now if he was putting those numbers up in the WHL i'd be so much mroe intrigued.

But it goes like this.

WHL tight checking low scoring

OHL higher scoring league

QMJHL goal scoring league little defensive measures.

Mantha's big plus is his skating ability and size which leads me to believe he will translate into a better player faster in this league upon entrance as opposed to a smaller guy like Schroeder or Drouin. His size and skating ability alone would mean he'd be a threat against an opposing teams blue line.

But after many years of enjoying high scoring players from the QMJHL then breaking my heart in the NHL because of the quality of the defense I wouldn't hang my hat on him based on that.

Archived