The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT]Another Loss

Ryan kesler the beast

You may be right but Gillis can't move too quickly. Getting rid of AV was his salvation and hiring Torts bought hi time. IF he is going to try and blame another coach for this team's predicament, he has to b every careful on his timing. AV won the Jack Adams, Torts won a Stanley Cup, if this team is not competitive, at some point Aquaman will see the problem is GIllis, which I strongly believe it is.

I see if 1 goes both will...Have fresh personnel to fix the mess

I think people here look for "an answer" or reason for our funk but it's not just one person/thing, it's more complex and a combination of things. So many. Injury (obviously). Fatigue. And, I do think some of our players have shifted their priorities now that they're family men...they no longer live and die this game, it's just a job. They used to go home and think about the game, now they tune it out. Can't blame them, just how it is but it's inevitable that a younger, more dedicated crew is in order. Sad but true.

I am not packing it in on them...finish the year and see what gives. I do still hold out hope that after a much needed break they may come back and win instead of lose. And that teams who are winning may have that rhythm broken up. Anything can happen then. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up on the year as of yet.

Do or die after the break. No more time to adjust, figure it out or find answers. Time for action...we'll see.

But people who say get rid of ________________ don't see that it's more than that. A number of things have to happen and a break is much needed then these guys have to decide if they want this badly enough. I don't think Torts is the problem, I think he's part of the answer.

Our problem is that our team was mismanaged. Instead of letting players go, we resigned them. Sometimes, parts of a teams core need to change. Our "window of opportunity" has closed a while ago.

Hey wait, I thought hating on the team meant being a bandwagoner.

I hate how CDC totally reinforces what all my friends that hate on the Canucks say their reasoning is for disliking the team. The fans. SO many bandwagon sports fans in this city. Seahawks jerseys outselling Canucks jerseys the last two months is hilarious. Its hard being a longtime Canucks/Seahawks fan right now, not because I am having trouble supporting my teams but because I end up being subjected to the idiots in the lower mainland.

If you can't handle a bad run of 5 weeks please stop calling yourselves Canucks fans. Support your team.

I remember that well. His infamous "we haven't exposed them" rant and which in hindsight was bang on. It's also why I've believed for some time that the leadership group of this team had to change.

Exactly, I love that moment from him. He was right and came one Luongo save on Sharp from doing it. The guy had the balls to say it from a 0-3 hole and BELIEVED IT and his mates lined-up behind him because he stuck his balls out there a long way. I love leadership like that. Amazing player, amazing leader.

His WJHC shouldn't really be what you base your opinion off of. He plays on team Germany. Pretty much him vs the world.

yeah.....he looked a lot better the year before though, but probably a better team. I would have no issues with him in blue and green.

And we're only 5 points out of third in our division. I'd rather look up.

As bad as the Canucks have been, LA has been almost as bad during this stretch.

Even if we have a small chance to do something in the playoffs, I would take that over a top 10 pick that may not even develop into an impact player.

Here Here!!

lol at the people blaming torts for this mess...

a coach can only do so much.. Look at what the revolving door of coaches has gotten the coilers (while they stay loyal to the team cancer known as Kevin "winning" Lowe)

the problem starts with our player agent, and the sad bunch of comfortable losers playing out their long term comfortable NTC contracts..

In 06/07 we were one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. So he coached a style that would allow us to win, which was trap hockey. (it helped that Luongo had a Vezina caliber season too).

Then in 10/11 he made a 180 with how he coached his team and they were the highest scoring team in the league.

That's adaptability right there. Something a coach has to have. Tortorella's gotta adapt his coaching for this group, because no one on this team is playing well right now. That's on the coaching staff to get these guys rolling again.

So we should take a team that can't score in the first place and start playing the trap?

How do you know it's AV changing his system and not the additions made and the development of players? Clearly the players themselves made leaps and bounds. Good luck linking those things directly to AV's "coaching changes". It all goes hand in hand though. It's not as if a coach is fully responsible for the results his team produces. At the end of the day the players have to do their jobs. So Torts is far from the problem here. Torts could have the worst system in the world and it is still absolutely unacceptable that we have such drastic scoring droughts to the point you wonder if these guys are even NHL'ers anymore. Torts isn't an idiot. If he sees a problem and it's clear that he does then he will do what he can to fix it.

Our problem is that our team was mismanaged. Instead of letting players go, we resigned them. Sometimes, parts of a teams core need to change. Our "window of opportunity" has closed a while ago.

BINGO!

Capgeek pretty much sums it up. Canucks have a certain 10 player’s signed (average age 31.5 yrs) all with NMC or NTC for another 47 years to the tune of $276,043,130. Plus Tort’s for 5yrs at $10,000,000. If you’re a playoff team and winning Stanley Cups I’d say this is cool but…..Where are the wins? Where is the Cup?

In comparison, only the Penguins have committed more $$$ than the Canucks, but they have 3 Cups plus Lemieux, Shero, Bylsma, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang, plus their cupboards are full of prospects.

lol at the people blaming torts for this mess...

a coach can only do so much.. Look at what the revolving door of coaches has gotten the coilers (while they stay loyal to the team cancer known as Kevin "winning" Lowe)

the problem starts with our player agent, and the sad bunch of comfortable losers playing out their long term comfortable NTC contracts..

When you see a drastic dropoff in scoring like this the season a new coach is hired, I think it's safe to say the coaching has something to do with it.

This team is not as bad as they're playing. And when it's the entire team struggling, it's usually an indicator of poor coaching.

Not much to like at all. Not even a punch up to get the boys rallied up. Guess they couldn't wait to get off of the ice to change and get their flights to the beaches in the south. This team needs a big, big shake up with some of the key players in the trade.

dumping players isn't going to achieve anything........they need to move Kesler, Bieksa and other core guys who still have value....other wise it's not going to go anywhere

Sure it does....it buys cap room on July 1, and that's fastest ticket for an astute GM to get the train back on the tracks.

I think people here look for "an answer" or reason for our funk but it's not just one person/thing, it's more complex and a combination of things. So many. Injury (obviously). Fatigue. And, I do think some of our players have shifted their priorities now that they're family men...they no longer live and die this game, it's just a job. They used to go home and think about the game, now they tune it out. Can't blame them, just how it is but it's inevitable that a younger, more dedicated crew is in order. Sad but true.

I am not packing it in on them...finish the year and see what gives. I do still hold out hope that after a much needed break they may come back and win instead of lose. And that teams who are winning may have that rhythm broken up. Anything can happen then. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up on the year as of yet.

Do or die after the break. No more time to adjust, figure it out or find answers. Time for action...we'll see.

But people who say get rid of ________________ don't see that it's more than that. A number of things have to happen and a break is much needed. After which these guys have to quickly decide whether or not they want this badly enough. I don't think Torts is the problem, I think he's part of the answer. The guys need a fire lit under their butts...he's trying to do that. But it's really up to them in whether or not they want it badly enough. No one will be able to change if they are just putting in the hours and don't have the desire to do what it takes. Can't change that with coaching.

Theyre family men now so thyve quit trying and arent committed or working as hard?....gimme a break. If thats true then its pathetic.Most famil men worth their salt work harder with that responsibility.

Archived