The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

I would do either Franzen+Mantha or Franzen+Jurco/Tatar+1st. Franzen and Mantha seems the most realistic.

Yea I agree, although I am unsure what holland values more: Tatar and Jurco who they have invested time into thei rdevelopment are further a long and have a more confident idea of what impact they will bring to the club

Or Mantha, higher ceiling, less time invested in development and unaware how long until he will be or if he will even be an impact player at the NHL level

Tatar has already spent 4 full seasons in the AHL,

Jurco a year and a half, and has taken a large jump in his development

Hard to say how detroit (Holland) values these three and who highest?

We (CDC) clearly by visual consensus have ranked them: Mantha>Tatar>Jurco>2014 1st

Playoff performer. 10p -9 in 27gp the last 3 postseason. His contract sucks,. Coukd retire after 2016 where he stops making 5 million. Then we are stuck with a recapture penalty.

If he is getting injured in the east imagine him vs SJS, LA, ANA, STL.

Not sure why would you bring up that he might not be able to play against tougher teams. He's a 6'3, 220lbs power forward, who can skate fairly well. Besides that 1 year, where he missed almost the entire season, he's been rather durable (missed 40 or so games in 7 season playing in the West, since his rookie year).

Saying that he's not a playoff performer based on his last 3 postseason is like saying Datsyuk or Claude Lemieux isn't a playoff performer.

Not sure why would you bring up that he might not be able to play against tougher teams. He's a 6'3, 220lbs power forward, who can skate fairly well. Besides that 1 year, where he missed almost the entire season, he's been rather durable (missed 40 or so games in 7 season playing in the West, since his rookie year).

Saying that he's not a playoff performer based on his last 3 postseason is like saying Datsyuk or Claude Lemieux isn't a playoff performer.

So you are comparing Franzen to Datsyuk and Lemieux?

Datsyuk last 3 poseasesons

27p +12 in 30gp

Franzen

10p -9 in 27gp.

So there goes that arguement of yours. Not sure why Datsyuk wouldn't be a playoff performer with almost a ppg....

So you are comparing Franzen to Datsyuk and Lemieux?

Datsyuk last 3 poseasesons

27p +12 in 30gp

Franzen

10p -9 in 27gp.

So there goes that arguement of yours. Not sure why Datsyuk wouldn't be a playoff performer with almost a ppg....

If all you care about is points.........Franzen has a higher point per game average in the playoffs than Datsyuk.

Usually points matter for a top 6 forward. Wow I don't really care about the past. are we trading for the 09-10 franzen or the franzen thats played since then?

Actually, goals matter in the playoffs.

Datsyuk's:

8 goals in 30 games.

Franzen's:

7 goals in 27 games.

Neither of them have outstanding numbers, but for a guy who is counted on for offense that's not playoff numbers.

Forgot to mention, 3 of Franzen's 7 goals have been game winners, while none of Datsyuk's goals were.

Actually, goals matter in the playoffs.

Datsyuk's:

8 goals in 30 games.

Franzen's:

7 goals in 27 games.

Neither of them are outstanding numbers, but for a guy who is counted on for offensive, that's not playoff numbers.

Guess assists are a useless stat. They probably don't lead to goals right? Well thanks for proving my point that Franzen isn't a playoff performer nor makes his team mates around him better with 3 assists in 27 games

Guess assists are a useless stat. They probably don't lead to goals right? Well thanks for proving my point that Franzen isn't a playoff performer nor makes his team mates around him better with 3 assists in 27 games

Depends.

A guy can barely touch the puck and still gets an assist or if he makes an simple pass (that really does nothing to help to scoring play) to another teammate who passes off to the goal scorer.

Depends.

A guy can barely touch the puck and still gets an assist or if he makes an simple pass (that really does nothing to help to scoring play) to another teammate who passes off to the goal scorer.

A guy can barely touch the puck and get a goal also. If its so easy to get an assist why does franzen onky have 3 over 27 gps?

