The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

re-thinking the idea of buying out Booth

brian42

Booth brings a type of play that none of our players can bring. Speed with power and the willing to crash the net, no one else on our team is capable of doing this. He is one of our most deadliest offensive players we have because he has speed and power, the rest of our team are perimeter players except for maybe Kesler.

He is playing hard, 13 hits in his last two games. He isn't scoring but who else is?

Big difference between Burrows and Booth is that Burrows is being spoonfed minutes and top 6 linemates. Booth as been stuck mostly with borderline 3rd liners in Richardson and Kassian.

I really want to see Booth turn around for the reasons you stated. A power forward with that type of speed is almost impossible to find. He doesn't have the skill or hockey sense to be a first line player but a 25 goal, 15 assist physical second line player would be amazing.

Seguin was a cancer to the locker room, from what it sounded like.

They got a solid return for him. it doesn't matter what his production is for another team. Where is Boston in the standings now? Yeah, that's what I thought.

They didn't need Seguin and his off-ice issues.

You should inform the Dallas Stars quickly! !!!

Burrows needs to produce to be a tradeable asset again. Nobody is going to want to risk trading for him and his contract when he is in such a horrific slump. Wait and see is the best approach with Burrows, I doubt he gets traded at the TDL and he has to play well from now until the end of the season to still have some value in the off-season. The OP does make a valid point though, Burrows' contract has the potential to hurt the Canucks a lot more than Booth. If he is still struggling by the end of the season and if the Canucks have to take on another team's dump to trade him then it might be smarter just to use the compliance buyout. You could also use a regular buyout on Booth, it would basically open up two roster spots and a lot of cap space along with potentially giving prospects a legit shot at making the roster.

If you are serious about retooling this isn't the worst idea. If the Lightning can buyout Lecavalier I am pretty sure "sentimental values" mean little at the end of the day.

Booth brings a type of play that none of our players can bring. Speed with power and the willing to crash the net, no one else on our team is capable of doing this. He is one of our most deadliest offensive players we have because he has speed and power, the rest of our team are perimeter players except for maybe Kesler.

Deadliest offensive weapons? All credibility was lost with this statement.

If David Booth continues to play as he has recently, then a buyout might not be necessary. A team that has room in their top six and needs some size and speed could take a chance on him. I can see Vancouver being the team to take a chance on him, again, but even with his recent half-decent play 4.25 isn't pretty for a bottom six player. He has to produce top six numbers with that contract to justify a spot on a contending team.

If he would just burry his f'in chances... him and Burrows.

As for buying out Burrows. Not a chance. Two words: Dragon Slayer.

You don't give up on a career Canuck who's done as much as he has for us that easily. If he doesn't turn it around this season, which I think he will, he gets another shot next.

He is still fast, he is still smart, he is still tenacious, but as is with most of our players, he is lacking confidence atm. Daniel Hank and Burr are going to light it up after the Olympic break.

Buying out or evening deal Burrows at this stage - is a non-starter.

The person who does that is like the one who has one of the most reliable vehicles ever made, gets a flat tire and a rock in the windshield - and sells their vehicle in that state. They obviously don't need the money and/or they take that quality and reliability for granted and don't respect what they've got.

The irony as I see it: Burrows, in the process of recovering from a broken foot and broken jaw - still has the best corsi-on of any Vancouver Canuck.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=30&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

+131 in his career, +170 in takeaways/giveaways, 152 goals...

Sell him for scrap when he takes a couple pucks in the wrong spots.

I'm not an advocate for trading Burrows, not by a long shot. However, if he was traded, I think return would be slightly better than the Clowe to NYR last trade deadline. Clowe fetched a 2nd, a high 3rd, and a conditional 2nd (based on resigning I believe). Because Burrows is already signed I could see the return being two 2nd's and a 3rd, or a late 1st and a 3rd.

With Burr it seems like the broken jaw is the major thing. He'll have to bite his tongue a lot more so he doesn't get cheap shotted like Sidney Crosby was by Chara. That and playing with a lampshade on. I've taken a good shot to the jaw and it really does change you in constant way.... you use your mouth a lot, especially Burr.

Torts probably wrenched his gears as well.

To be honest Booth looks like the only one who gives a poop in the game

Although its debatable to say he is working for a job next season, but whatever motivates him to play good Im all in for it.

Food for thought Garry Valk said last night that Booth had 24 hits in 4 games. 6 hits a night average

• 4 weeks later...

Archived