The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

re-thinking the idea of buying out Booth

brian42

Bur is still more valuable for his 2 way game without any goals then booth is in his Offense only role with a couple goals.

If all else fails play Bur and kes as our shut down 3rd Line and #1 pk and we get our moneys worth.

Booth has played great the last couple games best forward on the team in those games but considering Kassian most recently held that title in the previous half dozen games i am not sure what to think anymore.

Spot on. You see it in the way some fans post too. The idea of trading the Sedins illicits this outpouring of anger as if one is betraying blood ties

This mentality is poisonous. The players that give the team the best chance to win should be whose considered. Nothing else should factor in.

I would actually keep the Sedins around solely for the purpose of mentoring our young guys on how to be professional. Last thing I want is a Seguin situation on our hands.

I would actually keep the Sedins around solely for the purpose of mentoring our young guys on how to be professional. Last thing I want is a Seguin situation on our hands.

The statement to have $14M invested in mentors keeps coming up, and quite frankly, I don't think that will sit well here very long.

And remind me of the Seguin situation? The kid has 55 points in 54 games.. he would be first in scoring by a mile on the Canucks.

What a mind game it would be to buy out one Sedin and leave the other to twist in the wind. :bigblush:

I am starting to think a buyout of Booth is pointless now. So you gain a bunch of cap space but where are you going to spend it?

If you do spend it,your most likely overpaying in the sweepstakes blow out.

The statement to have $14M invested in mentors keeps coming up, and quite frankly, I don't think that will sit well here very long.

And remind me of the Seguin situation? The kid has 55 points in 54 games.. he would be first in scoring by a mile on the Canucks.

Tyler seguin was worse than Bieber. You can't disrespect the organization that pays you millions of dollars by being a clown and partying with frat chicks every Friday night.

The Sedins would still be 50 point players. And believe it or not, they're really the only forwards on the team that aren't grinders. The rest are redundant.

Tyler seguin was worse than Bieber. You can't disrespect the organization that pays you millions of dollars by being a clown and partying with frat chicks every Friday night.

The Sedins would still be 50 point players. And believe it or not, they're really the only forwards on the team that aren't grinders. The rest are redundant.

He was young, ignorant, and stupid. He made some mistakes. Big whoop. The Bruins will regret trading a young star like that... Actually, they might already regret it.

Players will do that kind of stuff regardless of whether they have two guys like Daniel and Henrik on their team, it's part of growing up. Seguins just that kind of guy who likes to party it up.. He still performs on the ice. Ever see those pictures of Richards and Carter partying? I'm sure you have, and I'm sure you know what those two did a couple years ago.

And you say the Sedins would still be 50pt players, well, what's holding them back? I understand Hanks injured, but Danny? No excuses.

Even if I like Burrows and hope he finds his game again soon. I'd be willing to see him being traded if it fetches us something good in return. Not just because he is struggling.

As to the team treating guys too much like family members and thus having a hard time letting go of them at the right time; I have to say I agree with that statement to some degree. Burrows, Edler, Kesler and even Lui (or should have per some people) should be tradeable if the right package is presented.

We should have traded or tried more aggressively to move Öhlund, Salo, Ehrhoff, Mitchell, Näslund, Morrison back in the day. All of those more or less family members. Except Ehrhoff, being a bastard son or something like that... j/k

The only reason you would buy someone out, is you simply can't get rid of them any other way.

As terrible as Burrows' season has been, I still suspect he has trade value. And even if he didn't, I find it ludicrous to suggest that no team in the league would at least take him on waivers.

A few bonehead late penalties recently aside, Burrows still brings more to every game than Booth does. And Burrows' play isn't dependent on the sit-a-few-games-and-play-well-a-game-and-a-half cycle that Booth seems to be fueled by. Nor does Burrows look like he has to relearn what a puck looks like every 3rd game, as evidenced by standing there just staring at it while the other team skates onto it and does things with it. (Who knew?!)

And moreover, the coaching staff obviously aren't high on him, so Booth needs to go. Trade him if we can, buy him out if we can't, but get him off the books and out of our way. This isn't a case of Burrows over Booth, it's almost anyone else (probably someone from Utica) over Booth. That frees up money to help us get what we need for the other pieces we end up trading away so we're not limited to cap-for-cap trades.

Let me start by saying that I wanted the Canucks to buy out booth last offseason and I still think it would be a good move to buy him out.

The reason I would re-think the common opinion that it would be a good idea to buy out Booth is simply because I think buying out Burrows would be a much better idea. The Canucks only have 1 compliance buy out left which can only be used this offseason.

I realize Burrows has been injured & could easily pick up his game a notch or 2 but he is turning 33 in April and he'd need to pick it up more than a notch or two to justify 3 more years with a 4.5 million cap hit contract.

Booth GP-42, G-5, P-12 hits 69 .29 PPG 1 years @ 4.25 Age 29

Burrows GP-26, G-0, P-4 hits 44 .15 PPG 3 years @ 4.5 Age 32

More importantly then the stats is the amount of years left on the contract! If the Canucks re-set then they would only have to deal with overpaying Booth for 1 year Vs. 3 years for Burrows.

Even if Burrows would have a slightly better year than Booth next year I still think this would be the better choice.

In a perfect world MG would trade Burrows and buy out Booth but with Burrow's lack of production & his contract plus his no trade i doubt MG would find any takers

Thoughts?

Burrows is having a horribly off and unlucky season crowned with injuries. He is still twice the player of Booth simply because he can actually (and does very well) play in both directions. Booth is one dimensional. and that one dimension , is one dimensional.

Had Burrows played the same number of games as Booth he would have more hits, blocks (x3), and takeaways, all while playing against much tougher competition and playing in all situations (see PK and playing defence).

On top of that Burrows would cost far more to buy out. Booth will only cost a single season. Burrows also earned his contract with his play from his previous seasons, and playing for well below market value over his last contract.

If you think Booth is actually a better player than Burrows you need to have your head examined.

Both have been terrible. Difference is Booth has 3x the point production, in a similar amount of minutes, with lesser linemates. Richardson is our worst 5 on 5 player in terms of offensive production, his corsi sucks too.

I would like to see Burrows traded and Booth bought out.

I thought Stafford for Booth + awhile back would have been a good trade, but now Stafford has turned his game around.

He was young, ignorant, and stupid. He made some mistakes. Big whoop. The Bruins will regret trading a young star like that... Actually, they might already regret it.

Players will do that kind of stuff regardless of whether they have two guys like Daniel and Henrik on their team, it's part of growing up. Seguins just that kind of guy who likes to party it up.. He still performs on the ice. Ever see those pictures of Richards and Carter partying? I'm sure you have, and I'm sure you know what those two did a couple years ago.

And you say the Sedins would still be 50pt players, well, what's holding them back? I understand Hanks injured, but Danny? No excuses.

Why would they already regret it? Two words: Reilly Smith. He's 22 years old, leads the team in goals and happened to fit in perfectly with Boston's top line. Boston knows they gave up a young star but they also gained an unsuspecting one. It just didn't work out with Seguin. With where Boston is in the standings they aren't even thinking twice about that trade.

Booth brings a type of play that none of our players can bring. Speed with power and the willing to crash the net, no one else on our team is capable of doing this. He is one of our most deadliest offensive players we have because he has speed and power, the rest of our team are perimeter players except for maybe Kesler.

Seguin was a cancer to the locker room, from what it sounded like.

They got a solid return for him. it doesn't matter what his production is for another team. Where is Boston in the standings now? Yeah, that's what I thought.

They didn't need Seguin and his off-ice issues.

Archived