This deal would be ideal, and fair from all sides:

VAN:

Franzen

Mantha

1st 2015

2nd 2015

DET

Edler

Hansen

Edler = Mantha, 1st

Hansen = Franzen (Terrible Contract), 2nd

Next year's roster with a bought out Booth:

Sedin - Sedin - Franzen

Mantha - Kesler - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Burrows

Higgins - Richardson - Archibald

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Stanton - Diaz

Luongo

Lack

Why this works, and why I would still buy out Booth over Franzen, is Franzen for what he brings to the table relative to his cap hit is better, in addition Franzen is just about the perfect mentor for Kassian; Franzen's game while in his prime is about what we need out of Kassian.

Burrows dropping to the 3rd line to help mentor Horvat and Shinkaruk is good, as they benefit from his experience and he has less pressure on himself to perform; perhaps playing with younger more dynamic players will bring the offensive side of his game back to life.

Taking into account a raise for Tanev (2.5m AAV), and re-signing Diaz for 1-2 years @ 1.5 AAV, it leaves us with 11.5m under the cap.

In two years, Mantha/Kesler/Kassian take over 1st line duties, Sedins and Franzen drop to 3rd line, while Shinkurak/Horvat/Burrows(or whomever) takes over 2nd line duties.

Take out the 1st and yes

OMG Franzen is not the answer. I'm all for trading Edler but not for an old injury prone Franzen. Unless Mantha comes with him.

Im 100% with you on this one. If the trade included Mantha id do it in a heart beat. Hell no to Franzen for Edler straight up!

Id be willing to take Mantha and a 2nd for Edler...

Mantha is Detroit's best prospect. Don't expect to get him for Edler.

Would you trade Horvat for Edler?

No I wouldnt because defense is the least of our worries. Detriot might make that deal though. The mule is a cap dump. Still a decent player when healthy but hes signed till hes 40... Edler and a third for Franzen and Mantha is a fair deal.

Oh boy is CDC gonna cry when they see the actual return on Alex Edler.. Shocked how many ppl think he is in his "prime" just because of his age.. prime age yes, prime game no.. Franzen Mantha 1st 2nd lol.. We think Franzen contract sucks but edler is prime.. Its Manthas fault he is unproven.. a 1st is alllll the way back at 20th

Lets take a look at what the deal could look like a few months from now...

Edler-A player who has underperformed for years and has 25 mil left on his contract

for

Franzen-A player in same situation, but fills a needed scoring void and one of the best playoff performers in the game

Mantha-Top scoring prospect

Deangelo, Mckeown, Honka

Lemieux, Watson, Bleackley

I understand the whole taking on Franzen's contract to make the deal work,.. but this doesnt mean they have to pay for someone to take him.. he isnt ballard or booth.. otherwise they could just waive him cost-free and watch 10-15 teams put in a claim for him

Theres a reason why Edler and Mantha's names are in all of our proposals

Cant overvalue our guys so much because you are settin yourself up for disappointment when they finally do get moved for half of what you thought they would, then you scream for the GM's head

Edler has been injured and has not been playing well under a new system, but over his career he has been very consistent especially from a offensive stand pont (40-50 pt every year since his 2nd year) and you are telling me he was under peforming for 3.25 a year. His new contract only started this season. And you say he has been underperforming for years? Ooooh really?

His 5 mill cap hit is 28th amongst defencemen just an FYI.

Its well known that Detroit has actually coveted Edler for some time. I wonder why that is? Must be all that under performing..

Mantha has 97 points in 44 games in the QMJ this year

Definitely think a trade is plausible here

Edler

Hansen

Jensen

Franzen

Mantha

Canucks are 25th overall, draft 2nd, draft Reinhart

Canucks in 2 years

Shinkaruk Kesler Kassian

Horvat Reinhart Mantha

Sedin Sedin Franzen