The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How does a team like SJ do it? And we can't?

grandpahockey22

I've been a canucks fan dating back to 1980 when I moved here.

I am just amazed at how a team like SJ can do it. They have finished either 1st or 2nd in their division except once since 2001 and they always have guys coming up the pipe case in point Logan couture, wingels, hertl, demers etc all SJ draft products in the last few years but yet we got dog crap ? We got no scoring presence and no one filling in for that for what is prolly going to be awhile.

If they can do it and are in a similar position every year we should be able to do it as well. What it has come down to is the folks running the show behind the scenes the GM, scouts etc making terrible decisions.

Being a former WHL player I am not only a fan of my home team but I am a fan of the game and how it should be played(I watch dozens of games a week typically). For that last reason alone, as much as it hurts me to say, I think I'll switch to SJ hockey. If you have seen them play they play high energy high effort night in night out. They score and hit and are capable of shutting down anyone. They have a coach that reminds me of torts with the energy etc but seems to have more brains overall.

I've been a canucks fan dating back to 1980 when I moved here.

I am just amazed at how a team like SJ can do it. They have finished either 1st or 2nd in their division except once since 2001 and they always have guys coming up the pipe case in point Logan couture, wingels, hertl, demers etc all SJ draft products in the last few years but yet we got dog crap ? We got no scoring presence and no one filling in for that for what is prolly going to be awhile.

If they can do it and are in a similar position every year we should be able to do it as well. What it has come down to is the folks running the show behind the scenes the GM, scouts etc making terrible decisions.

Being a former WHL player I am not only a fan of my home team but I am a fan of the game and how it should be played(I watch dozens of games a week typically). For that last reason alone, as much as it hurts me to say, I think I'll switch to SJ hockey. If you have seen them play they play high energy high effort night in night out. They score and hit and are capable of shutting down anyone. They have a coach that reminds me of torts with the energy etc but seems to have more brains overall.

Have fun with that.

We were beating the Sharks consistently up until a year ago.....until their draft picks (Couture/Pavelski...now Hertl) turned the corner and became great players.....Marleau and Thornton are now the second line....The Canucks are basically in the midst of doing the same thing,but SJ are a couple years ahead in their cycle.

I am by no means saying they are the envy of the league nor using number of cups as a measure of success. I am just simply taking two teams who on paper have had just as much success as each other in the last 6-7 years or so, except for our cup appearance and comparing it to where the two teams stand now. I will always be a vancouver fan but as an ex-player of the game, I see things differently. There is something also to watching good hockey as opposed to just watching your favourite team. Which is the canucks still.

We have a poor GM.

i think the biggest point this thread makes is that teams like san jose, boston, detroit, pittsburgh, chicago, and others perennially at or near the top of the standings still manage to consistently draft and develop excellent prospects, whereas mike gillis constantly uses drafting late as an excuse for his absolutely abysmal, shockingly bad draft record.

the guy preaches accountability but has never once taken ownership of a problem, no matter how glaring, choosing instead to deflect blame elsewhere or deny there's even a problem to begin with.

he's a scumbag, a hypocrite and a pathological liar.

I don't understand why people get so defensive about this post. It's bang on accurate! This is some of the worst, most uninspired hockey I've watched as a Canucks fan. They have been delaying the inevitable for a couple years now. Need new blood. Core needs to be shaken up, need youth and skill. I'm worried the Sedins are done and they just extended him.

Every team deals with injuries, but santo, Tanev and bieksa is hardly affecting or lineup scoring.

I'm retired. I'm 64 years old old a couple games a night and then the game replays on the nhl network. I've seen it all.

Welcome, and wear a fire suit here, too many on the opposite side of the spectrum that don't understand.

You envy the SJ sharks instead of Chicago, Boston, and Detroit??? As good of a regular season team as they are, they have NEVER made it past the 3rd round, have been slammed by their OWN fanbase for years for their pathetic playoff choke jobs, and fans have seriously questioned the leadership from "No-show" Joe and Marleau. Without Couture and Pavelski, the sharks would be spinning their tires in the mud. If you haven't learned from following the Canucks, it's better to build a Stanley Cup contender than a President's trophy contender, which is what the Sharks epitomize. You KNOW it's bad for a fanbase when last year they were out in force saying "OMGZZZ liek we didn't choke cuz dis time we lost in seven, yes SEVEN games, to the Kings instead of being punted out in like 5 to some random scrub team like the playoff fodder we have been for the past decade. No more petition to fire McLellan plz?"

Archived