The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Dale Weise to MTL

Strombone1

Actually, Hamhuis has more turnovers per game than Edler. He's hardly been stellar this year, and if people want to slag Edler for the reasons they are Hamhuis isn't exempt from that.

What I did say though was other teams would see Hamhuis as a more reliable piece (regardless of his play this year) and would fit well in a trade with someone like Boston who doesn't need an offensive D but rather a responsible replacement for Seidenberg. With his value up considering how he's valued around the league and earning the Olympic nod, we could sell high on him as one of our two D over 30.

Hamhuis would bring more value back than Garrison, I think, and the teams going after Edler would be different than the ones interested in Hamhuis.

Makes sense but I can't see Hamhuis waiving his NTC. Doubt Garrison does either. They are BC boys who's life long dream was to play here. Edler on the other hand, not exactly a local boy and may be happy going east.

Oh, absolutely. Neither hometown guy is likely to waive, but perhaps Hammer would like a chance with a contending team if we really are in a mini-rebuild. There is a line of thought that they'd be willing to get us assets back as they near the tail end of their careers since they are fans of this team, but it's not like either is really at that point yet in their careers.

None will waive mid-season but perhaps the Edler to Detroit deal can be salvaged in the offseason. Edler has been our best dman this past week which is great to see but I wouldn't mind trading him for assets + cap space and throw money at a guy like Andrew MacDonald this summer. Although he's from Nova Scotia and may want to stay out east?

We pretty much traded nothing for Diaz because we claimed Weise off waivers

Players taken on waivers do not count as nothing. We picked Stanton up there, would have to be high to trade him for Diaz. Grabner was waived for NYI to claim, there's a long list of em. Weise was pretty good, him and Sestito, both waived by previous teams, gave us a legit 4th line.

None will waive mid-season but perhaps the Edler to Detroit deal can be salvaged in the offseason. Edler has been our best dman this past week which is great to see but I wouldn't mind trading him for assets + cap space and throw money at a guy like Andrew MacDonald this summer. Although he's from Nova Scotia and may want to stay out east?

Edler is like 80x better than MacDonald.

Well, who would he supplant when our line up is healthy?

Obviously a trade is coming, but humor me.

Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton.

It would be a shame to have traded just to push Stanton out of the lineup.

Surely another trade is coming.

Logically he would replace Garrison. Who has been playing predominantly right side, even though he prefers and plays better left.

Garrison would then replace Stanton.

And we would have at least one guy with pretty decent puck skills in the lineup.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Diaz

Look, I know I am really suggesting Diaz over Stanton. If I had to pick stanton or Diaz to start a team, I pick Stanton. But considering the complimentary players; Diaz just brings new skills no one else has to the table!

Logically he would replace Garrison. Who has been playing predominantly right side, even though he prefers and plays better left.

Garrison would then replace Stanton.

And we would have at least one guy with pretty decent puck skills in the lineup.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Diaz

Look, I know I am really suggesting Diaz over Stanton. If I had to pick stanton or Diaz to start a team, I pick Stanton. But considering the complimentary players; Diaz just brings new skills no one else has to the table!

Diaz never showed enough to Montreal to want to keep him or even dress him on a consistant basis. Now

you suggest that he slots in over Stanton and possibly even makes Stanton expendable. I suggest Canucks

do not even fully know what they have in Stanton yet. What I see is pretty impressive to date. Whatever

skills Diaz brings are/should be available with their existing top 4. I am hoping that Diaz is a chip

come March or failing that a fall back if a top 4 Van dman is moved.

Montreal was stupid in their handling of Diaz though, both in usage/pairings, and in scratching him.

If we do feel Diaz is worth keeping then it means we could be moving a left handed D and Weber becomes redundant. It's a smaller possibility, but we could move a right handed D and keep Garrison on his off side for now as well. A trade does seem likely though.

Montreal was stupid in their handling of Diaz though, both in usage/pairings, and in scratching him.

If we do feel Diaz is worth keeping then it means we could be moving a left handed D and Weber becomes redundant. It's a smaller possibility, but we could move a right handed D and keep Garrison on his off side for now as well. A trade does seem likely though.

That's my guess. I still say that Tanev (unfortunately) is the odd man out.

That's my guess. I still say that Tanev (unfortunately) is the odd man out.

That'd be counter-intuitive to building for the future, but he might be the only option. I think Diaz might do well for us in a 2nd pairing/PP role, so we'd need to look at shuffling the top 4 somehow.

That'd be counter-intuitive to building for the future, but he might be the only option. I think Diaz might do well for us in a 2nd pairing/PP role, so we'd need to look at shuffling the top 4 somehow.

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Garrison

Stanton/Diaz

Alberts/UFA/Corrado etc

Barring the (doubtful IMO) Edler trade CDC is clamoring for, I could very easily see it going down that way. If we can't keep/don't want Diaz, I could even see Corrado full time in that 6th spot.

Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison aren't going anywhere for the next couple + years (when Hamhuis/Bieksa's contracts are up) IMO. That's an awfully crowded top 4. Tanev has earned the right to play in the top 4 (somewhere). He's also going to start commanding top 4 money (that we can't really afford given our already fairly pricey d-core). He's also at an age between the current core and the future core making him a bit of a "tweener" in that regard.

Then there's his lack of NTC/NMC, that his current contract is quite affordable (making him easy to move). That with the cap going up he should be easy to re-sign for his new team. That he's got a LOT of value in a trade as an incredibly steady up and coming young d-man.

There's just a LOT of reasons he gets moved IMO. Which is unfortunate as I'd love to keep him.

If it wasn't for Bieksa's grit, I'd almost prefer to see him moved. We'd be bound to get younger even if we don't get quite the return an Edler trade would, and it'd free up the right side for others. It'd be tough to lose his 'size' though; Stanton has some grit and Hamhuis and Edler don't mind hitting, but unless Garrison plays more physical I don't think it'd work.

If it wasn't for Bieksa's grit, I'd almost prefer to see him moved. We'd be bound to get younger even if we don't get quite the return an Edler trade would, and it'd free up the right side for others. It'd be tough to lose his 'size' though; Stanton has some grit and Hamhuis and Edler don't mind hitting, but unless Garrison plays more physical I don't think it'd work.

Bieksa's here for 2 more years (at least). Brings grit, swagger, leadership etc that is lacking elsewhere.

Hamhuis and Tanev play similar games.

Edler and Garrison play similar games.

Stanton and Corrado play similar games.

We don't have another Bieksa. He also has a NTC.

Trade edler for a top 6 forward, Diaz has been phenomenal for us. Better then edler has been. Edler, 1st and 3rd for Mantha and Tatar

That's terrible.

Hahahahahahahahaha a top 5 pick? Lol ok

Well, lottery and all that. I doubt we fall that far to earn the pick based on standings.

You aren't in too good standings with comments like those.

That's terrible.

Well, lottery and all that. I doubt we fall that far to earn the pick based on standings.

You aren't in too good standings with comments like those.

It's not that far off.

And I have faith in my team. We will make the playoffs easy. There is no way we will get a top 5 pick unless something crazy happens in the lottery.

I'm not in too good standings by having faith in my team?

Archived