The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

re-thinking the idea of buying out Booth

brian42

Really so you want to buy out Burrows after we just resigned him? The Canucks credibility is already crap and buying out a guy who has been in the organization for 9 years? We already traded Schnieder after resigning him and we're shopping Edler after resigning him for significantly less money. IMO I'd let Booth go, he hasn't shown us anything since we got him and if the Canucks are gunna rebuild I would want Burrows to help the younger players ease into the NHL with his veteran experience.

I think the OP makes an interesting point.

Imagine if we traded Burr at the deadline for a 2nd round pick and bought out Booth in the offseason. That would give us almost 9M to go out and sign a free agent which could basically get you anyone you wanted.

Imagine trading Burrows and Booth for a 2nd, Vanek and Jensen? As a straight trade everyone would say yes, but that's what doing the above would do. You could get a big name free agent and bring up a young stud from the farm.

I say just suck up the last year of Booth and buy out Luongo instead. Seriously, we can't continue like this. Luongo deserves better. Let him go sign wherever he wants and use that cap space on forward help and a serviceable goalie to help out with Lack for two years before Lack takes over full time.

I say just suck up the last year of Booth and buy out Luongo instead. Seriously, we can't continue like this. Luongo deserves better. Let him go sign wherever he wants and use that cap space on forward help and a serviceable goalie to help out with Lack for two years before Lack takes over full time.

2 months ago I would call you crazy...But then the current day problems and I would say be far better for each side if both walked away with that buyout...Even if used just a reg buyout on Booth if they decided to continue still gets us a lot of cap and there are plenty of vet goalies available to split the time

It's funny; now that nobody is scoring I hardly feel I can factor that in to my assessment of Booth, or any of them really. With the goal production question more or less leveled out by team-wide failure, Booth's possession stats and speed make him look like one of our best players all of a sudden. This team has truly entered the Twilight Zone.

Burrows holds more trade value than Booth. Come trade deadline contending teams would love to have a guy like Burrows on their team for a deep playoff run. He could fetch us a decent return even with his poor play this season i.e Ryan Clowe and Dustin Penner a couple years ago to L.A. Booth couldn't get us a pile of pucks.

Clowe and Penner had expiring contracts, Burrows does not. He has 3 years left.

That's the difference between getting some picks and being untradeable.

Disagree on this call, although certainly share the sentiment. IF we rebuild, take a couple painful yrs & don't chase costly, elite FA's. Just go after avg, but rugged, gritty blokes, who'll help the younger, talented kids come along.

So we'd have cap open up. You can cover salary % on 3 traded players. With Lu, you could cover perhaps 1.3 mill/per yr. At 4 mill a season(HALF of Lundquist $) you can't tell me we couldn't get a decent return. Do the same thing with Burrows, cover say 1.5 mill, & deal him to Mtl as a 3 mill-guy.

Then use the last buyout on Daniel.

Daniel- 7 mill

Roberto- 4 mill

Burr- 3 mill

Booth- 4 mill ...We could create about 20 mill space easily, but should wait 'til 2015-16 to really chase top FA's.

Just suck next yr. Low dough & lay low. Try to draft the big star.

In two yrs if Hank is still struggling, send him to a contender & cover lots of his cap. Give him a chance to win before retiring.

We should go very young(we've already got many great young pieces), & just start fresh.

Clowe and Penner had expiring contracts, Burrows does not. He has 3 years left.

That's the difference between getting some picks and being untradeable.

even after clowe's terrible season he cashed in with a decent raise and now makes $4.85 m per year.

burrows isn't untradeable.

Why do people keep suggesting to trade Burrows!?!? We don't want him. Why would anyone else. His play has been absolutely dreadful, and at that level he has probably the worst contract in the NHL. Not a tradable asset even anymore.

Oh my. One bad year a player does not make.

Oh my is right. This isn't just a bad season. It's been over a calendar year, and its not just a lack in point production or scoring. His play has dropped off in its entirety. Look, I'm a huge Burrows fan. Love the guy. But you can't argue this. Canucks fans always seem to think the solution to improving our team is to trade the players we no longer want. Why would any team take a chance on Burrows at 4.5 mil per with 3 years remaining after this year. That is a substantial cap hit. Burrows is playing at a value of about 1 mil right now.

Oh my is right. This isn't just a bad season. It's been over a calendar year, and its not just a lack in point production or scoring. His play has dropped off in its entirety. Look, I'm a huge Burrows fan. Love the guy. But you can't argue this. Canucks fans always seem to think the solution to improving our team is to trade the players we no longer want. Why would any team take a chance on Burrows at 4.5 mil per with 3 years remaining after this year. That is a substantial cap hit. Burrows is playing at a value of about 1 mil right now.

Kesler had 4 goals last year in an injury plagued season for him. Burrows was our top scorer @ 13. I think we would have had takers for Kesler regardless, so I think we'd have offers for Burrows too. But I agree, its a dumb idea to trade him, but not for the reason you give. He'll bounce back. I think he's affected by the Sedin's collapse more than anyone else. Add to that his injuries. I give him a pass. This year seems to be a writeoff anyways. He'll be fine and raring to go next season.

When's Booth's contract year exactly? We all know that's when players play hardest when playing for a new contract?

Next season. But Booth's problem isn't lack of effort.

It's that he isn't trusted in key situations. He's been put in a position now to limit his game, sheltered, and his focus should be to just put up points but since the entire team is struggling... it's not happening.

IMO they should move him or sit him. Trying Booth with Santorelli because they had some chemistry in FLA should have been the last experiment. Booth was a reclamation project, it was a good gamble but it's way past the time to move on.

Oh my. One bad year a player does not make.

Really true. It's like some of the people around here have never seen a player have a bad year, or have no clue what it's like for a player to face multiple injuries during said year.

And...Burr is has more to his game than scoring for the (slumping) Sedins. Give the guy a break will ya?

Archived